Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Ford wrecker

Hi, Missing Link has the cab for $50. You could build one from a super stones f350 cab. I did one almost 15 years ago, didn't come out too bad. I've seen your builds & I'm sure you would have no problem building one. The wrecker body would be easy to build. Here's the missing link cab & one I built a long time ago that was rebuilt by someone else. http://www.missinglinkrc.com/70s_f700_2012.htm

700.JPG

juo.jpg

She looks like she's a real no-nonsense old girl - sitting there, ready to give her all and to serve for many more years. Those big Fords are soooo cool..  I wonder how much they are asking for that truck? That towing rigging looks like you could tow a bus with it.. The wrecker deck is nice but the book was not made to be pretty - but to work! Thank you for pasting the photos.. I collect pictures of old tow trucks, older and bigger work trucks in general, car transporters and tractor trailers.. I've already saved these images to my hard drive. Thank you once again.

As I know it sold out for now. I'm waiting for this kit myself.

X2,  the response I got, sold out. There seems to be a large following for this class of truck. These  local medium duty trucks have been under represented for a long time, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The new IH loadstar is great to see, hopefully more never done before mediums become readily available. These type of trucks usually have a  standard pickup cab  with just the addition of larger fenders, running boards and grills. To add to the wish list, the '48-'52 F 7 -F8, the 53-'56 F750-F900, '60 -'72 Chevy C50-C70. Building larger front ends from scratch is not  an option to average builders, easier to write a check. 

Pat that truck cab looks like  it is a 73 or newer, and that may have been changed over the years. It has the rounded in highlight  line in the door and cab. The front looks the same as our old 68 bus we had for a camper. 

Correct, '73-'79 to be exact. Most popular models were F 600, F 700, F 750, F 800. This model truck series has historical significance as well, '79 was the last year for  an " ALL STEEL" front end , replaced with fiberglass in 1980. '67--'72 trucks were very similar in styling, but sheetmetal did not interchange.

I would like to build one of these myself. We use to keep up the maintenance on one of these (F600) that was a garbage truck. We called it the maggot wagon. I always hated working on that truck, but would like to build one now. The cabs from 67-79 are basically the same as the cabs of the pickups for the same year model. The dash is slightly different in the larger trucks and a little more industrial looking. The one that we kept up had a 330 engine in it. It looked very similar to an FE (352, 360, 390) but slightly different.