Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Like Anglia, it has been a while since I checked in on this project. WOW!  You are proving the old proverb practice makes perfect. Not as if I'm an expert and certainly wasn't asked, but it seems to me is as if some sort of hurdle was overcome a year or so ago and the quality/realism jumped exponentially.  Keep it up! It is truly a pleasure to watch this world appear out of thin air.

Peace

2 hours ago, olsbooks said:

Like Anglia, it has been a while since I checked in on this project. WOW!  You are proving the old proverb practice makes perfect. Not as if I'm an expert and certainly wasn't asked, but it seems to me is as if some sort of hurdle was overcome a year or so ago and the quality/realism jumped exponentially.  Keep it up! It is truly a pleasure to watch this world appear out of thin air.

Peace

Thanks a lot, JC....... and of course, I am pleased that you find my diorama project so uplifting.

Onwards and upwards !

David

57 minutes ago, tbill said:

Harold and I have a bit in common, although I tend to spend too much, I did buy one of my dream cars a couple years ago, wasn’t new, but it was sort of a pinnacle for me.....

9BD7F830-4A95-4425-B640-B7D2AE499B3C.jpeg

Very nice dream car, Tom....... and you can be real proud of that one. The blue paint work is beautiful.... what colour is that? When you get the white top down, and with that blue sky...... you are living the dream.

David

2 hours ago, peekay said:

David, your diorama is looking fantastic and it's great to see all those English classics. Love your atmospheric photography too.

Thanks very much, Peter....... I am so pleased that you like the diorama and my photography. During the month of December in 2018, and also in December 2017, we enjoyed a visit to Geneva in Switzerland....... mostly around Lake Geneva, the whole trip was wonderful.

David

Harold is waiting at the door of his greenhouse...... his daughter is just arriving, and she is pushing the pram in which Harold's granddaughter is sleeping. They have come to collect some of Harold's finest tomatoes. It is early morning, and the shadows are long on the ground. He is pleased to see them at this hour of the day.

Harold agrees to look after the pram, while his daughter takes the baby into town. He watches the bus leave, having seen them on their way.

David

100_5278.JPG

100_5306.JPG

100_5321.JPG

100_5323.JPG

100_5327.JPG

100_5329.JPG

1 hour ago, landman said:

Why didn't he give her a ride in the Rolls?

The Rolls-Royce motor car only goes out on the road when it is Sunday, and then only when it is sunny and dry........ Harold is unlikely to drive into town, much more likely to head for the open countryside.

It is nice to see that you are following the story so far !

David

You nailed these most recent pix.  Have you ever considered compiling this into a picture story book?  Not suggesting what you have built or written is a children's book but all the makings of an adult orientated thomas the tank engine so to speak are in place.  A  hitchcock like suspense story is begging to make itself seen and heard in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, olsbooks said:

You nailed these most recent pix.  Have you ever considered compiling this into a picture story book?  Not suggesting what you have built or written is a children's book but all the makings of an adult orientated thomas the tank engine so to speak are in place.  A  hitchcock like suspense story is begging to make itself seen and heard in my opinion.

How very perceptive of you, JC......... the funny thing is, and this is only a few weeks ago now, I had exactly that idea which came into my head while I was out walking. Several of these photo shoots have developed into a kind of short story with pictures, as you describe. Part of this project is building the cars from kits and painting them, another part is constructing the buildings and populating the scenes with figures, and then follows the photography aspect of the project as quite a natural part of the whole process. The stories and the characters within those stories seem to evolve from the photographs, without me really being aware of what is happening.

Now that I don't need to purchase any more model cars, or add any further buildings to the dioramas in either of the two scales, perhaps this is the right time to consider creating a ' picture story book ' from what I have on the table. Prior to starting work on the first diorama project, I had written three detective novels which have been published as paperback novels on Amazon Books. The detective stories have a sailing theme and they are set in Cornwall, England where my sailing boat is now berthed near to Falmouth. The cover photography for these three books was produced from photos taken from my boat while I was living aboard for a few weeks in the Summer.

David

At the moment, the ongoing work for all three dioramas has been delayed slightly, while a car is being built in 1:24 scale. This is a Revell 1930 Bentley 4.5 Litre Blower and this car when completed will be displayed within the 1:24 scale Hooper & Co showroom diorama. To compliment the famous Bentley Blower, there will be two motor cars from the same period displayed alongside the Bentley....... namely the 1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Sedanca de Ville that was once owned by Fred Astaire, and also the 1933 MG K3 Magnette that was owned and rallied by Kitty Brunell.

