Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 76 Gran Torino Model Kit Review

hpiguy

Thanks for the nice review, Chris.  It's great that Revell added the emblem scripts on the front fenders.  Is there a molded-in emblem on the header panel (above the grille)?  Is there a trunk emblem molded in?  Hopefully Revell will start adding the emblems on all of their new releases instead of just providing decal emblems. 

Maybe we can now get a Ranchero GT version...

Oh sweet.  Like my "Dadillac" was a tribute, I'll have to get one of these to represent moms 72.  Yes I know they are different, but what the heck, I can paint it same colors and enjoy it.  It was about same color as Dave Van's Elliot car.  That sickening light blue with blue metallic vinyl interior.  Mom's was a plain old - not a Gran Torino.  But did have the 351 Windsor.  It will look good with my Dadillac, my wife's 74 Maverick.  Bring on the mainstreamers.  Now we need some colonnades with wheel covers.  

Another great review Chris. I love your enthusiasm. I was thinking that no one else was interested in this kit other than me. Especially after looking at the lack responses to comments I posted on another thread here about this kit. (The thread dealing with the instructions for this kit.) It's good to see another person taking an interest in it.

Revell fixed everything I disliked about the Starsky and Hutch Torino with version of this. I like the mid-size cars from this era. I'm hoping that the Torino sells well enough, that Revell may consider doing a '77 or '78 Thunderbird based on this kit. Or better yet, it sells well, and they consider doing other 70's mid-size cars that have been overlooked in 1/25th scale. Things like a non-NASCAR '73 Chevelle SS, Pontiac GTO, Olds 4-4-2, or Buick GS. Also in that same vein, I'd like see a '79 Chrysler Córdoba 300 or a '78 or '79 Dodge Magnum. But, will the new "stock" Torino sell? Proving there is a market for kits of these cars?

Edited by unclescott58

Another great review Chris. I love your enthusiasm. I was thinking that no one else was interested in this kit other than me. Especially after looking at the lack responses to comments I posted on another thread here about this kit. (The thread dealing with the instructions for this kit.) It's good to see another person taking an interest in it.

Revell fixed everything I disliked about the Starsky and Hutch Torino with version of this. I like the mid-size cars from this era. I'm hoping that the Torino sells well enough, that Revell may consider doing a '77 or '78 Thunderbird based on this kit. Or better yet, it sells well, and they consider doing other 70's mid-size that have been overlooked in 1/25th scale. Things like a non-NASCAR '73 Chevelle SS, Pontiac GTO, Olds 4-4-2, or Buick GS. Also in that same vein, I'd like see a '79 Chrysler Córdoba 300 or a '78 or '79 Dodge Magnum. But, will the new "stock" Torino sell? Proving there a market for kits of these cars?

I'm in on all of those 70's era cars

My local Hooby Looby just put these on the shelf. Looks like I'm getting one, now.

Thanks, Chris.  I'd really like see a side by side of the chrome trees and rear suspension parts, but I'll have the kit in my hands within a month anyways. Other might like to see how the parts differ though. Notice that both the Police Radio and the Police Flasher have stayed in the kit. Would make a nice 'undercover' stake out car, if you wanted to build it that way.

I picked one of those up Saturday. I have not gone over it too much, but I am delighted that there are stock parts for the 351 Windsor Engine. I am making arrangements to get the stock engine parts cast in resin to use on my Starsky and Hutch car.

I started on a '72 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof, using a JoHan Nascar Body Chrome, and Glass. I was able to get some parts from Motor City Resin, namely a scooped hood , and a mostly correct Bucket Seat Interior. And I am going to adapt the rest from a Revell Gran Torino. I am going to use a set of Magmum 500 wheels from a '70 Torino GT.

I have the Model Car Garage Photoetch, as I plan to add a Vinyl Roof, and some Body Side Mouldings, after I do a little body Massaging as I did on m Starsky and Hutch Car on the side windows, and sail panels.

For my purposes, this is a much better kit than the Starsky and Hutch Rendition

• 2 weeks later...

Revell fixed everything I disliked about the Starsky and Hutch Torino with version of this. I like the mid-size cars from this era. I'm hoping that the Torino sells well enough, that Revell may consider doing a '77 or '78 Thunderbird based on this kit. Or better yet, it sells well, and they consider doing other 70's mid-size cars that have been overlooked in 1/25th scale. Things like a non-NASCAR '73 Chevelle SS, Pontiac GTO, Olds 4-4-2, or Buick GS. Also in that same vein, I'd like see a '79 Chrysler Córdoba 300 or a '78 or '79 Dodge Magnum. But, will the new "stock" Torino sell? Proving there is a market for kits of these cars?

I would also love to see more mid to late 70s subjects, there were so many popular 1:1 cars that were neglected by the kit manufacturers when they were new.  Count me in for the 77-79 T-birds, those things were EVERYWHERE back in the eighties.  Would also like to see a 76-77 Cutlass, they were the best selling car in America at the time.  If someone in your family didn't own one, you certainly knew someone who did.

I am also kind of questioning how well this version of the Torino will sell.  Probably the biggest plus is the white plastic vs. the S&H car being molded in red.  Also nice to have the stock intake/carb/air cleaner and valve covers.  Not sure if the factory wheel covers that they included were really the best choice as the sole wheel option.  Seems like they're well done representations of the 1:1 option.  But let's face it: combined with the tampo printed whitewall tires, the resulting look is pretty much a full-on granny-mobile.

I think a much better choice would have been steelies with the standard hubcaps, with separate optional trim rings.  These were very popular on the 1:1 Torinos, and I seem to recall these being much more  common than the wheel covers that are included in this kit.

s-l400.jpg

GRAN_TORINO_R_TYRE.jpg

An added benefit is that these same hubcaps and trim rings were used on earlier Torinos and Mustangs.  If Revell had included these, they probably could have sold many of these kits just for those parts.

