Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Meng Kit Announced - How About a Jeep?

niteowl7710

Similarly to the Platz M6 taking a long time coming out after being announced, the unicorn I've had on preorder with HLJ for 3 1/2 years now is the Ebbro 1968 Lotus 49B..don't know if it's a licensing issue w/ Lotus (they have released other Lotus F1 kits in the interim) or the tobacco livery or what...supposedly, coming next month, but previous release date announcements have come and gone, so I'm not holding my breath. 

It's a technical issue of trying to figure out a way to make those giant kites they call spoilers. Trying to find a method to create the struts so they're both in-scale, don't warp during manufacturing, and strong enough to hold the spoilers own weight has been vexing. You'll notice they've NEVER shown a built test shot or even sprue shots of the kit yet either. Speaking of them and things we have seen, wonder when that DS-21 is going to be released, they've been trotting around a couple of built ones since the Spring.

Edited by niteowl7710

It's a technical issue of trying to figure out a way to make those giant kites they call spoilers. Trying to find a method to create the struts so they're both in-scale, don't warp during manufacturing, and strong enough to hold the spoilers own weight has been vexing. You'll notice they've NEVER shown a built test shot or even sprue shots of the kit yet either. Speaking of them and things we have seen, wonder when that DS-21 is going to be released, they've been trotting around a couple of built ones since the Spring.

Fascinating... the tail spoilers on the spindly struts were problematic on the race cars in '68, tended to twist and fall off during races, I've read.  I've been wondering about the DS21 also...

Since I own a 4 door Wrangler I would really love a kit but not interested in a 2 door version, I am sure someone is though. I seldom see a 2 door JK on the street, mostly 4 doors. More practical.

Yeah, an Unlimited would be nice...most JKs I saw in the Phoenix area when I lived there were Unlimiteds...lots of them modded w/ bigger tires, etc.  Neat vehicles....

Since I own a 4 door Wrangler I would really love a kit but not interested in a 2 door version, I am sure someone is though. I seldom see a 2 door JK on the street, mostly 4 doors. More practical.

I have a JKU as well, but will be able to summon enough enthusiasm for the JK that I'll probably buy one. Glad they chose a 10A version to kit.

Wish I could get excited about this kit but I can't. Call me a purist, but the Jeeps have become too much a luxury SUV and have strayed way far from their roots. I understand some of the changes were necessitated by government standards and trying to appeal to more buyers, but I lost interest in Jeeps when they started hanging all the plastic add on stuff on them.

I am really hoping someone would take a page from the Moebius folks and develop a series of models like the Ford F series trucks they are doing for Dodge and GM trucks from 67- 80.

Well... the JK is designed for Jeep's core buyers. Boomers. There. I said it. It has to be softer and less hard-edged than previous Wranglers because older guys are the biggest group of people buying them. They like the idea of being able to go off road if they want, but they don't want something that'll beat the hell out of them on rickety pavement the way their beloved old CJ-5 would have. Sure it has solid axles at both ends, and it certainly has better off-road capability than a Buick Encore, but for the most part it pays only token homage to earlier Jeeps. Wranglers in particular have become like Corvettes, or Harleys, or John Deeres... something people buy more for the name and imagery than for the product itself. That's also why the four-door variant exists. The average owner of a four-door Wrangler would probably be better off with a Liberty, Patriot, or Cherokee, but they bought the Wrangler because it's the Wrangler. Many times, they'll even admit to that. "I looked at a Liberty, but I wanted a 'real' Jeep", whatever that means. Sure, government regulations have a lot to do with it, but so does a drastically changing market. 

I wonder if Meng would try a classic subject like an old Dodge? With all the activity Meng has shown in the light-truck sector it might be worth considering for them, but I also hope they'll stick with late model stuff. Could a Ram 2500 Power Wagon be a possibility? :) 

Now, as far as the kit itself. I'm extremely interested... though I dare say I'm not sure what to think about functioning suspension. That kind of thing always seemed gimmicky to me, but I could see that being put to use in a couple of interesting ways so I'll hold off judgement until I have the kit myself and/or have seen a few built up and detailed. I'm happy that a hard top will be included (and I think it would be safe to assume full doors to go with it), and I have every intention of getting a couple initially. I'm not even worried about the price- when reissues of golden oldies from the '60's are going for low $30's, typical Meng prices seem about right for a state-of-the art kit of a current subject. And aside from the exhaust mess-up with the F350 kit, Meng seems more than willing to do the legwork to make their kits accurate... I'm willing to pay for that. 

Now, as far as the kit itself. I'm extremely interested... though I dare say I'm not sure what to think about functioning suspension. That kind of thing always seemed gimmicky to me, but I could see that being put to use in a couple of interesting ways so I'll hold off judgement until I have the kit myself and/or have seen a few built up and detailed. 

Didn't Tamiya have working suspension on their Toyota Landcruiser and Mitsubishi Montero kits?

Edited by Luc Janssens

21686738_1471729529607033_69168220305145

In the tiny print on the box art there will be both hard top and soft top options. Can we get someone working on replacement tires so we can insta-bail on those "BFGeedreih Mvd-Tarroin T/As"? :blink:

Fireball already makes tires that should work on this, unless the wheels are an odd size.

• 2 weeks later...

Tires on the 1:1 would be 265/70-17.

Sorry, not to pick at nits or anything, but the factory tires on the real deal are LT255/75SR17.

