Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Corvette

unclescott58

Well, I had to do it. And Snake will be glad to hear about this. Today, in the mail from Ballzanos off of eBay, I got the AMT/Ertl 1/25 scale 1957 Corvette Convertible. The Corvette 50th Anniversary edition. I've always liked the four headlamp C1 Corvettes. And the chicken wire, two headlamp versions. But, the '56 and '57 have never done much for me. I always thought they were okay. But, not enough to purchase a model of one. 

In the last year I've been on a bit of a C1 buying binge. For years I've had a few in my collection. But, in the last year I've added a second AMT '59, a Revell and MPC '60, a Revell '62, and a AMT '55 promo. That was added to my '53 AMT promo, '58 Revell kit, my earlier '59 AMT kit, '62 AMT kit, and my Revell/Monogram Tom Taylor Vette AGIN kit. So what's missing? A '56 or '57. And what better way of filling that gap than with the AMT/Ertl designed 1957? 

As noted, I got the kit in today's mail, and I immediately opened it up. The body alone on this kit blew me away. It's very, very nice. The other parts look great too. This obviously is one of the great kits Ertl tooled up sometime in the 1990's I'm guessing. It does not look like a repop of an old AMT or MPC kit. The details looks very good. Better than I expected. I'm more excited about this kit than I thought I would be. 

Despite my excitement after seeing this kit, I still like the four headlamp C1 Corvettes better, especially the '58, than the '56 or '57. At the same time this is a very nice kit to add to my collection. 

• Like 1

Does that particular '57 Corvette kit come with a one-piece chassis or does it have separate suspension pieces?

Seperate. This a very modern, up to date kit, detail wise. Much nicer than I expected. Beautiful 289 fuelie in it. Seperate upper fender scoops. Lots of good detailed parts. The only subpar thing I see, is the lack of a turn signal lever on steering column. That and a gas pedal been molded in to the floor. Yet there are seperate brake and clutch pedals. Seperate interior side panels with good detail, window cranks, armrests, etc. Like I say, it's a very nice modern, up to date style kit.

Other than a few really minor details, AMT's 1996 tool 57 Corvette is top shelf. I think the headlights are a touch big and the side coves aren't 100 percent accurate. But it certainly beats the Old MPC kit and gives the Monogram kit a really good run for the money too. Especially in the chassis and engine department.

57Corvettechassis-vi (2).jpg

DSC02933rt-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby
Typos from auto correct on my cell phone!
  • Like 1

That was one of the reasons I backed off of AMT's kit when I wanted to do a super detailed '57 'Vette back in the early '00's------no separate hardtop. Instead I took some aspects of the AMT kit and applied it to the Monogram one which does have the top. Of course, some "stretching" and tweaking had to be done because of the two different scales, but the effort was worth it.

Dave, I never noticed the AMT kit having headlights that are a scooch too big! I'll have to take a second look the next time I dig that kit up. I'd like to do another C1 'Vette someday.............the Harlow Curtice street SR-2 which is sometimes seen on the show circuit. ;)

sr2_1.thumb.jpg.3fd0b6fc5cf2c92bbc76ba47

Other than a few really minor details, Amy's 1996 tool 57 Corvette is top shelf. I think the headlights are a touch big and the side cover aren't 100 percent accurate. But it certainly beats the Old MPS kit and gives the Monogram kit a really good run for the money too. Especially in the chassis and engine department.

57Corvettechassis-vi (2).jpg

DSC02933rt-vi.jpg

I believe above kit is the same one I have. And I plan on doing it in the exact same color scheme. Red with white coves and red interior.  

That was one of the reasons I backed off of AMT's kit when I wanted to do a super detailed '57 'Vette back in the early '00's------no separate hardtop. Instead I took some aspects of the AMT kit and applied it to the Monogram one which does have the top. Of course, some "stretching" and tweaking had to be done because of the two different scales, but the effort was worth it.

Dave, I never noticed the AMT kit having headlights that are a scooch too big! I'll have to take a second look the next time I dig that kit up. I'd like to do another C1 'Vette someday.............the Harlow Curtice street SR-2 which is sometimes seen on the show circuit. ;)

sr2_1.thumb.jpg.3fd0b6fc5cf2c92bbc76ba47

I think maybe the real problem with the headlights is more with the lenses, which, rather than being recessed into the bezel, are large and bulbous. An almost "muffin top" appearance. I think with a black border on the inside of the bezel, and a {slightly} smaller and thinner lens, the headlights would look more like the real car. I'd be tempted to go with some better wheel covers next time too. But again, these are nit picks. The AMT 57 would still be my go-to for a 56-57 Corvette.

