Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Dry Lakes/TROG roadster

Spex84

Just completed this one recently (it may get some light weathering in future, though. We'll see...). This is a project that was started in 2013, sat in the box for years, and then sat partially assembled for over a year before I decided to make a few changes and finish it up.

Some notes:
-AMT 29 roadster, AMT '34 Ford flathead with aluminum intake stacks and scratchbuilt wire looms. Headers modified from Revell '32 Tudor kit, AMT '34 Ford wire wheels on Johan Mercedes 500k tires out back, and Revell '31 Woody wire wheels/tires in front. Firewall was modified with extra flanges to look more like the 1:1, and it has a flattened front crossmember and AMT '34 Ford coupe front axle to get the front end down.  Cut-down steering wheel, '31 Woody door handles, and the windshield frame was chopped and removed from the stanchions then attached to the chopped-down roadster roof--so they can be removed as a unit for that stripped-down racer appearance. The headlights and taillight/license plate are held on with wire clips and are also removeable.

Thanks for looking!
LakesRoadster_Sept102017_small-vi.jpg

Edited by Spex84

I just got done reading about this years TROG in the latest Hot Rod Deluxe, This looks just as if it should have just a very small touch if wet sand on it and it could of been anyone of the cars there. You definitely captured the look.   

Chris....great job!  This one would be a great fit for our "Vintage Beach Racing" Cult Theme at the NNL Nats in Toledo, Ohio in a couple of weeks.  Don't know where you live in Canada but if it's somewhere in Ontario that is commuting distance to Toledo/Sylvania....we'd love to have you join the fun.  But whether that is feasible or not, really enjoyed seeing your work here....TIM 

Thanks everyone!
Tim, I'd love to join in, but I'm on the west coast, a mere 2000 miles away :D

RockinRodneyRat--those weathering powders look good;the 'self adhesive' feature in particular interest me. If/when I weather this thing, I'll probably use a homebrew mix of artist's chalks and it will be an experiment of sorts...

Another excellent and inexpensive source for weathering colors is acrylic craft paints such as Americana brand. I use a lot of these like terra cotta(for rust),various shades of  green,brown and of course black.They are cheap and of course water clean up is great.I just finished a Ford model T speedster for the upcoming NNL National at Sylvannia,Ohio using these paints and everything is dry brushed.