I have a couple of Jeeps in my inventory now, if anyone wants specific pics of anything let me know. I know the kits aren't out yet, but if you want to plan ahead...

Edited by iamsuperdan

Well... the JK is designed for Jeep's core buyers. Boomers. There. I said it. It has to be softer and less hard-edged than previous Wranglers because older guys are the biggest group of people buying them. They like the idea of being able to go off road if they want, but they don't want something that'll beat the hell out of them on rickety pavement the way their beloved old CJ-5 would have. Sure it has solid axles at both ends, and it certainly has better off-road capability than a Buick Encore, but for the most part it pays only token homage to earlier Jeeps. Wranglers in particular have become like Corvettes, or Harleys, or John Deeres... something people buy more for the name and imagery than for the product itself. That's also why the four-door variant exists. The average owner of a four-door Wrangler would probably be better off with a Liberty, Patriot, or Cherokee, but they bought the Wrangler because it's the Wrangler. Many times, they'll even admit to that. "I looked at a Liberty, but I wanted a 'real' Jeep", whatever that means. Sure, government regulations have a lot to do with it, but so does a drastically changing market. 

I wonder if Meng would try a classic subject like an old Dodge? With all the activity Meng has shown in the light-truck sector it might be worth considering for them, but I also hope they'll stick with late model stuff. Could a Ram 2500 Power Wagon be a possibility? :) 

Now, as far as the kit itself. I'm extremely interested... though I dare say I'm not sure what to think about functioning suspension. That kind of thing always seemed gimmicky to me, but I could see that being put to use in a couple of interesting ways so I'll hold off judgement until I have the kit myself and/or have seen a few built up and detailed. I'm happy that a hard top will be included (and I think it would be safe to assume full doors to go with it), and I have every intention of getting a couple initially. I'm not even worried about the price- when reissues of golden oldies from the '60's are going for low $30's, typical Meng prices seem about right for a state-of-the art kit of a current subject. And aside from the exhaust mess-up with the F350 kit, Meng seems more than willing to do the legwork to make their kits accurate... I'm willing to pay for that. 

I think you're both right and wrong with that assessment of the JK.

Yes, it is more plush, and that was definitely done to appeal to the masses. I have owned several Jeeps over the years; a 1990 YJ Islander, 1993 XJ Sport, 2005 TJ SPort, 2008 JK Sahara, 2015 JKU Sahara. I tell you, getting that first Sahara in 08 was a trip. It just felt weird having a Jeep, with no roof, but still getting power windows, locks, and mirrors, and AC. Jeeps shouldn't have that, should they? lolz. But the Jeep itself is fantastic.  In all honesty though, that 2005 was perfect. Manual transmission, dual tops, and that's about it. I like the extras, but really don't need them.

As for the offroad abilities, it is most definitely more than a "token homage" to old Jeeps. Solid axles, proper 4WD, locking diffs, swaybar disconnects, proper tires, i challenge you to name a vehicle on sale in North America right now that can do what the Wrangler can do. It is simply the most capable offroader available right now. Raptor is close, but not quite. And you're right, people don't need it, they would really be happier with a Compass or a Cherokee. But then again, those just aren't as cool as a Wrangler.

Would love to see Meng do kits of a 70s Dodge truck, or a current gen Ram truck. I love these, and it's what I drive now.  But, I know just how diffifcult FCA is when it comes to licensing their products, and I just don't see it happening any time soon.

:)

Anyway, because pics are fun, here's my last one, the 2015. Slightly modded.

WP_20141011_11_36_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20141011_11_36_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20141201_21_07_05_Pro.jpg

Sorry, not to pick at nits or anything, but the factory tires on the real deal are LT255/75SR17.

I have a couple of Jeeps in my inventory now, if anyone wants specific pics of anything let me know. I know the kits aren't out yet, but if you want to plan ahead...

I got the size from the article I linked to from 2013 about the 10th anniversary edition, so go figure.   Speaking of Jeeps and tires, my '14 GC has 265/50R 20s, need new tires before winter, thinking about Wrangler Duratracs, but those seem to be in 275/55 SR 20s...I've read they will fit without rubbing. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Speaking of Jeeps and tires, my '14 GC has 265/50R 20s, need new tires before winter, thinking about Wrangler Duratracs, but those seem to be in 275/55 SR 20s...I've read they will fit without rubbing. 

The size difference between those is about 1.5 inches in diameter, significant enough that I would research a little more before doing it. The Grand Cherokees don't have a ton of room in the wheelwells. it's possible you might need a small lift, or some trimming. 

And it's weird, I've got two 2017 Rubicons here right now, both ahev the same suspension and wheel packages. And one has the tires I listed, one has the tires you listed. Both are bone stock.

At the end of the day, in the world of accurate modelling, I doubt anyone here would be able to tell the difference. And if they can, I'm concerned for them. :P

And it's weird, I've got two 2017 Rubicons here right now, both ahev the same suspension and wheel packages. And one has the tires I listed, one has the tires you listed. Both are bone stock.

At the end of the day, in the world of accurate modelling, I doubt anyone here would be able to tell the difference. And if they can, I'm concerned for them. :P

Okay, so it appears that there are 3 different BFGoodrich tires used. The 2013 10th Anniversary model used the Mud-Terrain T/A KM2s in the 265/70R17 size. The current lineup uses either Mud-Terrain T/A KMs (no 2) in 255/75R17 size or All-Terrain T/A KO2s in 265/70R17 size. ^_^