Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another vette.... the 06 zo6

Plastic_Passion

Well since the '69 was a home run and the 96 grand sport was pretty fun.... let's try this out. Seems to be much like the 2010 gt500 I just got done with! (Which you can find in the under glass section)... If you want to peek.... anyways not exactly sure where I'm going yet but I'm digging the metallic orange gloss with matte black not sure about an interior yet... still bouncing ideas around.... tell me whatya think!

chevrolet_corvette_c6_orange_by_psykomysik.jpg

I like your idea especially the Orange color. In the photo it looks as if the black on the hood is a gloss rather than a flat black. While the two colors contrast nicely some times people go over board and the car starts looking like a Pumpkin. Just saying it's a hard balance. What shade of orange are you thinking ??   

I like your idea especially the Orange color. In the photo it looks as if the black on the hood is a gloss rather than a flat black. While the two colors contrast nicely some times people go over board and the car starts looking like a Pumpkin. Just saying it's a hard balance. What shade of orange are you thinking ??   

i agree with you on the pumpkin issue. And I don't think I'm going gloss the black. I think I want to matte black it. As for the orange I think I want to be as close to that orange as possible. The 69 came out almost a burnt copper reddish color so I want to keep this more of a true orange. I'm thinking leather black interior with aluminum detail. I also think I'll black out the tail and wheels.

47737614d1380659883-calling-velocity-yellow-z06-owners-smll-file-fr.jpg

The only orange color that stands out in my mind for 1969 was the Hugger Orange, I had a '69 Camaro painted that color , if you're looking for a burnt orange color Testors has a couple in their Lacquer series and they are great products and easy to use. Just an after thought on the contrasting color, have you thought of doing Carbon Fiber instead of black ??  

The only orange color that stands out in my mind for 1969 was the Hugger Orange, I had a '69 Camaro painted that color , if you're looking for a burnt orange color Testors has a couple in their Lacquer series and they are great products and easy to use. Just an after thought on the contrasting color, have you thought of doing Carbon Fiber instead of black ??  

yeahI painted a 69 that color as well. I do really enjoy it but want something more pearlesent. I do like the idea of carbon fiber but haven't worked with any (such as decals and whatnot) I mixed up some orange with turn signal amber and a touch of copper last night and painted a plastic spoon to get an idea about how it'll reflect with body lines and such.... model masters has a great pearl orange color too.

20160622_230846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Epic fail on the orange. Kind of disappointed that I decided to lay black before the orange but thought it would lay fine with a couple coats. Now I have like a goldish off color green.... don't know if I hate it yet... might be a trip to a zip lock bag with some oven cleaner.... let me know what you think....

15072600313611342117489.jpg

15072600906701955034001.jpg

15072601315641237742665.jpg

I guess I don't hate the color. Certainly not what I was going for. But I kinda think I like it. Should've gone about the liquid mask a different way. I didn't cut nice lines like I did with the shelby. I pulled a little paint off in the process of removing it. Lesson learned. Also thought my turn signal amber would be strong enough to cover black. Again lesson learned. 

20171007_005040.jpg

20171007_004723.jpg

20171007_004849.jpg

It does look like some kind of modified or limited edition like you said David. I didn't actually end up using the orange I had on the spoon. It was too "dukes of hazard" for me. I wanted something more pearlesent. The turn signal amber was the color I ultimately wanted. As I said in the post with the spoon paint I had mixed orange and the amber together. I realistically should have mixed orange into amber instead of the other way around.

150740959182860203513.jpg

15074096959051403682867.jpg

Now I really like that!! It looks like a "Special Edition"

version Corvette.  And I love the '69 Camaro even a

lot more Jeremy!!

Also, might seem weird, but I would like to see that

spoon with the color on it!?!

David S.

also thank you for the comment on the '69. I rescued that from being a glubomb unpainted mess. Still in progress but I want to make it right. Not something I just throw together like this vette and the shelby. These are going together really well tho.

I like the color a lot. It looks reptilian somehow, especially with the black, and brings out the shapes and lines of the Corvette body. Very aggressive, but understated too.

Thanks. I didn't like it at first. I was really dead set on the orange. The more I looked at it the more I was willing to give it a chance. I decided that I'd pull of the mask and see what it looked like together before it got the oven cleaner bath. It's pulling together nicely enough for me to keep it. I still can't believe amber sprayed over black will give you greenish gold tho. Guess I'll just have to get another vette to do that orange.... although I do have a 70 camaro I wanted to do in the turn signal amber too. This just happened to get there first. So maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for posting the spoon, I like to do

a bit of mixing it up with colors.

It's fun to see what comes up!!

Here is a fade paint I did using rattle

cans and nicely warmed Testors paints-

100_5033.jpg

lookig back I wian I hdd usedthe color I mare on the spoon. Instead I wntMr wth the straight turn signal amber and it didn't have enough body to cover the black. I do like that fade! That's impressive for a rattle job. My girlfriend calls the vette "the army vette" it's a nice play on words.

20171009_032619_001.jpg

20171009_014127.jpg

20171009_014241.jpg