Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swap-N-Build CBP

Jhedir6

So here is the kit that I received today from Modlbldr. Looks like a pretty decent kit so far, but probably not one that I would have picked off the shelves at the store. And that was kinda the purpose of this swap idea.

Pretty sure I know exactly what to do with it though. I am a pretty big fan of restomod type builds in 1:1, so I think that is what I will be doing here. 

Odds are pretty good that the car will end up being red too, but I will spend some time with Google images and see if anything else stands out to me. Definitely will not end up with the kit supplies wheels/tires or at stock suspension height either.

20171018_122620.jpg

Saving this link here so I can find it later.

Edited by 68shortfleet

After spending some time looking at Google images of the 442 in 1/25 and 1/1 scale it seems to me that the people that build these Oldsmobile's are kinda purists of stock cars. Really didn't find anything that inspired me at all. 

So, I will be building this to the vision in my head. Hope it transfer to plastic reasonably well.

I did some test fitting of the bumpers and glass to the body yesterday. All parts fit incredibly well. With that, I got the body into primer.

After spending some time looking at Google images of the 442 in 1/25 and 1/1 scale it seems to me that the people that build these Oldsmobile's are kinda purists of stock cars. Really didn't find anything that inspired me at all. 

So, I will be building this to the vision in my head. Hope it transfer to plastic reasonably well.

I did some test fitting of the bumpers and glass to the body yesterday. All parts fit incredibly well. With that, I got the body into primer.

I had issue too. I got one of these in the stash to build as a restomod/proturing one day. This was the pic I found I like the best.

442-2_zps95o7vcvo.jpg

I love this idea for a community build

You're still welcome to join. Let me know, I'll put your name down, then when we get another to join, you'll be paired off. 

And for anyone else....it's still open. Post here or PM me and we'll get you paired off with someone....worse case scenario we'll pair you off with Tom....looks like he'll be done tomorrow.

Nice Tom. I love the idea you had for this one.

I kicked my Camaro to the curb cause I got in the new AMG GT3 so I've been busting on that the last two days. But I got the paint booth cleared out and been spraying today, so I have to spray some red later on, might be a good time to get some on the Camaro chassis too.

You're still welcome to join. Let me know, I'll put your name down, then when we get another to join, you'll be paired off. 

And for anyone else....it's still open. Post here or PM me and we'll get you paired off with someone....worse case scenario we'll pair you off with Tom....looks like he'll be done tomorrow.

I got stymied a bit. I stopped by the local train store and showed the owner my idea. He said that I would probably be looking for stuff in G scale and that he had nothing. Looks like l'll be scratch-building most everything I need. Oh well, won't be the first time.

And i wouldn't be against being paired up again.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Thanks. Mainly what I need is a good 1/25 (or close) train bell like is shown behind the front bumper of one of the photos I posted. I have something that I may be able to modify to work. I also need a few RR company logos like are on the door of the same pics. Something that would work in 1/25 scale. I imagine that I need two or three. I am going to try to make the wheels starting tomorrow. I have some sheet styrene that I think I can make work for the wheels.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

The kit from Dragline just arrived here at work. Got back from lunch, box on my desk. Yay!

IMG_20171026_1317277.thumb.jpg.a94d02ec9

The first indication that something interesting was about to happen was from the shape of the box. This was NOT a box for a Revell, AMT, Monogram, or any other domestic kit.

And upon opening and review, I have this to say:

If the goal was to have us step out of our comfort zones...Bob, you have 100% succeeded! And I am looking forward to this challenge!

IMG_20171026_1318399.thumb.jpg.6e2968f07

This is not something I would ever have thought to build, so with zero preconceived notions about what this is supposed to be, consider this project underway!

Glad to see you are pleased Dan. The goal was not something outrageous but challenging.

Very cool history of this and quite a few other H-D and motorcycle kits I have. I bought these from our dear leader Gregg himself when he was culling his personal stash. So these came from Hawaii to Baltimore, then brought up here to Mass, then sent to Canada to you.

Have fun with it.

Bob

After just a few minutes of searching for ideas I believe I have found something that, not only have I not done, but I don't think I have seen on this site.

http://41-railway-woody-web.jpg

http://1940-woody-western-maryland_1.jpg

I am excited about this! Now for more research and a stop at the local train hobby store. Interestingly enough there is a connection for me. Most here don't know that I was a conductor and engineer with the Alaska Railroad for 11 years.

Later-

Tom,

Found these today at a hobby store in Buffalo. Jimmy Flintstone resin. Not a perfect match but, a decent starting point. Let me know.

20171027_204220.jpg

Where is everyone at on their build? Let's see some updates!

I sprayed the first mist coat on my body today. When I picked up the paint stand to paint the underside of the body it fell off the stand and into a bunch of crud on the bench. I'll sand it out in the morning and start again.

Later-

Hey Tom,

It does seem like your way ahead of the pack here. I myself have been too pooped this past couple of weeks. I work outside all day and lately michigans been topping out around 45°. In the mornings far less. Plus I'm waiting on a key part to come in so I can get fitments right and really get into it...... Pllluuuuuussss I got a package from mk11 I've been waiting on that included my 1st non snap kit so the excitement of that has drawn my attention. Only 2 or 3 weeks left for work and I get all winter off. So my schedule is going to be based solely on glue and paint dry time on the speedwagon very soon. Good to see others rocking and rolling right along though. Your railroad woody is turning out great!

Anthony, 

I understand completely about the work thing. I used to work outside in construction and I wasn't very fond of the cold days. Honestly, if I didn't have the shop at work my progress would be much slower. I don't get much time at home to build. I go into work early to get things set up for the day. I use that time to get work done on my model projects. Also, since I am usually the only one in the shop I leave my stuff set up. That way if I come back in the shop between jobs I shoot another coat on something or tinker for a minute while figuring out what my next work project is. Plus, I get an hour for lunch.  Makes it really nice for getting modelling done.

Looking forward to the progress on your build.

Later-