Model Cars Magazine Forum

Streetcar kits ?

Anything in G scale (close to 1/25) is going to be hideously expensive (as above).

O scale, 1/48, will be considerably cheaper and the detail can still be phenomenal.

HO scale (1/87) starts to get pretty reasonable, and detail can be fantastic, especially for its size.

Model railroad stuff is pretty expensive these days in general, but deals can still be found.

Wood craftsman kits like these in HO are challenging, but they make beautiful, evocative models. Figure on spending a minimum of $50 to build one, as you often need to buy additional parts and materials.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Labelle-wood-trolley-kits-choice-of-11-cars-decal/253163743145?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D1ffc990d87cb4f7cb1c0fdc858d39661%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D253129500002&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This is a resin kit in HO, in the same price range.    Funaro-F-amp-C-HO-Unpowered-Pacific-Electric-PCC-Car-One-piece-Body-Kit-701

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Mini Art from the Ukraine makes this European tram kit in 1/35 scale. They've done several different versions.  The one below includes all the figures and accessories shown, so it's really a "diorama in a box."  A nice complex kit, with full suspension detail (in case you want to turn it over for a 1945 Berlin barricade diorama). Amazon shows it In Stock for $72.56 right now. 

tram1.jpg

I have the 1/29 scale PCC trolley, which is still run i  some places. It is large enough to pass for 1/25 easy. These are out of production right now but still can be found. I got mine when the manufacture dumped them for $120....well worth it at that price. These are made by Aristo Craft.

Bachmann makes a 1/29 scale Peter Witt trolley which is 1950's to present. It can be found under $200.

A 1/25 or so trolley is a BIG model so all will be well over $100 no matter what. 

These CLRV light rail cars replaced Toronto's aging PCC cars in the early '80s and have been used up until the present. They are just now being gradually replaced with more modern Bombardier equipment.

This resin model was done years ago by ( I believe) St Petersburg Tram in O scale (1/48).  I mounted it down on a home-made simulated track base in a display case, so I can't look underneath to confirm the manufacturer.

It was certainly a nicely done finished model, though.....made in limited quantities.

P1270181.JPG

P1270182.JPG

Edited by traditional

These CLRV light rail cars replaced Toronto's aging PCC cars in the early '80s and have been used up until the present. They are just now being gradually replaced with more modern Bombardier equipment.

This resin model was done years ago by ( I believe) St Petersburg Tram in O scale (1/48).  I mounted it down on a home-made simulated track base in a display case, so I can't look underneath to confirm the manufacturer.

It was certainly a nicely done finished model, though.....made in limited quantities.

P1270181.JPG

P1270182.JPG

Edited by traditional

Other than the older style cable car kits are there any kits of the ones more like in the 50's ? You know the more streamlined style. Plastic or resin would be fine.

Here's a link to a English club I found in one of the English antique magazines I get. Might have something that would help you.

http://www.tramwayinfo.com/Deftlrs.htm