Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 30 Ford Coupe

Tyler62990

It's been a little while since I've posted, mostly due to Photobucket annoying me to no end. Thank God for the new format here that allows me to let them fade into the past where they belong. 

Anyway, I recently completed this 30 Ford. The frame was double z'd with the suspension mounted suicide style up front. With this kit allowing you to build a channeled version OOB, the work to get the super low look that seems to be in vogue nowadays is actually really straight forward and easy. I decided to use the skeleton interior, but wanted the transmission and driveshaft exposed. Having to cut the floor in half to do this complicated things a bit, but it was still pretty easy to achieve. With the tranny exposed, I thought it would be a good idea to scratch up some shift linkage. It's almost impossible to see, but at least I know it's there lol. The engine was wired and plumbed, and some masking tape was wrapped around the exhaust to simulate heat tape. A couple pieces of plastic tube were cut for carb stacks. The whitewall decals had me climbing the wall, so I sprayed them with some Duplicolor primer, forgetting solvent paints don't dry on vinyl or rubber very well. It ended up being a happy mistake, though, as the paint doing funky things while handling somehow gave them a nice weathered look and saved me some work. The body received some holes in the sun visor and a healthy dose of rust. Well, that's about it. Thanks for looking!

IMG_20170818_154029309.jpg

IMG_20170818_154414684.jpg

IMG_20170818_154433724.jpg

IMG_20170818_154910623.jpg

IMG_20170818_154924549.jpg

IMG_20170818_155021164.jpg

IMG_20170818_155256943.jpg

IMG_20170818_154151938.jpg

IMG_20170818_154315433.jpg

IMG_20170818_154357921.jpg

You may have discovered a new way to weather white walls. The body oxidation especially on the radiator shell looks perfect. I like the oil film on the front of the engine also. I can almost feel the heat and smells coming thru the floor boards now. Great looking build.

I like this...Nice work getting the car down low, and weathering it so convincingly. From the description I thought the header wrap might look out of scale, but it looks great...and the exposed welds on the roof are a cool touch.

I like how the skeleton door panels are lighter on the lower areas and "highlighted" with a darker color--it almost fools the eye into thinking those details are recessed, which is appropriate considering Revell molded these panels with raised detail instead of the correct recessed stampings.

The whitewalls look a bit like "el cheapo" painted-on whitewalls, again very appropriate for a rat rod. I've suffered the mistake of painting tires with oil-based paint in the past, but it never occurred to me that the resulting mess might be a desirable effect!

The exposed transmission is cool too...a detail I've seen on a number of cars built in this style, and I've wondered how often somebody drops their iPhone and it falls straight through to the highway. Haha!

I'd be happy to have this on my shelf...I miss building rat rods. It might be time to do another soon!

I don't know how long it's been since I posted, but this has brought me out of my shell. This is undoubtedly one of the best weathering jobs I've ever seen. I've had it on my computer most of the day, and checked it out several times. And under all that wonderful weathering, it is a great model! Thanks for sharing your outstanding work!

I'll leave it to the others who have posted so far to detail all the nice things about this excellent model. The thing I want to point out is that as far as I can tell, with the exception of some necessary suspension and chassis fabrication to get it down in the weeds, everything in this build came out of the kit box! It's kind of Out-Of-The-Box on acid. Am I right about that? I've never gotten my hands on this kit so I can't spot anything that I haven't seen in other versions of the Revell '30 Coupe. This is a tour de force  of technique and self-expression. Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great. Excellent proportions and some of the best weathering I've ever seen. One little thing...the model is so nice, the jaggedy edges on the carb stacks really jump out.

Thank you! I didn't even notice that until you brought it to my attention. I guess some things just get past you sometimes. Now that I see it, I have to clean it up. It's driving me nuts now lol

Very well done, what did you use for the rust/weathering? -RRR

Thanks! I used the rusting set from Sophisticated Finishes, dabbed on with a sponge brush. Sometimes it can dry a little to uniformly, so a little touch up with some Tamiya weathering powders, some acrylic paint, and some India ink can help.

I'll leave it to the others who have posted so far to detail all the nice things about this excellent model. The thing I want to point out is that as far as I can tell, with the exception of some necessary suspension and chassis fabrication to get it down in the weeds, everything in this build came out of the kit box! It's kind of Out-Of-The-Box on acid. Am I right about that? I've never gotten my hands on this kit so I can't spot anything that I haven't seen in other versions of the Revell '30 Coupe. This is a tour de force  of technique and self-expression. Brilliant!

Thank you for the kind words, and good eye! The only things not out of the box are the shift linkage, headlight mounts, rear radius rods, decals, and the obvious things like wiring and plumbing. The frame was z'd using pieces cut out in the process (gotta love recycling), and the front suspension is just modified from the kit. Even the suicide perch was made from kit scraps lol. It's entirely possible to build something very similar to this with nothing but the kit. You just gotta know where to cut.