Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Meng Kit Announced - How About a Jeep?

niteowl7710

HobbyEasy in Hong Kong is showing a release date right before Christmas and a price around $36 for the kit, and $18 for the resin extras. Japanese vendors are showing January 2018 for delivery and prices in the mid-$50s for the kit and just shy of $30 for the resin

The U.S. MSRP looks like it's gonna be $68+ for the kit and $40 for the resin - assuming you could even find the resin in the U.S., as I don't think I've seen a set "in the wild" that wasn't imported over to be resold.

• 1 month later...

You know, I’m not sure now about whether the hood opens. I found some “test” pics and it looks like the oil pan is attached to the chassis.

https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazinepublishing.wordpress.com/2017/12/09/jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2-door-10th-anniversary-ed-test/

Edited by Jordan White

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The hood definitely looks molded in in those photos also.   Mine shipped from Hobby Easy last week, will be interesting to see what's in the box sooner or later..

Their marketing department most likely sees more ROI when offering it at a lower price.

And as Asian companies rarely include engines in their kits, there's probably not much demand for it, in their primary market.

Still a pity, as to me, a 4X4 vehicle is all about showing the greasy bits,

This kit will probably be, a tough sell in the US now, as Revell as a similar looking curbside kit in their lineup.

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Their marketing department most likely sees more ROI when offering it at a lower price.

And as Asian companies rarely include engines in their kits, there's probably not much demand for it, in their primary market.

Still a pity, as to me, a 4X4 vehicle is all about showing the greasy bits,

This kit will probably be, a tough sell in the US now, as Revell as a similar looking curbside kit in their lineup.

All Meng kits are a tough sell in the U.S. if you're buying them locally as opposed to H.K. I think the MSRP on this kit is $73 if I remember the listing correctly- it's definitely North of $70. Compared to mid- $30s when buying from HobbyEasy.

Jeep fans will buy them - I'm willing to bet they can find 5k of them worldwide to sell the production run.

I will get one as I'm not a huge fan of the - it only builds as the Tomb Raiders '03 Wranglers. I also refuse to support (as an adult - for my kids as they age into them is a different story) those Build n Play kits as a viable solution to model kits.

On 12/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, Jordan White said:

You know, I’m not sure now about whether the hood opens. I found some “test” pics and it looks like the oil pan is attached to the chassis.

https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazinepublishing.wordpress.com/2017/12/09/jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2-door-10th-anniversary-ed-test/

I am going to say this kit has no engine.

Mine should be here tomorrow, full coverage to follow as usual.