I'm also somewhat surprised that Revell made a point of eliminating the S&H wheels, custom valve covers, and air cleaner.  Standard Revell practice the last couple of years is usually to include pretty much all the parts from the first version of a new tool, and just add the additional new parts for the new variation (i.e. 1950 Oldsmobile, Drag 5.0 Mustang,, etc.)  Heck, they did leave some of the S&H parts in, such as the dual carb intake and roof light.  But if anything else, I think the lack of any custom wheel option is a serious mistake for this particular kit.

And let's be brutally honest here: the box art on this kit is beyond awful, almost to the point of being comical.  I suspect that Revell is trying to follow Round 2's lead of having "inspirational" action-packed art work, but their attempts have been going from bad to worse, so they really need to knock it off right now.

I think if this kit doesn't sell well, it will mostly be due to these poor decisions listed above.  But I fear Revell's conclusion will simply be "Oh, nobody cares about seventies cars unless they're from a TV show or a movie".

Edited by Robberbaron

Are those hub caps used on the 1973 Mustang in the real 'Gone in 60 seconds'??? In the scene before the jump you get a close up of a locked up wheel......looks like this one.

GRAN_TORINO_R_TYRE.jpg

gone-in-60-seconds-eleanor-1973-ford-mustang-sportsroof-side-view-600x317.jpg

Yes, this combo was very popular on the 71-73 Mustangs.  The red Mach 1 used in "Diamonds Are Forever" also used this combo.

I believe the only time it's ever been duplicated in a kit is in the old Palmer Mustang, believe it or not.

Edited by Robberbaron

I would also love to see more mid to late 70s subjects, there were so many popular 1:1 cars that were neglected by the kit manufacturers when they were new.  Count me in for the 77-79 T-birds, those things were EVERYWHERE back in the eighties.  Would also like to see a 76-77 Cutlass, they were the best selling car in America at the time.  If someone in your family didn't own one, you certainly knew someone who did.

I am also kind of questioning how well this version of the Torino will sell.  Probably the biggest plus is the white plastic vs. the S&H car being molded in red.  Also nice to have the stock intake/carb/air cleaner and valve covers.  Not sure if the factory wheel covers that they included were really the best choice as the sole wheel option.  Seems like they're well done representations of the 1:1 option.  But let's face it: combined with the tampo printed whitewall tires, the resulting look is pretty much a full-on granny-mobile.

I think a much better choice would have been steelies with the standard hubcaps, with separate optional trim rings.  These were very popular on the 1:1 Torinos, and I seem to recall these being much more  common than the wheel covers that are included in this kit.

s-l400.jpg

GRAN_TORINO_R_TYRE.jpg

An added benefit is that these same hubcaps and trim rings were used on earlier Torinos and Mustangs.  If Revell had included these, they probably could have sold many of these kits just for those parts.

I'm also somewhat surprised that Revell made a point of eliminating the S&H wheels, custom valve covers, and air cleaner.  Standard Revell practice the last couple of years is usually to include pretty much all the parts from the first version of a new tool, and just add the additional new parts for the new variation (i.e. 1950 Oldsmobile, Drag 5.0 Mustang,, etc.)  Heck, they did leave some of the S&H parts in, such as the dual carb intake and roof light.  But if anything else, I think the lack of any custom wheel option is a serious mistake for this particular kit.

And let's be brutally honest here: the box art on this kit is beyond awful, almost to the point of being comical.  I suspect that Revell is trying to follow Round 2's lead of having "inspirational" action-packed art work, but their attempts have been going from bad to worse, so they really need to knock it off right now.

I think if this kit doesn't sell well, it will mostly be due to these poor decisions listed above.  But I fear Revell's conclusion will simply be "Oh, nobody cares about seventies cars unless they're from a TV show or a movie".

On the subject of the aforementioned Hubcaps and Trim Rings. The caps used on the '72-76 Torino series with the trim rings were similar to the ones pictured, but with a flat black center with the Ford crest. My uncle's '72 Ranchero had those caps. Missing Link resin just released a set of Flat caps with a set of deeper trim rings, but no Ford Motor Company lettering in the center. I just got a set of them to do a certain '71 Mach1. I already had a Narrow set for a '71 Maverick Grabber I want to do. Personally, I would have liked to see Revell include the Magmum 500 wheels from the '70 Torino GT/Cobra Kit. That is what I am going to use on my '76., and that is one ugly box.

Those stock/fleet hubcaps are available in resin. If anyone is interested, I can try to dig up the info of who sells them.

Missing Link has made them, bought some from eBay a few years ago.   A resin caster in Germany has a set on eBay now ... (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-1970-73-Hubcaps-Resin-Scale-1-25-/322812338618?hash=item4b291d61ba:g:OokAAOSwq9NZ2N4k).   Others have cast them also IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

The S&H Torino is 100% correct for the car that was used to model off of. It is set up the exact same way the real car was. It may not be factory showroom stock....but not incorrect. 

Thank you for clearing that up for me Dave, greatly appreciated 

The S&H Torino is 100% correct for the car that was used to model off of. It is set up the exact same way the real car was. It may not be factory showroom stock....but not incorrect. 

I don't know where they got the intake setup and carbs, though.  I really doubt if the real cars ( TV cars)had a 351 w/ dual carbs, and I know the factory replicas wouldn't have had something like that...some aftermarket mod.  It's too bad Revell didn't do an accurate intake, carb and air cleaner on the S&H version.   At least they did on the 2nd version. 

Edited by Rob Hall