P6130091-vi.jpg

PA070014-vi.jpg

PA50031-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

Ok, from your pics Dave I see what you mean about those headlights! ;)

Looking at those hubcaps, they could stand to be a bit more "bowed out" and no so flat appearing. Still, they're better than the Monogram ones as those have too many "spokes" in 'em. If I ever build a plain stock '57 'Vette, I'd probably choose the AMT one as well------the Monogram had too many issues looking back body wise, and I can always tweak a hardtop out there to fit it. I've got spare lenses that might work to get rid of the buggy eyed appearance. To me the best thing about that kit is the windshield frame shape is 'bout perfect. The other renditions of this kit never get that '56-'62 frame shape quite right.

Maxx, I can't remember if the kit comes with multiple engine options or not. Something tells me no, but I could be wrong.

Ok, from your pics Dave I see what you mean about those headlights! ;)

Looking at those hubcaps, they could stand to be a bit more "bowed out" and no so flat appearing. Still, they're better than the Monogram ones as those have too many "spokes" in 'em. If I ever build a plain stock '57 'Vette, I'd probably choose the AMT one as well------the Monogram had too many issues looking back body wise, and I can always tweak a hardtop out there to fit it. I've got spare lenses that might work to get rid of the buggy eyed appearance. To me the best thing about that kit is the windshield frame shape is 'bout perfect. The other renditions of this kit never get that '56-'62 frame shape quite right.

Maxx, I can't remember if the kit comes with multiple engine options or not. Something tells me no, but I could be wrong.

The wheel covers are one area are the old MPC kit is probably the best of all of them, followed by the later Revell/Pro Modeler 58 kit.

Johnny Nitpicker, here. I'm seeing proportion and shape issues with the grill and placement errors with the round front emblem (How does the MPC kit compare?). Otherwise, I like it.

Of course I can't complain too much 'cause I still like the old SMP '59 - '61 kits with their blunt fronts and beady headlights!

Johnny Nitpicker, here. I'm seeing proportion and shape issues with the grill and placement errors with the round front emblem (How does the MPC kit compare?). Otherwise, I like it.

Of course I can't complain too much 'cause I still like the old SMP '59 - '61 kits with their blunt fronts and beady headlights!

I have an old MPC 57 I started years ago and it definitely benefits from having the grille opening enlarged to accept the grille from an AMT 53 Vette. Not sure why I never finished it. Maybe because of the crude chassis....

Headlights are becoming an especially important part to making a model look like a miniature replica.  If you study the photos, you see where you can improve the kit headlights.  Most all sealed beam lights have a retainer ring around them.  THe AMT Datsun 280 zx turbo has the BEST headlight lenses in this regard. they actually have the ring molded - then they ruin it with a mounting post.  But there is the black gap in there as well, plus the recessing of the lens.  If you worked out to fix these issues, it would greatly improve the overall realism.  How to do that?  I don't know right off, but these are the things we have to study and correct when we're building.  With that said, the model in the pics is a beautiful build.  

I'm not knocking anyone's builds by any means. Just I  have been studying things I can do (I'm no Mr Obsessive) to improve my building with what is provided in the box.  I don't buy aftermarket stuff much anymore and don;t want to take the time to put the wires in anymore.  But I do want my model to look as real as possible sitting on the shelf.

• 4 years later...

Hello . Bringing back to life this older thread . Here is the kit I'm starting . I picked this up 2nd hand . Fit up issue with engine/

transmission .

Is this kit the later version mentioned here ? 

Dave , what shade of red is on your build in photos ? I'm attempting to match box art colour scheme .

Thanks .

Robert .

IMG_2486.JPG

Robert, the reissued kit you have pictured there is pretty much the same one as the original. That was intro'd back around '77 or so when it was originally just Monogram. The Revell name got stuck on the kits at some point.

Not a bad kit at all as far as how it goes together. In fact, that was the very first kit I ever attempted when I started building back in 1978. To my eyes, there are some proportional issues, but if you want a nice shelf model without a ton of drama building it, this one should fill the bill.

On 9/23/2017 at 3:48 PM, unclescott58 said:

But, in the last year I've added a second AMT '59, a Revell and MPC '60, a Revell '62, and a AMT '55 promo. That was added to my '53 AMT promo, '58 Revell kit, my earlier '59 AMT kit, '62 AMT kit, and my Revell/Monogram Tom Taylor Vette AGIN kit.

The AMT 59 is really just a stripped down reissue of the old SMP annual, and still represents 1960 kit. Conversely, and not sure why in either case, the Revell 1960 labeled Corvette (below) is really a 1959.

20211114_212242.jpg

• 1 year later...

This AMT appears not to have the issue of the small headlights. Or is this an MPC repackaged as AMT?

Many Corvette enthusiasts consider the 1956 & 1957 the prettiest of the C1 Corvettes. Many believe the 1958-62 with four headlights look a little front heavy, but not me. But I am biased of course.

3 hours ago, GarryR said:

The headlight issue is with the SMP-AMT 1961-1962 Corvettes.

I have an older 59 or 60 AMT Corvette my brother built when he was a teenager. My brother is now in his mid 60s and this AMT 59 or 60 has the smallish headlight issue.