Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swap-N-Build CBP

Jhedir6

Ok guys. I have an idea for a CBP. The basics are, you put your name in a draw (like a secret Santa) and the name you get you send a kit to, and they build it and post progress/finished builds here. 

Now, finer points. It wont be a secret. The name swap will be random, but who you get will be posted here. For example, Tom and Bill's names are picked. Tom and Bill will PM each other their shipping info and mail each other a kit. The kit should be a surprise. You can discuss likes/dislikes but ideally you're going to get a "present". By agreeing to participate you are agreeing to build what you get, no matter what, even if its something you would never buy and build on your own. Kit's should be in the $15-20 range, new and unstarted (lightly started if you tell the person that it is and they are ok with it...no pics, just "Bob I got a kit, the engine is glued together but nothing else is started. Michael's/Hobby Lobby kits are good, with the coupons you're coming in around the price mark. Kits should be full kits...no simple snappers, curbsides are fine too as long as they arent too simple...a curbside race car with lots of decals would offset no engine/suspension. Automotive kits should be up for swaps, however, if you PM your recipient and they are ok with a plane or something non automotive than that would be fine. 

This idea was born out of the Pay It Forward thread in the Trading Post section, but instead of moving kits you have multiples of for a kit you dont have to pad out the stash, these would be built. Time frame would be about 6 months, first month to get the list up and filled out, 5 months to build up kits. OOB is more that fine for level of detail. You can add extra details if you like but the idea is to build what you get fairly quickly. Please keep in mind that you're paying for shipping, to your recipient, so if you dont want to ship outside your own country please let me know. For those in Europe or Australia or elsewhere, I would try to match you up with someone close to home to keep shipping down to a minimum. For me, I'm fine with shipping to the US since it's pretty much the same price within Canada as it is to go to the continental US.

If this is something you feel you might be interested please post a reply up here with your country included. If you dont want to ship internationally PM me and I'll make sure you're partnered with someone "local". If you dont, I'll assume cross border is ok. 

If you have any suggestion please post them up too.

David

I'd be up for this. Count me in. I need another project to start....... I think it would be a fun idea. I build cars and pickups but I wouldn't mind just about anything other than military and evil/ grotesque Sci fi (religious reasons).  I am in Washington state.

Later-

Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping for a few more, so I'm going to let this ride till this weekend. Then I'll do the random draws for names and post of the swap list. 

Once posted its up to you guys to exchange info. Feel free to discuss what your interests are if you're inclined to, but it should be a surprise. The sender can send something the other guy will like or be "mean" and force the recipient out of their comfort zone and build something they normally wouldn't.

Once you get your "surprise" please post up a pic and lets us know what you think and what your plans are....remember you HAVE to build it.

And let us know what you plan on doing with it. Remember, paint it and detail it like you normally would. 

Here's hoping for a few more people....ideally I'd like to get around 10 guys or more. So if you think you'd like to participate please post up.

Personally, I'm hoping for some "out of the comfort zone" builds here.

There are some guys around here that I've seen do amazing work ion trucks, but have never posted u pa car. Or those that do amazing old rods and muscle cars, but have never done an import.

Looking forward to seeing what shows up!

I see six names so far. :)

Edited by iamsuperdan

Ok guys, its Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada this weekend, so since Monday is a holiday I'll do the list up Monday and post it up.

So, if anyone else out there thinks they'd be interested please post up a reply by Monday morning. We can always add more people after, but would really like to get 10 people at least to kick it off.

Thanks and Happy Turkey Day.

Thanks Dave. You're definitely welcome.

OK guys...need at least one more person to join up so we dont have an odd number of swapies.

If you'd like to participate please post up by Sunday or early Monday morning as sometime Monday I'll do the draws.

Ok guys here's the list.

iamsuperdan -------swap with ---------Dragline

prostreeter69--------swap with--------StockBoresMe

68shortfeet----------swap with---------Modlbldr

dave branson-------swap with-------Jhedir6

More are welcome, I'll just add to the list if anyone else would like to join, remember we need pairs. 

