Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 76 Gran Torino Model Kit Review

hpiguy

I don't know where they got the intake setup and carbs, though.  I don't think the TV car had a 351 w/ dual carbs.  

I don't know what the TV car had. IIRC there were a number of Torinos used....all different for filming needs. I do know the 1/1 car Revell used was a car from NJ and owned by a friend of a friend. 

So mebbe you can find out what the heck kinda miniature Air Cleaner is on the Friend of Friends car? That one in the S&H kit is the oddest looking Dual Carb Air Cleaner, I've ever seen.

Next time we talk I'll ask..........BUT a quick ebay search turns up a number that look just like it. Cast aluminum top with stamped metal bottom. I was looking at a single carb version just like it for my 1/1 66 Mustang project. I need a very small cleaner to fit between the Monte Carlo bar and shock tower braces....and clear the big electronic Dist.  

Edited by Dave Van

On the subject of the aforementioned Hubcaps and Trim Rings. The caps used on the '72-76 Torino series with the trim rings were similar to the ones pictured, but with a flat black center with the Ford crest. My uncle's '72 Ranchero had those caps. Missing Link resin just released a set of Flat caps with a set of deeper trim rings, but no Ford Motor Company lettering in the center. I just got a set of them to do a certain '71 Mach1. I already had a Narrow set for a '71 Maverick Grabber I want to do. Personally, I would have liked to see Revell include the Magmum 500 wheels from the '70 Torino GT/Cobra Kit. That is what I am going to use on my '76., and that is one ugly box.

Missing-Link has non plated caps and ring copy from Palmer

Missing-Link has non plated caps and ring copy from Palmer

I got both versions of the caps  and rings from Missing Link. With the advent of 3-D printing and talented people who can work with it, we can now get correct sets of wheel covers, wheels, and hubcaps that were never in a model kit. I have bought several different wheel sets to do variations of an uncommon car,  I have in my basement an un-built, original annual AMT '72 Mach 1, and the caps in that kit had a weird domed center, but otherwise they were correct.  And no Rex, it's not for sale, but if I do sell it, you will get first dibs on it.

• 1 month later...

Was going to get this kit, but there are 2 huge gaffs. One is the exhaust. A factory 76 Torino did not have duals, but single exhaust with a catalytic converter. And while nicely printed whitewalls, those tires are the standard Revell Goodyear polyglass tires with printing. Not a factory tire in 76.

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

The Bronco artwork isn't much better.

Just ordered the latest Revell '64 Fairlane Thunderbolt reissue. Not the best art work on that one either. As far the '76 Torino kit goes. Despite the wrong exhaust setup, I like the kit. I'd like to see more more mid to late 70's kits. But, I think this been mentioned many times before. In fact, maybe too many many times.