Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pink Plymouth Duster

justanothermopar

Here some pictures of a recently finished build. The small brother of the big Mopars, 71 Plymouth Duster. Not really my favorites but anyway these cars are interesting and always wanted one in my shelves. Should not be missed in a Mopar collection.

That one is an out of the box build; just I made the rear a bit higher and changed the wiper motor with one of the Chargers I built. Wheels came from Scenes Unlimited, tires from the parts box. I didn’t use the rear spoiler and therefor closed the holes. Obviously I could have done that better. But let’s just imagine somebody pushed his elbows onto the trunk lid.

The Modelmaster Panther Pink is a very cool color and so different with changing light conditions. Thanks to a good friend who travelled to the U.S. I was able to get the spray can. Unfortunately the color was showing some reaction with the clear coat I used and it somehow became flaky under the clear coat. But with polishing the whole thing it went more or less OK.

In total it’s a great kit, very detailed, very easy to build. Due to my skills and a little impatience the build is having surely some lacks, anyway I like the result. Hope you, too.

P1590416x.thumb.jpg.aa095d5daa5bea3986f9P1590418x.thumb.jpg.8be2cbe8ff8f979a9673P1590421x.thumb.jpg.5da7166dcb486a3496c8P1590422x.thumb.jpg.8ae6cb922bc77029fba6P1590424x.thumb.jpg.df98bc7ca49ecb518de1P1590425x.thumb.jpg.e819aa502c28fc4d2fbc

Great looking build. The wheels are period perfect for the early '70's.  A note on the mirrors. The easiest way to know which side the mirrors should be mounted. The mirrors are offset to one side of the support arm. The greatest offset would be away from the car. What the designers were trying to do is to give the driver the greatest field of vision away from the sides of the vehicle, so they had the side of the mirror closest to the body would be the closest to the upright support.   

Looks nice!

Reminds me of when I was in high school.

My dad was looking for a second car for me to drive when I was 16 & we stumbled across a very nice looking '71 Dodge demon in "Panther Pink" with a white interior & stripe, sitting in a used car lot.

It was looking like a go until we started it up & my father heard a lifter tick.

I was very disappointed to end up with a green '72 Plymouth Fury 4 door sedan! :(

Steve

• 2 weeks later...