• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Dodge 4x4 truck

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I built this truck a few years ago and I am going to change the bed to a smooth side.  The smooth side is from an older truck but that's Ok.  I do have an older hood and grills to choose from if I want.  Here are some pics of the start of the build.  I cut out part of the bed from the front to fit the wheel base of the short wheel base truck.  I also had to make a resin copy of the inner bed part for the tail gate.  I hope that I can find another short wheel base truck instead of converting this one.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

Posted

Cool Dan....  Id like to restore some old long beds I have if i can ever find what they need....they should reissue them for us.

Posted

I think your truck looks great the way it is, I'd leave it alone.   I'd focus on finding another truck for your smooth side project.  With the different year grill, the two of them would look nice side by side.

The Little Red Truck version was out not too long ago. Should be fairly easy to find an unbuilt one.. fresh kit to start with!

Posted

I'm with Tom on this one. The Step Side is just to nice to throw away the bed. I'd look for the Little Red Truck kit as there is quite a few out there.

Posted

Thanks guys.  I'm looking for another truck cause I want to keep the step side also.  What might happen is I'll have two beds for one truck and that I don't want to do.  I also started to convert the cap from the 65 Elcamino to fit this smooth side bed.  This will take a lot of work but I have a spare cap to work on.  What I intend to do is make a replica (sort of) of a 1987 Dodge truck that I had a few years ago.  We'll see how this goes.  Dan

Posted

Thanks guys.  I'm looking for another truck cause I want to keep the step side also.  What might happen is I'll have two beds for one truck and that I don't want to do.  I also started to convert the cap from the 65 Elcamino to fit this smooth side bed.  This will take a lot of work but I have a spare cap to work on.  What I intend to do is make a replica (sort of) of a 1987 Dodge truck that I had a few years ago.  We'll see how this goes.  Dan

You could always use the extra bed to make a trailer...

Posted

Thanks John, but I want to keep the step side also.  That's why I'm going to try and find another 4x4.  Dan

Posted

A number of these truck parts are available in resin. Should you be interested, I can point you in the right direction. The grilles, the short smoothside bed, and the 4x4 running gear are out there.

Posted

Thanks for the offer Frank.  I have found some more parts for this build.  Here are some updated pics of what I'm doing to this truck.  I shortened the long bed chassis for this truck and I'm combining two caps from AMT's 65 El Camino kits to fit on the bed.  Still a lot of work to do on this.  I have to find all the chassis parts for the 4x4 yet.  I also need to make a gas tank for the chassis.

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

Posted

I like it...!

Posted

Thanks Mark.  I'm going to Zanesville this Saturday and I'm going to try and find the parts for the frame that I need at the model show.  Dan

Posted

Thanks Mark.  I'm going to Zanesville this Saturday and I'm going to try and find the parts for the frame that I need at the model show.  Dan

Posted

Dan... I know that feeling needing parts...LOL...cant find anything for mine around here in my area for them.   Would be nice if the companies would reissue the old 73-76 Dodge long bed pickups for us MPC made years ago.

Posted

B-N-L resin has the 4x4 parts. The Modelhaus had a bunch of parts- grilles, short bed, hoods- but are no longer accepting orders. Haven't seen anyone else offer the parts they did, but sure would be nice if someone did.

Posted

Thanks Mike and guys I hear ya about someone should be making or re-issuing these kits.  Dan

Posted

Dan... I know that feeling needing parts...LOL...cant find anything for mine around here in my area for them.   Would be nice if the companies would reissue the old 73-76 Dodge long bed pickups for us MPC made years ago.

I would think that with trucks being a big thing in the 1:1 world, if those molds were usable they would have had those trucks on the shelf by now. 

Posted

I would think that with trucks being a big thing in the 1:1 world, if those molds were usable they would have had those trucks on the shelf by now. 

Andy.....I wish they could and would....I loved those kits.  Secondly my family owned a few of them Id like to make replicas of....one would know they would sell very easily too...specially if they brought them back in the original 3 in 1 issues.