Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine in Ford LTL 9000?

I have the Ford LTL 9000 truck from italeri that i am going to build sometime.
What engines were used in them? the one in the kit is the standard cummins 6cylinder that i think is a little boring (because every one of their us truck have them)

I was thinking of replacing it with the auslowe cat 3406 engine or the revell cat 3408.
Was any of those engines ever used in that truck?
Did ford use the Detroit v8:s in the LTL trucks or they did use v8:s from someone else?
If i go with the 3406 what trans did they use or i can take the one from the kit and use it?

From what I've been able to find out, the Cat 3406C, Cummins N14, or Detroit Diesel Series60 would be appropriate.  The Detroit V8's & Caterpillar 3408 are too "old" for the Ford LTL9000.  Stick with the 3406.

I'm not familiar with the transmission that's in the kit, but the "standard" transmission was a 9-speed direct.

Thanks.
Cat 3406 it is then.
I might use the roadranger trans from auslowe, its probably not right but the one in the kit is probably also wrong.
Besides that, no one is going to look under it most of those who have looked at my models have only looked at the outside because they are afraid to break anything if they touch them.

The engine in the Italeri Ford LTL 9000 is actually a pre electronic control Cummins NTC 400.  Although the Cummins NTC 400 was an option in the early LTL9000, the Italeri Ford LTL 9000 kit represents the latter, post 1993 Aero Force series of Ford heavy highway trucks and would have had the Cummins Big Cam IV series of Cummins engines (M11, N14, etc).  Caterpillar diesels were popular options for the newer LTL9000 (3176, 3406, 3406E, etc).  Even the Detroit Diesel 60 Mark 1 was an available option on newer Ford LTL9000 (the Italeri Peterbilt Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines represent the Mark 2).  

The transmission in the kit is an Eaton Fuller 13 speed and would have been an option on the Ford LTL9000.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but depending on what kind of build you are wanting to build, I would assume that this truck would have been offered as a glider. Though it unlikely, the possibility of a glider finding itself with a 3408 is possible, especially in these parts of the woods. There was an owner operator here about 10 years ago or so that bought a new W900 glider and managed to put a non-computerized 3406 in it.

If you're wanting to represent a specific company, you may attempt to find out what kind of engines they ran. If you're wanting to build a truck finished on the assembly line, refer to the great advise already given. If you're wanting to be different, the sky is the limit.

If you really want to get technical, the Caterpillar 3406 engine in the Revell snap kits is a 3406B. The second generation of the 3406 which was prominent n the 1980s. The Italeri Ford LTL9000 would have a 3406C or a 3406E. The 3408 eight cylinder would have not passed late 1990s emissions requirements for highway trucks. Any of the rare Clint Freeman resin 3406E, Detroit Diesel Series 60 Mark 1 or Cummins N14 and L10 would be period correct for the Italeri Ford kits.

To put another wrench in the mix, does that kit have a Ford style chassis under it. Since the Aeromax I had from them sure didn't.

No, it has the Freightliner chassis. All of the Italeri Ford and Western Star kits have it- I think the Mack Superliner lookalike (US Power Truck?) has it as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The engine in the Italeri Ford LTL 9000 is actually a pre electronic control Cummins NTC 400.  Although the Cummins NTC 400 was an option in the early LTL9000, the Italeri Ford LTL 9000 kit represents the latter, post 1993 Aero Force series of Ford heavy highway trucks and would have had the Cummins Big Cam IV series of Cummins engines (M11, N14, etc).  Caterpillar diesels were popular options for the newer LTL9000 (3176, 3406, 3406E, etc).  Even the Detroit Diesel 60 Mark 1 was an available option on newer Ford LTL9000 (the Italeri Peterbilt Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines represent the Mark 2).  

The transmission in the kit is an Eaton Fuller 13 speed and would have been an option on the Ford LTL9000.

If you really want to get technical, the Caterpillar 3406 engine in the Revell snap kits is a 3406B. The second generation of the 3406 which was prominent n the 1980s. The Italeri Ford LTL9000 would have a 3406C or a 3406E. The 3408 eight cylinder would have not passed late 1990s emissions requirements for highway trucks. Any of the rare Clint Freeman resin 3406E, Detroit Diesel Series 60 Mark 1 or Cummins N14 and L10 would be period correct for the Italeri Ford kits.

Actually, if Pierre was referring to this kit

HPIM1625.thumb.JPG.63cbae4a38636760034d4

or the newer wrecker version, this is way before the Aeromax came to be and could be anywhere from a late 70s to 80s era truck before electronic engines. 

As Brian mentioned earlier, a glider could use any type of power unit you would wish to put under the hood Pierre, as I have toyed around with a few different possibilities for mine. 

Detroit Series 60 from the Italeri Petes

HPIM2901.thumb.JPG.adfc00a93a50109725837 

Cat 3406 from the Revell Pete 359 snaps

HPIM4784.thumb.JPG.777196124e4f2b91a29d3

Or for the wild and crazy, the Detroit 12V71T from the AMT Super Boss!

59db260700fca_20170215_0048081.thumb.jpg