Here we see one of the engineers at Hooper's factory, assembling the rolling chassis and preparing the engine and supercharger unit for this Bentley Blower. Later, the bodywork will be hand made at the very same factory works. The rear axle, transmission and fuel tank are in place, along with the steering column and leaf springs. Once the engine has been fitted to the chassis, the steering assembly can be fitted, ready for driving the finished rolling chassis over to the body shop.

David

100_5557.JPG

100_5562.JPG

100_5566.JPG

100_5571.JPG

100_5587.JPG

5 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Here we have a test fitting of the engine, steering assembly and exhaust to the main chassis of the Bentley. The wheels are not yet fixed in place.

The body is already being hand built in a different part of the Hooper factory.

David

100_5714.JPG

100_5716.JPG

Not from the Printle Shop, Pat...... this engineer figure is from the 1:24 scale ICM set of three Henry Ford figures, produced in Ukraine and plenty available on Ebay quite cheaply. They are 1910 period, and I have the set of two gasoline loaders also.

David

s-l400.jpg

On 2/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, tbill said:

Harold and I have a bit in common, although I tend to spend too much, I did buy one of my dream cars a couple years ago, wasn’t new, but it was sort of a pinnacle for me.....

9BD7F830-4A95-4425-B640-B7D2AE499B3C.jpeg

Nice C5. Love that color! I'm also Corvette enthusiast. I have one real Corvette, and about 30 die casts in my collection: https://www.shamblesmodels.com/real-cars.html 

Edited by Shambles
text

Harold Brown is having his Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud taken into the official Rolls-Royce dealership for a routine service. The service centre are collecting the motor car from his house, and bringing Harold a Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn, for him to use while his car is being serviced. This is all part of the service that you would expect from the Rolls-Royce company.

David

100_5850.JPG

100_5863.JPG

100_5869.JPG

100_5873.JPG

100_5882.JPG

100_5912.JPG

I received an email message tonight from the RREC  ( Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club ) informing all members that the RREC Annual Rally in June has had to be cancelled, due to the COVID-19 pandemic...... this was to be expected really, and it means that my three scale model Hooper & Co dioramas will not be displayed this June at this prestigious International exhibition. Now I have to re-think my strategy for 2020.

One idea that I have been considering over the past week or two, would be to produce a YouTube video with commentary by myself, that takes the format of a walk around the streets of the three dioramas and shows all the cars, the buildings and the figures. The video could include a full explanation of how this project evolved, along with the background story behind the Hooper company and of course interesting details regarding the Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars. I haven't produced a YouTube video before, so this would be a new experience for me. My intention would be to approach the RREC and suggest posting a link on their web site, which would allow members to view the diorama display online, as opposed to viewing the display on a table in a marquee at the live event.

Work continues on the build of the 1:24 Revell 1930 Bentley 4.5 litre Blower......... the engineer is test fitting the bonnet panels, having already fitted the handbrake lever, the steering linkages and the spare wheel carrier. The radiator grille and cowling is in place, complete with brass filler cap. The two bonnet panels are being cut into four panels, and hinged along their centre line so that the magnificent engine can be viewed from both sides of the car. The huge steering wheel has been fitted and also the front registration number plate. Shortly, the mudguards for the road wheels will be fitted, and also the fly screens.

David

100_6057.JPG

100_6067.JPG

100_6077.JPG

It was such a fine day today....... 15 degrees outside, clear blue skies and hardly any breeze. The 1:24 Bentley Blower build is nearing completion, and this car will be photographed at some point with other motor cars of the same period, within the 1:24 scale Hooper & Co diorama. Today, I opened up the roof window in the loft, and from my workbench I was able to photograph the Bentley in natural daylight and with an interesting background also.

I have included a couple of shots of the 1968 Pontiac Parisienne 4-door in the same roof window setting, just to see how it looked.

David

100_6267.JPG

100_6280.JPG

100_6301.JPG

100_6327.JPG

100_6331.JPG

12 minutes ago, landman said:

Nice. I like the shot with the mechanic and the rooftops.If I were to do that here, the background would be very white. In any case I won't be able to do it as there is no loft.?

Thanks, Pat....... something about the way the mechanic appears to be looking out over the rooftops appealed to me while I was taking shots yesterday. This is the first time that I have used this location for a photo shoot, as we only had the VELUX roof window fitted 8 days ago.

David