Model Cars Magazine Forum

I built this truck a few years ago and I am going to change the bed to a smooth side.  The smooth side is from an older truck but that's Ok.  I do have an older hood and grills to choose from if I want.  Here are some pics of the start of the build.  I cut out part of the bed from the front to fit the wheel base of the short wheel base truck.  I also had to make a resin copy of the inner bed part for the tail gate.  I hope that I can find another short wheel base truck instead of converting this one.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

I think your truck looks great the way it is, I'd leave it alone.   I'd focus on finding another truck for your smooth side project.  With the different year grill, the two of them would look nice side by side.

The Little Red Truck version was out not too long ago. Should be fairly easy to find an unbuilt one.. fresh kit to start with!

Thanks guys.  I'm looking for another truck cause I want to keep the step side also.  What might happen is I'll have two beds for one truck and that I don't want to do.  I also started to convert the cap from the 65 Elcamino to fit this smooth side bed.  This will take a lot of work but I have a spare cap to work on.  What I intend to do is make a replica (sort of) of a 1987 Dodge truck that I had a few years ago.  We'll see how this goes.  Dan

Thanks guys.  I'm looking for another truck cause I want to keep the step side also.  What might happen is I'll have two beds for one truck and that I don't want to do.  I also started to convert the cap from the 65 Elcamino to fit this smooth side bed.  This will take a lot of work but I have a spare cap to work on.  What I intend to do is make a replica (sort of) of a 1987 Dodge truck that I had a few years ago.  We'll see how this goes.  Dan

You could always use the extra bed to make a trailer...

Thanks for the offer Frank.  I have found some more parts for this build.  Here are some updated pics of what I'm doing to this truck.  I shortened the long bed chassis for this truck and I'm combining two caps from AMT's 65 El Camino kits to fit on the bed.  Still a lot of work to do on this.  I have to find all the chassis parts for the 4x4 yet.  I also need to make a gas tank for the chassis.

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

Thanks Mark.  I'm going to Zanesville this Saturday and I'm going to try and find the parts for the frame that I need at the model show.  Dan

Dan... I know that feeling needing parts...LOL...cant find anything for mine around here in my area for them.   Would be nice if the companies would reissue the old 73-76 Dodge long bed pickups for us MPC made years ago.

Dan... I know that feeling needing parts...LOL...cant find anything for mine around here in my area for them.   Would be nice if the companies would reissue the old 73-76 Dodge long bed pickups for us MPC made years ago.

I would think that with trucks being a big thing in the 1:1 world, if those molds were usable they would have had those trucks on the shelf by now. 

I would think that with trucks being a big thing in the 1:1 world, if those molds were usable they would have had those trucks on the shelf by now. 

Andy.....I wish they could and would....I loved those kits.  Secondly my family owned a few of them Id like to make replicas of....one would know they would sell very easily too...specially if they brought them back in the original 3 in 1 issues.

• 3 months later...

Sorry it took so long to post more pics.  I made copies of the parts I needed from another kit.  The drive line parts are made of resin.  I used fingernail resin for the drive shafts and front shocks.  The rear shocks came from the parts box.  I also opened up the windows on the top.  Still a lot of work to be done.  The 4x4 6 lug wheels are also from the parts box.  The long bed is a 3/4 ton truck and I couldn't use the wheels cause they're 8 lug.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

Thanks Edward.  I hear ya on the old kits.  I have one long bed and some parts of another, so, I'm trying to replicate one that I had.  Of course mine was an 87 and this is an older model, but that doesn't really matter.  It will be close enough for me.  It will be the same color though.  I have the touch up paint for the 1:1 truck.  The kit that I have all the parts for is a 3/4 ton truck with 8 lug wheels and this one is a 1/2 ton Power Ram with 6 lug wheels.  I'm just glad that I have the kit with everything needed and was able to copy the parts needed.  I had to shorten the bed and the chassis along with the rear drive shaft to fit.