Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decided to start building for the first time!

BodyShopKid

Hey all! I'm a 37 year old wife and mom, but I'm also an artist and I love miniatures. I grew up around modelmakers. My dad, brothers, uncles and cousins would build all year and have show offs at family reunions, sometimes races. I was intrigued by them but didn't participate in building. 

My my dad has always been a body shop owner (hence the username), and I spent much of my time after school in the shop. Of course being a kid I was more concerned with going outside to ride my bike or whine about going home. I did small chores around the shop and my poor dad, in vain, tried to teach me how to do basic auto repair, but nothing stuck. 

as I got older, I saw how much he dedicated his passion to his craft. It is a way to make a living for sure but his side projects are what he really works for. People come from states away by word of mouth to have him do custom work on show cars, and it is lucrative for him but he is only able to take on a few projects a year. 

My dream vehicle is a real 70 or 71 chevy c-10 swb. I would like to get one before it's too late and have him help me work on it. Or rather show me how to work on it. In the meantime, I've started building models as a way to connect with him. He has even sent me paint he's mixed from paint chips for the accurate colors! I can't wait to finish this 66 (attached pictures of my documenting the process that I send to him) I have started three times now. Each time I learn something new and finally (hopefully) bought the last kit so I can make something in proud to show my dad. 

I look forward to learning more about this art and tips from others who have more experience and like to share knowledge. 

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

Welcome to the Forum, caps intended.

You sure have glue in your blood, and body putty too it seems. That's a very clean start you show!

I can't get over your mention of Family Show Offs ... what Thanksgivings you must have!!

To this day, among my favorite weird smells is Bondo and masking tape. 

And yes, between the Show Offs (Which is what they were called), and football, and the FOOD, holidays were not boring. My dad is one of ten kids, so you can imagine what it was like when they all got together. 

Here is a picture of my dad when he was a teenager. I cleaned up the original in photoshop, because it was faded and scratched, and one of his personal projects, called the Pink Panther. 

250471_10150230949544113_4731590_n.jpg

pinkpanther.jpg

Edited by BodyShopKid

there are a lot of interesting mods on that truck... aside from what has already been mentioned.

custom center console using gauge cluster assembly

tail lights mounted on rear fenders

new rear bumper, not sure where it's from but it has a "Ford flavor" to it

tailgate latches are upgraded

I see hint of a hood scoop...

still trying to decide if the "Chevrolet" on the tailgate is just paint or highlighted metal stamping.... I know a guy who is that good at paint.

Is the hood reverse hinged?

As already stated, you have an excellent start on the pickup you've posted, this Forum has an amazing wealth of information, tips and tutorials.

Please remember to check threads that don't always seem to pertain to your current project, there are treasures hidden all over the forum and you may find a tip that will solve a problem you're having "in the most unexpected place".

there are a lot of interesting mods on that truck... aside from what has already been mentioned.

custom center console using gauge cluster assembly

tail lights mounted on rear fenders

new rear bumper, not sure where it's from but it has a "Ford flavor" to it

tailgate latches are upgraded

I see hint of a hood scoop...

still trying to decide if the "Chevrolet" on the tailgate is just paint or highlighted metal stamping.... I know a guy who is that good at paint.

Is the hood reverse hinged?

As already stated, you have an excellent start on the pickup you've posted, this Forum has an amazing wealth of information, tips and tutorials.

Please remember to check threads that don't always seem to pertain to your current project, there are treasures hidden all over the forum and you may find a tip that will solve a problem you're having "in the most unexpected place".

It is reversed hinged. I don't know the detail on the tailgate, I'll see if I can find a better picture of it.  

Thank you so much for the kind words and welcome!