Model Cars Magazine Forum

New eye

unclescott58

Had cataract surgery on my left eye yesterday day. Getting the right eye done in couple weeks. It's been less than 24 hours as I write this, and I'm already pretty impressed with the results. The eye feels pretty good. And I can again see through it. In fact I can pretty good through it. I'm excited by the results. Now, will it make me a better modeler?

Edited by unclescott58

Had cataract surgery on my left eye yestday. Getting the right eye done in couple weeks. It's been less than 24 hours as I write this, and I'm already pretty impressed with the results. The eye feels pretty good. And I can again see through it. In fact I can pretty good through it. I'm excited by the results. Now, will it make me a better modeler?

Seeing better will definitely help you with your model building, however being a better modeler comes from the skills that you learn and develop.

I had my left eye done 2 years ago, and my right eye will be done at the end of October.  It definitely improved my vision.  I can now do some close up work without using my Optivisor.  My night vision is much better, not being cloudy and not having lights look like "stars".

I had an eye exam in June. She told me I was just beginning to have cataracts, but not bad enough to fix yet, so I guess that's in my future. No doubt after my job goes away next year and I lose my health insurance.

My presbyopia is getting worse and I can't focus on anything close up anymore. Glasses get me through the day and almost all my modeling has been done with Optivisor for several years now. I love the thing, though it did take some getting used to.

My biggest problem is I have an enormous "floater" in my right eye that every so often makes it look like I'm trying to see through frosted glass. The doc said she could actually SEE the thing, but apparently there's nothing they can do about it. I'd think they could laser those things out, or something, by now, but evidently not.

The other eye is scheduled to be fixed on October 12th. I'm looking forward to it. Even with just the one eye fixed so far, I see better without my glasses, than with. This is a miracle. I've been wearing glasses since I was 13. They say I'll probably still need glasses for reading. But for distances.... I may not. Yea! I can live with that!

I had an eye exam in June. She told me I was just beginning to have cataracts, but not bad enough to fix yet, so I guess that's in my future. No doubt after my job goes away next year and I lose my health insurance.

My presbyopia is getting worse and I can't focus on anything close up anymore. Glasses get me through the day and almost all my modeling has been done with Optivisor for several years now. I love the thing, though it did take some getting used to.

My biggest problem is I have an enormous "floater" in my right eye that every so often makes it look like I'm trying to see through frosted glass. The doc said she could actually SEE the thing, but apparently there's nothing they can do about it. I'd think they could laser those things out, or something, by now, but evidently not.

I had my eye doctor tell me last December that I was in the very beginning stages of a cataract in my right eye. For those of that might remember, that was the eye that had the detached retina, which they fixed with the balloon implant. They also tell me that there's nothing they can do with it till the cataract "blooms", and NOT to change the prescription in my glasses till the cataract is out.

If I do it before, once the cataract is gone my prescription will more than likely change again. As it stands now, the vision in my right eye is VERY blurry to the point that I close my left eye, I literally have to put the words on a page within inches of my eye to read what it says. I don't go back to the Doctor until December........hopefully all this is taken care of then.

Not to scare you Snake, but the one eye doctor said that having a large floater in my eye is what contributed to my retinal detachment. I can say that since I had the implant done, there's still that "gray area"  in my lower right peripheral vision. It hasn't gotten any worse, but once the cataract is fully out I hope that goes away too.

As far as glasses, I've been wearing 'em since the first grade, and that was over 50 years ago! :blink:

Welcome to the modern Old age.

Get some new knees next, mine are great.;)

I think I'll need hips before I get to the knees. A friend was telling about his dad, who in his 90's got new knees, his prostrate fixed, and cataract surgery. He said, his dad was so delighted. He felt like a young man again.

Not to scare you Snake, but the one eye doctor said that having a large floater in my eye is what contributed to my retinal detachment. I can say that since I had the implant done, there's still that "gray area"  in my lower right peripheral vision. It hasn't gotten any worse, but once the cataract is fully out I hope that goes away too.

As far as glasses, I've been wearing 'em since the first grade, and that was over 50 years ago! :blink:

I remember you posting that, and asked about it. She said my retinas were fine.

She also said I was at the extreme upper range of "normal" for the glaucoma test, test too. Something to keep an eye one, no pun intended.

Apparently I have no symptoms of macular degeneration. Oh yeah, I asked all the questions, and really got my (insurance company's) money's worth!

BTW, I ended up going with progressive glasses this time. Only took a couple days to get used to them for "everyday" use, but I would NEVER do any model or drawing work with them due to the weird shape distortions.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the right eye fixed yesterday. Things again went great. But now I need reading glasses. Me distance eye site is now very good. Still, it maybe better with glasses. So I may still need bifocals. Oh well. The surgery did improve things, a lot! Life is good.

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes and I have to wear bifocals, so don't feel bad.

In seeing the eye doctor this morning, he told me that my left eye, done three weeks ago today, that I'm see at 20/25 with it. Too early to say about the right. Though I thinking I'm already seeing better than that with my right eye. My reading vision has gone away with the operation. I'm now using cheap cheaters for that. So will I still need bifocals? Or can I get by with just reading glasses for now? Time will tell. I have my next appointment with the eye doctor two weeks from today.

I had both eyes done last year...colors are much more vivid and for the first time in 60+ years I no longer need glasses except for reading things close up.

I've worn glasses since I was 3 years old and could never read anything with out them.....I couldn't be more pleased.

It was also painless...a real bonus!

Edited by mike 51

In seeing the eye doctor this morning, he told me that my left eye, done three weeks ago today, that I'm see at 20/25 with it. Too early to say about the right. Though I thinking I'm already seeing better than that with my right eye. My reading vision has gone away with the operation. I'm now using cheap cheaters for that. So will I still need bifocals? Or can I get by with just reading glasses for now? Time will tell. I have my next appointment with the eye doctor two weeks from today.

You'll need something for close-up. I recently went from bifocals to progressives. They took a few days to get used to but now I could hardly be happier with them. I can see everything from very close up to very far away just by moving my head a little. After a couple days it becomes so automatic you don't even realize you're doing it.