PM your swapie...remember, you can discuss what you like/dislike but it shouldnt be "ok I'll send you an X and you send me a "Y", the kit should be a surprise. And also you can send something the recipient likes or something you would like to see them build given their interests, or you can send them something else. 

Build it OOB or custom or add aftermarket it's up to you but you HAVE to build what you get. Paint it and detail it how you would normally but OOB is more than acceptable. 

Kit value, a $20 kit is fine, you can send a more expensive one if you want, but you might not get one of equal value back. Kit's should be new and unstarted. Open is fine. If you have something that the other person as expressed interest in and you think they'd like the kit but its mildly started, ie motor assembled or body painted, check with them before sending that they'd be ok with it. Most of us I am sure can strip a body of paint without too much issues.

Please post up progress pics here, more detailed builds in the Workbench sections if you like, with links to this thread might get some more people interested.

Timeframe...I havent really set one, I was thinking "winter is coming" and so it's fall now, having them done for spring shouldn't be an issue for anyone since OOB is all we're aiming for. So let's say March 1st? That's basically 4 an a half months. 

Shipping. Dan and I are the only Canucks, so if anyone has an issue shipping to Canada let me know ASAP and I'll make alterations. You dont have to ship them out tomorrow but soon. Give your swapie an idea of when to expect them. 

Thanks again to those participating. 

Well people are jumping on this quick, thanks guys. Mine from Dave is already on the way, and Dave's should be in the mail later today. 

Once you receive your gift please post up a pic of your "present" so we can all see what you'll be working on. 

Post updates too...doesnt have to be every pic you take and please do a wip if you're so inclinded in the Workbench Section with updates/links here.

This is still open to anyone else that would like to join. 

Jason and I have determined what the other is getting and we are both looking forward to our "presents". I got a few spray bombs of paint from a friend last night. Perhaps I can use one or two on whatever I am getting.

On a side note- I now have two new projects (64 TBolt and 66 Chevy 396) to put on the back burner very shortly.

Later-

Mystery kit on its way to Tom. Shipped out earlier today.

No idea what I will be receiving yet, but looking forward to it. It's going to be tough to clear the bench for a new project though, propably going to have to "share" the bench space.

On a different note. I am curious(and it might help others in the future) how you other traders came to your decision of what kit to "trade".

Jason, I'm not sure what others did, but for me, I snooped around and lookd at what Bob has built and posted aorund here. Then I looked around my stash for something I hadnt seen him build before. And then because he builds a wide variety of subjects, I said to myself, which of these do I really want to see built, and built well? I knew I didn't want to send a curbside, because I know some poeple view those as cheaper and not worth as much as full kits.I have no problem with curbsides, but some do, so I tried to avoid those. I thought I had something perfect picked, but then I was just checking out the contents and noticed the body was extremely warped. I think it can be salvaged, but I'm not going to knowingly send a damaged or flawed kit to anyone. So I pikced something else that I want to see built properly. One I hadn't seen around here from anyone.

And in related news, Canada Post is busy speeding a kit to Bob (Dragline) this very instant. 

:)

For me, I knew Dave has a pretty big stash of kits, from what he posted in the Pay It Forward threads so I wanted to find something I hadnt seen him post, hoping he didnt have one. Also, when I sent my shipping info to Dave, I told him what I liked and then asked him for his likes and shipping info. He told me what he liked so I tried to find something that fit in those parameters. Turned out I didnt really have anything I felt he'd like or wasn't likely to have so I actually bought a new kit from a US vendor and had it shipped direct to Dave. Cost turns out to be pretty much exactly what it would be to send a kit from the stash plus shipping. Just hoping he hasnt rushed out to buy some of these, cause it's actually a new release. 

Looking forward to seeing what everyone gets.