Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just Joined Sept,22/'17

Jim Ervin

I guess it's about time I joined a model car forum or association. I've been a model airplane, then a model car builder since way back. My first two I/25 scale model cars were AMT Annuals, a 1958 Ford and a '58 Pontiac convertible. They got heavily customized but I now have their replacements, one built, in nice, stock condition. And before that I was building Highway Pioneers, which I still have. Remember them?  Building model cars led to my interest in full size old cars, particularly Model A Fords. With a lot of help from my mother, I bought a '30 Model A Coupe in 1964, which I still have. Then I got involved with the Model A Ford Club of America and the car got restored, totally stock.I couldn't do all the work on it but I certainly put it together by myself and pinstriped it. Now I have a bunch of trophies which it has won. I'll try not to brag about that.In 1975 I graduated with a certificate in Graphic Design, now obsolete thanks to computers. Meanwhile my model car collection and my interest in other old cars continued to grow. A lot of other automotive related things such die-cast toy cars, license plates and sales brochures followed. In 1982 I organized a local club for model car builders, the Automotive Model Builders Club. That club changed it's focus to being mainly a kit buyers and sellers club. However I continue to be a model car builder and have moved on to other things such as comedy and song writing. I play some saxophone and collect old records as well. That's a little of what I've been up to over the years.