Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1975 Datsun Pickup 3n1 Kit Parts Review

hpiguy

The LIL-Hustler is back!  Sweet repop. 8, yup, 8 new tires including gorgeous GT Radials. Parts looks clean and straight, detail is sharp. Decals are redone and very clean, multiple options for Datsun, even as just letters. Poseable steering too. 
3n1 kit, good amount of left over parts for the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN38f7eTgb4 

Edited by hpiguy

Nice review as always , Chris !

One thing which needs to be pointed out on this reissue versus the original Datsun Pickup annuals ( all years ) : Originally , the stock tyres and wheels were moulded-together ; this reissue has the wheels ( hub caps on plain steel wheels ) moulded separate ! No more plastic tyres ! Granted , D78-14's aren't exactly a premium ; however , they're mighty close to the OEM , U.S.-spec tyres these originally had .

The real pièce de résistance would have been the inclusion of the camper shell from the Black Hawk issue from c.1978 ! 

Hello everyone

Nice review as always; was so looking forward to getting more epic fat rubber from the original Datsun kits.

MPC's Rising Sun had these on the front, and IIRC, even wider meats on the rear.

These tires were common on MPC's NASCAR kits, ie., "Southern Stocker" Regal, Monte Carlo, etc.

Would love to get more and throw 'em under everything I'm working on.

IMG_3372.JPG

Hello everyone

Nice review as always; was so looking forward to getting more epic fat rubber from the original Datsun kits.

MPC's Rising Sun had these on the front, and IIRC, even wider meats on the rear.

These tires were common on MPC's NASCAR kits, ie., "Southern Stocker" Regal, Monte Carlo, etc.

Would love to get more and throw 'em under everything I'm working on.

IMG_3372.JPG

you are right this kit use to have them tires ,to bad they did not make it to this kit!

Nice review as always , Chris !

One thing which needs to be pointed out on this reissue versus the original Datsun Pickup annuals ( all years ) : Originally , the stock tyres and wheels were moulded-together ; this reissue has the wheels ( hub caps on plain steel wheels ) moulded separate ! No more plastic tyres ! Granted , D78-14's aren't exactly a premium ; however , they're mighty close to the OEM , U.S.-spec tyres these originally had .

The real pièce de résistance would have been the inclusion of the camper shell from the Black Hawk issue from c.1978 ! 

The annual kits had two-piece plastic tires, with the hubcap/wheel rim half as a separate piece.  The tire and wheel half were never a single unit.

• 4 weeks later...

It's on Ebay now! Just under $30 w/ shipping.

I'm in Australia, and I will have to pay over $60 Australian to get one to me. eBay isn't cheap anymore for Australia. The postage wrecks it. It costs almost as much to post as the item costs. I'll have to wait and see if a local hobby shop can get them cheaper than $60

One thing I realized looking at the one I got a few days ago---the optional custom tires are about the same width as the stock rubber tires.  Though the box art shows custom tires that look very wide along w/ deep wheels, the tires and wheels included aren't nearly as wide or deep as the box art shows.  I've never seen an original, but wonder--did the original one have really wide tires? 

-did the original one have really wide tires? 

Yes, the four Goodyear Blue Streak Stock Car Special tires shown in Stef's post above.

After viewing Chris' video review, it does appear the custom wheels (which Round2 re-created for this kit) aren't nearly as deep as the originals. Maybe that was Round2's plan all along considering they tooled up the Goodyear GT Radial tires and have used use them on very few kits...only the Chevy Monza Original Art Series kit comes to mind.

Edited by Casey

Yes, the four Goodyear Blue Streak Stock Car Special tires shown in Stef's post above.

After viewing Chris' video review, it does appear the custom wheels (which Round2 re-created for this kit) aren't nearly as deep as the originals. Maybe that was Round2's plan all along considering they tooled up the Goodyear GT Radial tires and have used use them on very few kits...only the Chevy Monza Original Art Series kit comes to mind.

The 1980 Volare / Road Runner kit has those tyres as well ; and , the Pacer (the 2-in-1 AMT version) *may* have them as well .

That Datsun Pickup annual originally had plastic tyres for the stock wheel / hubcap , and the aforementioned super-wide vinyl tyres for the custom version (imagine trying to muscle a turn or parking job with those wide tyres and slow manual steering !) .

The original annual kits had the wide stock car tires pictured above.  They look cool on the model, but don't give you a lot of movement in turning the front wheels.  The GT Radials will allow for a "tighter turning radius" and still give that funky late Seventies vibe.

I had a set of those on my 1:1 car in 1980...absolute krap tires (lasted only one summer) but looked great...

Are the "new" ROund2 tampo printed Goodyear GT Radial tires the same as one of their newer Goodyear Polyglas GT tires with a different model name on the sidewall? It looks like just that from the glimpse I got of the tread in Chris' video, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Are the "new" ROund2 tampo printed Goodyear GT Radial tires the same as one of their newer Goodyear Polyglas GT tires with a different model name on the sidewall? It looks like just that from the glimpse I got of the tread in Chris' video, but it's hard to tell for sure.

yes.  

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

• 2 weeks later...