Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Ford Custom Convertible

Phildaupho

I assembled this ’41 Ford Custom Convertible while on vacation but I started building it a number of years ago before the Revell ’48 Ford Custom Coupe was released. I like the look of the ’41 Ford front end and needed the woody body from the AMT kit for another project so the ’48 became a ’41. The chopped Carson top that came with the kit was smoothed reminiscent of the steel lift-off roof on the Ohanesian/Westergard/Bertolucci ’40 Ford convertible sedan. Housings for both the headlights and taillights were frenched and the fenders molded to the body.

In order to get the car as low as possible, the body was channelled about 4 scale inches. Both front and rear suspension cross members were replaced with flatter ones to gain additional lowering.

The Sombrero hubcaps came from the Revell ’49 Mercury while the fenders skirts are from Replicas and Miniatures. I cannot remember where I sourced the Desoto bumpers. The engine is the stock flathead. I will have to wait until I get home to find an air cleaner that will fit under the hood.

The paint, which I did have untypical problems with, is Testor’s rattle can Honduras Maroon lacquer topped with Testor’s lacquer clear. The interior is Testor’s leather.

That is a great looking Kustom. Your build looks like the early post war customs you used to see in the "little pages".  

Thanks everyone. I have always had a fondness for customs since I first discovered there were cars other than stock. I devoured "little pages" mags that I bought  super cheap at a used book and magazine shop.