Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
niteowl7710

Next Meng Kit Announced - How About a Jeep?

Recommended Posts

HobbyEasy in Hong Kong is showing a release date right before Christmas and a price around $36 for the kit, and $18 for the resin extras. Japanese vendors are showing January 2018 for delivery and prices in the mid-$50s for the kit and just shy of $30 for the resin

The U.S. MSRP looks like it's gonna be $68+ for the kit and $40 for the resin - assuming you could even find the resin in the U.S., as I don't think I've seen a set "in the wild" that wasn't imported over to be resold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on the pricier side, but if the kit is as good as the other two, then totally reasonable IMO. I'm just excited to see what all the parts look like and how well it goes together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to it...preordered one from Hobby Easy, seems to be the best place to get them for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, like all Meng kits, it's pricer, but should be a very precise, very detailed high quality kit.

I'm getting a couple for sure.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm intrigued as to whether there's gonna be an engine or not.  None of the existing literature about the kit mentions one, and the price is a solid $10 less than the H1 & F-350. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I’m not sure now about whether the hood opens. I found some “test” pics and it looks like the oil pan is attached to the chassis.

https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazinepublishing.wordpress.com/2017/12/09/jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2-door-10th-anniversary-ed-test/

Edited by Jordan White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hood definitely looks molded in in those photos also.   Mine shipped from Hobby Easy last week, will be interesting to see what's in the box sooner or later..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The hood definitely looks molded in in those photos also.   Mine shipped from Hobby Easy last week, will be interesting to see what's in the box sooner or later..

Their marketing department most likely sees more ROI when offering it at a lower price.

And as Asian companies rarely include engines in their kits, there's probably not much demand for it, in their primary market.

Still a pity, as to me, a 4X4 vehicle is all about showing the greasy bits,

This kit will probably be, a tough sell in the US now, as Revell as a similar looking curbside kit in their lineup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Their marketing department most likely sees more ROI when offering it at a lower price.

And as Asian companies rarely include engines in their kits, there's probably not much demand for it, in their primary market.

Still a pity, as to me, a 4X4 vehicle is all about showing the greasy bits,

This kit will probably be, a tough sell in the US now, as Revell as a similar looking curbside kit in their lineup.

 

All Meng kits are a tough sell in the U.S. if you're buying them locally as opposed to H.K. I think the MSRP on this kit is $73 if I remember the listing correctly- it's definitely North of $70. Compared to mid- $30s when buying from HobbyEasy.

Jeep fans will buy them - I'm willing to bet they can find 5k of them worldwide to sell the production run.

I will get one as I'm not a huge fan of the - it only builds as the Tomb Raiders '03 Wranglers. I also refuse to support (as an adult - for my kids as they age into them is a different story) those Build n Play kits as a viable solution to model kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, Jordan White said:

You know, I’m not sure now about whether the hood opens. I found some “test” pics and it looks like the oil pan is attached to the chassis.

https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazinepublishing.wordpress.com/2017/12/09/jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2-door-10th-anniversary-ed-test/

I am going to say this kit has no engine.

Mine should be here tomorrow, full coverage to follow as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah well, as long as it’s on par with the Aoshima kits then I won’t mind. Though I do wonder what their thought process was for doing it this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...