Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Lindburgs Color Me Gone as the Hemi Honker done

Johnt671

This is the real car in the second picture. Started the Hemi. I like them because they are so easy to wire. I may even try doing the fuel lines maybe. The chassis is almost done. The last picture is my first look at the stance.

20170923_140346[1].jpg

20170918_182757[1].jpg

20170923_140452[1].jpg

20170924_125645[1].jpg

Edited by Johnt671

Hey John671,

I'm diggin' the "Hemi Honker". Not only am I a fan of building models, but I make my living building engines, and I can tell you the Chrysler Hemi, ( both early and late ) are engines that impress me. Here at work, we received a greasy old 426 Hemi pulled out of a running Challenger a customer had. The customer sold the car, and the new owner wanted to know what kind of power it had. We put the engine on our dyno, and it put out more than the factory rated it at , the factory rating was 425 hp, unmolested it bested that figure. Of course, the looks of the thing doesn't hurt either. 

Your build so far looks great. Looking forward to seeing the complete car.

Thanks for the comments and advise. I'm changing the heads around now. It's one of the few times the glue really stuck for some reason.

I haven't had the chance to work on it much. My wife went in the hospital for surgery last week. I did have to change the stance some because the front was to low looking at the real car pictures. When I reversed the front wheels it was to high, so I started raising the back up some to balance it out. Here's a picture.

20170927_142001[1].jpg

One of my favorite kits ( I have maybe 2 dozen of them stashed away in various liverys.

Just an fyi. the top moulding of the grille is supposed to be attach the leading edge of the hood.

64Faubel.JPG

It is a nice kit. I also have the Ramchargers version of it. So far it's going together great. Yours came out nice.

Hey John671,

I'm diggin' the "Hemi Honker". Not only am I a fan of building models, but I make my living building engines, and I can tell you the Chrysler Hemi, ( both early and late ) are engines that impress me. Here at work, we received a greasy old 426 Hemi pulled out of a running Challenger a customer had. The customer sold the car, and the new owner wanted to know what kind of power it had. We put the engine on our dyno, and it put out more than the factory rated it at , the factory rating was 425 hp, unmolested it bested that figure. Of course, the looks of the thing doesn't hurt either. 

Your build so far looks great. Looking forward to seeing the complete car.

I never had one, but saw some a stop lights in My 66 Impala SS 396 four speed and it never worked out well for me.

I started making the fuel block out of a scrap piece. I drilled through a scrap piece of sprue then sanded it somewhat square. I can't get a good picture of the finished piece, but it will show up when I put on the motor. It's a little too big but it's the smallest I could do with my fingers. I also found a pair of seats close to the real cars seat and I'm making mounts to get them a little higher.

20171006_130302[1].jpg

20171006_165227[1].jpg

The Hemi is done and ready to go in. The fuel splitter is way to big. but considering I made it from the piece of sprue in the earlier picture and my fat fingers, it's OK. I should have left the stance alone because by changing the front kingpins the front came up too far. I had to raise the rear up to make it a little better.

20171008_140603[1].jpg

20171008_110927[1].jpg

20171008_110942[1].jpg

20171008_140603[1].jpg

Ps, mind if I ask why your going with such a high back seat.

The actual car had a low back seat like the kit has

http://www.slotcar-fever.com/prodimages/MM-028.jpg

I tried to do some research and found a lot of pictures under Yahoo pictures, but they are a mix of other Dodges I found some of a red stripped down interiors but there is no way to be sure they are the Honker. I did paint a pair of low backed buckets but they were wider than the pictured seats. I think I'll go back to them to keep the build as close as I can the the real one as my abilities allow.

I appreciate your help with this.  Do these look better?

20171010_174437[1].jpg

Edited by Johnt671

• 2 weeks later...

Really like what you did to the stance. I've got 3 Color Me Gone kits and 3 other '64 Dodge 330 kits in my stash. My plans are to build them all as either gassers or street muscle.

I'll be following along with this build to pick up some pointers. Looking real good so far.

The Lindgerg 64 Dodge kits have several issues.

Ride height is way too low, motor is way too far forward and too far away from firewall, and the front tires are too small for the fenderwells.

John, good you raised it up so the rear rims are completely visible.  The hemi motor makes up for the space to the firewall, still though a tad too far away.

I saw on a Sox and Martin S/S 'Cuda model from a member (I think his name here is Jesse, I'll look it up) and he solved the front tire problem with just adding a big front tire from a 1:24 model, if I remember correctly.  Great tip!  The tire looked absolutely correct on his model.

My opinion, don't worry about the seats, good you chose a model that was not high backed, they came later.  Those you show were from a 64 Plym Sport Fury, or the similar Dodge model from that period.  The seats will be hardly visible when the car is finished.

I'm nuts about this period of factory drag racing, all of them were just cool.  Fords, Mercs, and Mopars were killers.  Love them all.