Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Porsche 914+ Rat 914 added 28th Sept.

PatW

Bought from ebay UK as an 'already started' in a fancy box!

photo3-th.jpg

A shade worn! plus other trashed parts of another 914 with the ordinary windscreen,and roof which I'll try and piece together.

This one needed quite a bit of refurb, funny brushed paint of different colours,two piece tyres with hard glue residue but still in pieces. Any way this is the result, decals from the spares box and homemade rollbar set up made from sprue and shaped with a tea light candle.

photo2-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

I'll park it at the Backstreet Garage and put in Dioramas.

Edited by PatW

Well thanks guys! I like to do a bit of rescue now and then, very satisfying, with these as inspiration...........

photo2-th.jpg

and...................

photo1-th.jpg

This is a model featured on youtube of  the 914 kit being built!

Edited by PatW

Nice job Pat!

That kit reminds me of a story.

I have told stories on this board about being an American military dependent in Europe, and my pursuit of getting American models while there. I yearned to be back in the USA where model kits were sold everywhere.  When we finally returned in 1973,  we were staying with my grandparents in Jersey City, New Jersey.  I had remembered that the Two Guys From Harrison department store had a great hobby department, and it was within walking distance (okay a fairly long walk) from their house.  The first chance I got I bee lined for that store. When I got there it was like the Robin Williams / Moscow on the Hudson  coffee in the supermarket scene.  There I was in a store with an entire wall of car models!  Everything I could ever want. American muscle cars I yearned after, customs, hot rods...  And what did I buy?   That silly Porsche 914!   The original release with the yellow car on the box.  And ya know, I still have that kit unbuilt in my stash!

Beautiful!!!!, never heard of this version of the kit, I wanna just keep looking at it!!

Thanks Dann, yes a popular car here since the 70's. The first mid-engined Porsche, but because it was mainly Beetle parts, the factory named it the 'VW-Porsche 914' the sales were dismal although when you see a Porsche Owners Club meeting there are stacks of them and Porsche 911 owners gravitate towards them! 

Nice job Pat!

That kit reminds me of a story.

I have told stories on this board about being an American military dependent in Europe, and my pursuit of getting American models while there. I yearned to be back in the USA where model kits were sold everywhere.  When we finally returned in 1973,  we were staying with my grandparents in Jersey City, New Jersey.  I had remembered that the Two Guys From Harrison department store had a great hobby department, and it was within walking distance (okay a fairly long walk) from their house.  The first chance I got I bee lined for that store. When I got there it was like the Robin Williams / Moscow on the Hudson  coffee in the supermarket scene.  There I was in a store with an entire wall of car models!  Everything I could ever want. American muscle cars I yearned after, customs, hot rods...  And what did I buy?   That silly Porsche 914!   The original release with the yellow car on the box.  And ya know, I still have that kit unbuilt in my stash!

Thanks for your story Tom. Coming home to a model shop full of kits must be amazing! We don't have many shops like that anymore here in the UK. It can be a difficult kit to build because of having to leave the rear bumper body work to the last minute and trying to stretch the sides to get the body over the edge of the chassis and then stretching it again to get the engine cover and rear lid hinges into place, very tense for both the kit and the builder. But I have one of the new releases being delivered today anyway!

Cheers Chris.  This was built from broken bits ( 3 bits of body and 2 bits of chassis) in the 'already started' box/kit when I bought it, after finishing this one. Finding some BBS rims/tyres in the spares lowers the car from a standard 15" to 13" rims.

photo4-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

• 9 months later...

I just picked up this kit, from HobbyLobby on clearance. I paid $7.49 for it, and after opening it up and Groking it, I can see that I over paid, LOL

Just amazing how much flash there is on my copy. At least the Tires(aren't two pieces) and Decals are decent. As far as I can tell, this looks to be a bear of a kit to build. Any tips on getting the final assemblies together? Pat mentioned that lining up all the rear end bits can be a real challenge. I want to try to throw this kit together, at least as much as that can be done. Seems like to only real options to build it as the SCCA Racer that is the second build option. Getting the windscreen and top to fit, look like more trouble than it's worth.

39 minutes ago, alexis said:

I just picked up this kit, from HobbyLobby on clearance. I paid $7.49 for it, and after opening it up and Groking it, I can see that I over paid, LOL

Just amazing how much flash there is on my copy. At least the Tires(aren't two pieces) and Decals are decent. As far as I can tell, this looks to be a bear of a kit to build. Any tips on getting the final assemblies together? Pat mentioned that lining up all the rear end bits can be a real challenge. I want to try to throw this kit together, at least as much as that can be done. Seems like to only real options to build it as the SCCA Racer that is the second build option. Getting the windscreen and top to fit, look like more trouble than it's worth.

Here is my build of the kit that may help.

After building the Monogram/Revell Porsche I came to the conclusion that it is one of the most poorly engineered kits that Monogram have ever done.. It tookj me over a year to finish  because I kept putting it back in the box rather then throwing it against the wall. I decided that this was war and the kit was not going to win. To get everything to fit I basically turned it into a snap kit by gluing the front & back clips to the body then glued both the trunk and the engine compartment lids down (there's not much engine to see anyway). I cut the chassis in half to get it to fit , did it right behind the interior and reconnecting the two halves once they were in place didn't prove too difficult. I cut off the quarter windows from the windshielf and glued them on separate (I was doing my car stock) and after sanding I rechromed  the bumpers in Alclad. One of the real car's options was body coloured bumpers but I wanted a little bling. I decided that the wheels and tirers looked to small so replaced both from my parts box.  Flash there was aplenty, small parts needed a lot of sanding to fit so I did create a lot of dust during the build. The model now sits at the back of the display cabinet so no one will see it, this is punishment for having given me so much trouble. So Pat ypu've done a fine job of turning your "sows ear into a silk purse".