Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO Variants?

Dodge Driver

All the 1/24 scale Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO kits I have seen feature the same parts count. The box contents appear to be the same. Yet the " Enthusiast" labeled kits carry a higher asking price on Ebay.

What's the difference, if there is one, between the kit variants?

Other than the differences between the street and race version they're all the same. The eBay people prey on the uninformed and well Enthusiast Series kits are old, so they must be VALUABLE. All of the EM kits have been reissued at least once since the 1980s, some more than that. Several of the most popular like the Countach and later 911s (70s and 80s variants), along with the Daytonas, 288 GTO & Dinos have been reissued recently in either plain boxes or as part of the Circuit Wolf series. Fujimi is going to reissue the Dino 246 GT kit again in December actually. 

Edited by niteowl7710

Frank, if you get that 288, make sure you got your patience hat on! Those kits while very nice and detailed, can be fiddly in spots so you gotta take your time with them. Even just restoring the '63 356 Porsche I did recently tested my patience a bit as I had to refer back to the instructions as to how I did what, and in what sequence. ;)

Other than the differences between the street and race version they're all the same. The eBay people prey on the uninformed and well Enthusiast Series kits are old, so they must be VALUABLE. All of the EM kits have been reissued at least once since the 1980s, some more than that. Several of the most popular like the Countach and later 911s (70s and 80s variants), along with the Daytonas, 288 GTO & Dinos have been reissued recently in either plain boxes or as part of the Circuit Wolf series. Fujimi is going to reissue the Dino 246 GT kit again in December actually. 

I'm slowly learning to take my time regarding Japanese kit buying.

Thanks for your valuable info on these kits.

Frank, if you get that 288, make sure you got your patience hat on! Those kits while very nice and detailed, can be fiddly in spots so you gotta take your time with them. Even just restoring the '63 356 Porsche I did recently tested my patience a bit as I had to refer back to the instructions as to how I did what, and in what sequence. ;)

Bill, my plan is to start out with some Japanese curbsides and work my way up to a full-detail Fujimi kit. At the pace I work at, that may never actually happen:unsure:

But at least I have a plan :rolleyes:

It’s a brilliant kit... just go for the cheapest box you can find. The trickiest area is the back end, where you’re building a scale thickness frame around the engine, locating the turbos and exhausts and constructing the suspension, all from many separate high-fidelity parts, and you only know you’ve got it exactly right when all four wheels sit squarely on the ground at the end. It’s probably the most difficult bit of “kit sssembly” I’ve ever done (any more difficult “builds” I’ve done have been self inflicted attempts to make things up as I went along)

You won’t regret it if you buy one...

best,

M.

It’s a brilliant kit... just go for the cheapest box you can find. The trickiest area is the back end, where you’re building a scale thickness frame around the engine, locating the turbos and exhausts and constructing the suspension, all from many separate high-fidelity parts, and you only know you’ve got it exactly right when all four wheels sit squarely on the ground at the end. It’s probably the most difficult bit of “kit sssembly” I’ve ever done (any more difficult “builds” I’ve done have been self inflicted attempts to make things up as I went along)

You won’t regret it if you buy one...

best,

M.

Thanks Matt! I was studying the instructions at Hobby Search. The assembly does look challenging.

My birthday is approaching...this kit might be a good gift to myself.

Some of the EM kits have been reissued as curbside kits in the RS series so they are all not the same. At least some 911's and the Dino's are that way.

At least with the Dinos it's easy to tell the kits apart.  The Curbside kits have 114, and 86 parts for the Coupe and Spyder respectively while the EM based kits - which confusingly also got packaged in the Real Sports line have well over 200 parts and the box art for the Ferrari kits have shown the piece count for the past decade or so.

Edited by niteowl7710

The Revell 288 GTO kit is NOT a reboxed Fujimi anything. Revell did their own version of the GTO.  It looks okay but it does not have the detail of the Fujimi kit. Here are some pictures of the Revell 288 I build a few years back. I think it's biggest downfall is the tires and wheels don't look right to me.  I also have the Fumimi EM kit that I'm going to build some day.

Revell 288 GTORevell Engine

Revell 288 GTO front view

That's a reboxed Italeri 1/24 288. It is nice save for the TRX tires that are easily replaced. Body is very nice an only fiddly thing is rear window/deck fit. Better tires and thinning up front spindles and wheels was about it. I think the roof/rear on it is better proportioned than the Fujimi

The Revell 288 GTO kit is NOT a reboxed Fujimi anything. Revell did their own version of the GTO.  It looks okay but it does not have the detail of the Fujimi kit. Here are some pictures of the Revell 288 I build a few years back. I think it's biggest downfall is the tires and wheels don't look right to me.  I also have the Fumimi EM kit that I'm going to build some day.

Revell 288 GTORevell Engine

Revell 288 GTO front view

Hi,

Wow, the kit looks awesome but you're right the tires/wheels look off.

Italeri Boxing. Came out in 84-5. Red model pixs on that box. Had other issue with drawings. Their F40 is a prototype, has 5 vents on quarter under rear spoiler. Testarossa is meh. 288 rear quarter is long, Fujimi seems a bit short, and tires don't fill wells. Stance fixable on both, but quarter a lot of work. This build shortened mirrors, correctly put quad squ

Credit to builder, great in silver, Mexican 288 repainted silver long ago. Haven't seen in years. Correctly installed quad lights under bumper

Related image

Edited by keyser
  • Like 1