Model Cars Magazine Forum

The new HRM Chaparral 2

djflyer

The new HRM kit of the Chaparral 2 just arrived so here's a look at what you get.  It is definitely a re-pop of the Cox slot car, which is a pretty good place to start.  It has the feel of styrene so I'm not sure what the process is making these is but does fit together well.

The upper and lower body are bagged together with three smaller bags for HRM's excellent wheels and tires, the structure pieces and smaller detail parts.  Everything is molded in white except the tires, windscreen and taillights.   Not pictured is about 12 smaller pieces that detail the suspension - my camera apparently doesn't like very small bits of white plastic.

DSC08668.thumb.JPG.50d7ca64fd71146b4eaa1DSC08679.thumb.JPG.68b27cd75b15a9e86d024DSC08676.thumb.JPG.afa74f24cfa30aaf2f137DSC08678.thumb.JPG.e3ab117c07507c67913fd

This will be a must have kit for me

thinking a little out of the box and looking over in the slot car world...

Electric Dreams - http://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/dec331-cox-124-scale-decal-sheet-for-chaparral-2-kit-p-891.html?zenid=244974be1645fed8fddad5af787f4272

and Professor Motor - http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/pmtr6501.htm  have 1/24 Chaparral decals sheets

Those are wheels from the Modelers 2D model Fujimi reissued it once.The latest issues of Mono 2D had ok wheels and Bluestreaks out of Cobras that work ok too.

The Modelers kit is a later 2D, with 4 light front end, not like the R/M. I found a nice Tamiya 2J body, fans, cockpit, perfect for curbside. I had the R&D 2J but it was a resin brick. 

Chaps had few decals. Easy builds.

Hi,

Forgot to mention that I'm not crazy about the Fujimi reissued 2D tires as they are rounded.  The Modelers looked more squared off.  But at least with the resin HRM tires, one can easily sand them square.

I've many the rubber tires which are hard to sand.  I'm making it work but it's a bit of a bear.

BTW the resin tires from HRM in general are very very nice, a joy to work with.

In fact I am preferring resin tires over rubber now.