Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Ventura

This kit is based off of the AMT '72 Nova SS kit. They shared the basic body but with different front sheet metal much as they did in real life. The fitment problems go back to the Nova kit that had the Drag Racing option. The fenders are not part of the body and are very difficult to align. The front wheel base is also questionable. There is a very nice resin body of the Ventura II  based off of the Nova kit if this one becomes to difficult to get the front end right. It is a one piece body with the grills molded in place.     

It was kind of clever  that GM used the NOVA name to make up the names of the other Nova based cars.  Nova, Omega. Ventura and Apollo.

I never noticed that!

I drove a '76 or '77 Omega with the 305 Chevy engine for a number of years. It would really scoot! It was probably my 3rd or 4th or 5th favorite (personally-owned) car of all time. I'd happily buy another one of these cars if the price were right and it were it decent shape to start with. Alas, there aren't too many of them around anymore.

I don't get why GM would name one of their cars "The End"! :blink:

Have you never hear Bill Mitchell, head of GM's styling department at the time story of naming those cars? Bill loved to tell people in his later years, about taking the first initial of each X-body car and noting what they spell. Let's see. You have Nova. Omega. Ventura. And Apollo. What does spell? I wonder?

Mitchell also claimed they wanted to do the same with H-body Vega clones. They got as far as Vega and Astra. The Buick and Oldsmobile versions never made into production. Mitchell would never tell anybody what the planned names for the Buick or Oldsmobile version were. But, I've got my guesses. What are yours?

Same reason they named one "It won't go" in Spanish, I guess.

Nowadays you can buy a car called the KIA. I ain't having it.

Nothing wrong with buying a Kia branded car.

Kia has been ranked the number 1 for new model reliability for 2016 , and it looks like for 2017 via JD Power,  so that says something I suppose.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/22/kia-just-accomplished-something-no-automaker-has-done-in-27-years.html

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170621/OEM01/170629948/2017-j-d-power-iqs-kia

Edited by martinfan5

Same reason they named one "It won't go" in Spanish, I guess.

Nowadays you can buy a car called the KIA. I ain't having it.

From what I've read, the using the Nova name in Spanish speaking countries is a bit of a myth. GM knew what Nova meant in Spanish and stayed with the Chevy II name in Spanish speaking countries.

Thanks for info guys. Here's some pics of the kit I bought and I see what you mean about the poor fitment of the front fenders. Luckily I've got an old Amt Nova that will help with the restoration. Does any body have an extra headlamp and an instruction sheet?

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG