• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

MPC 1975 Datsun Pickup 3n1 Kit Parts Review

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The LIL-Hustler is back!  Sweet repop. 8, yup, 8 new tires including gorgeous GT Radials. Parts looks clean and straight, detail is sharp. Decals are redone and very clean, multiple options for Datsun, even as just letters. Poseable steering too. 
3n1 kit, good amount of left over parts for the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN38f7eTgb4 

Edited by hpiguy

Posted

Can't wait to grab a few! 

Thanks for another great review! 

Posted

After a bad experience, I've tried to stay away from these reissues. But this one actually looks pretty cool. Going to look for one.

Posted

Thanks for the review, definitely got to get one or two of these.

My observation- the ejector pin marks on the bottom of the hood look like they will be a bear to fix, otherwise it looks like a decent job was done to restore the tool.

Posted

Cool nice tires and Decals ! thanks Chris.

Posted

Nice review as always , Chris !

One thing which needs to be pointed out on this reissue versus the original Datsun Pickup annuals ( all years ) : Originally , the stock tyres and wheels were moulded-together ; this reissue has the wheels ( hub caps on plain steel wheels ) moulded separate ! No more plastic tyres ! Granted , D78-14's aren't exactly a premium ; however , they're mighty close to the OEM , U.S.-spec tyres these originally had .

The real pièce de résistance would have been the inclusion of the camper shell from the Black Hawk issue from c.1978 ! 

Posted

Hello everyone

Nice review as always; was so looking forward to getting more epic fat rubber from the original Datsun kits.

MPC's Rising Sun had these on the front, and IIRC, even wider meats on the rear.

These tires were common on MPC's NASCAR kits, ie., "Southern Stocker" Regal, Monte Carlo, etc.

Would love to get more and throw 'em under everything I'm working on.

IMG_3372.JPG

Posted

Another great review Chris. 

Posted

Hello everyone

Nice review as always; was so looking forward to getting more epic fat rubber from the original Datsun kits.

MPC's Rising Sun had these on the front, and IIRC, even wider meats on the rear.

These tires were common on MPC's NASCAR kits, ie., "Southern Stocker" Regal, Monte Carlo, etc.

Would love to get more and throw 'em under everything I'm working on.

IMG_3372.JPG

you are right this kit use to have them tires ,to bad they did not make it to this kit!

Posted

Nice review as always , Chris !

One thing which needs to be pointed out on this reissue versus the original Datsun Pickup annuals ( all years ) : Originally , the stock tyres and wheels were moulded-together ; this reissue has the wheels ( hub caps on plain steel wheels ) moulded separate ! No more plastic tyres ! Granted , D78-14's aren't exactly a premium ; however , they're mighty close to the OEM , U.S.-spec tyres these originally had .

The real pièce de résistance would have been the inclusion of the camper shell from the Black Hawk issue from c.1978 ! 

The annual kits had two-piece plastic tires, with the hubcap/wheel rim half as a separate piece.  The tire and wheel half were never a single unit.

Posted

I notice too, that there are only three of the hard plastic tires in this kit. (6 halves) At least that is all I saw. But this just moved ahead of the Revell '76 Torino on the Must Buy list, after seeing this review. Thanks, Chris.

Posted

Another great review, Chris (of course). Looking forward to getting this one pretty soon. I have one pre-ordered. Looks like another great reissue from Round 2.