Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Les Ritchey's '63 Lightweight Galaxie

johnwitzke

Since building my first '63 lightweight Galaxie, Brannan's car, I learned a lot about how I would improve upon my next build.  With that said,  I have started another 1963 lightweight Galaxie.  This one will be Les Ritchey's Viking Blue/Beige interior car.  I figured this time I would put more detail into the engine, specifically the intake and carb areas.  So I ordered resin carburetors, Holley 4160 from Fireball Modelworks.  These carburetors have excellent detail and really make the engine look real.  I highly recommend them.  I have added addition detail making the intake and carb as close to factory correct as I can.  I will be adding to this topic as the build goes along.  Enjoy and thanks for looking.....John    

427 intake (1280x869) (3).jpg

427 intake 2 (1280x794) (2).jpg

427 intake 3 (1280x939).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

An update on Les Ritchey's '63 Galaxie Lightweight. 

Since the hoods on the '63 lightweights were fiberglass, the underside was rough and unfinished.  To replicate, I removed the bracing detail so that I had a smooth surface, then I used Scale Motorsports textured spray paint, followed by primer, then body color.  

Additionally, I added the black hose that connects between the two carbs 

63 underhood detail Ritchey 2.jpg

63 intake Ritchey (1280x936).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Update on engine build.  Making progress, but a lot still left to do.  The wiring will be per original firing order.  Next photo will be of the completed engine.  Until then, here is what I have done so far.  The oil filter is a true red and has the correct Rotunda marking on it.

Thanks all for your feedback

63 427 engine Ritchey (800x600).jpg

63 427 engine Ritchey 2 (800x600).jpg

63 underhood detail Ritchey 2 (800x600).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Update on body work.  All door and trunk seams have been scribed a little deeper, imperfections, mold lines, etc., have been removed and is now in primer status.  Tamyia white prime lays down a flawless finish.  Simply the best primer.  Moving closer to exterior finish.  I will be using MCW # 6233 Viking Blue lacquer.  

63 Les Ritchey Vels Ford Lightwight Primer (800x600).jpg

63 Les Ritchey Vels Ford Sales (618x800).jpg

63 xl 100 7 (800x450).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

• 2 months later...

Been away from working on this one for awhile.  Prepping the engine for the ignition wires which will be routed per correct firing order for the 427 engine.  A second engine identical to this one will be built for the 1963 Ford F-100 XL.

Ritchey 427 2 (800x529).jpg

Ritchey 427 3 (800x600).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

You have to have the carbs backwards on the FE when you have dual carbs, otherwise you will not have any room for the distributor.
The 4160 carbs have the metering block on the premium side and not on the secondary so the carbs are shorter if you turn them so the secondary ports points forward, Ford did a special throttle bell crank and axle to switch sides wich goes between the first and second carb to get it to work.
A friend of mine put this setup on his 1964 390 Galaxie last winter.

Edited by Force