Model Cars Magazine Forum

rubber weather stripping

I made a solution to replicate the look of weather stripping around windows by placing black pinstriping tape on wax paper, tracing the shape, and using a blade to cut out the curves. A little dot of glue on the corners where the tape meets keeps it from coming apart and it peels off of the wax paper great. 

However, this was probably not the best way to do this. Is there anything that can be used to make weather stripping? I tried a bead of thick matte black paint around but my hand isn't steady enough yet. I got uneven bumps as I was trailing across. I practiced on a scrap thankfully. 

I think I have heard of fine point Sharpies being used...

You could put some tape over the "glass", then hold it in place while you run a Sharpie around the window frame to get the weather strip "look", testing on an old body maybe the best way to go.

Interesting idea. I'd never considered using striping tape for representing weatherstrip, but it makes sense. It's very thin material, and usually has high quality adhesive.

I've got a lot of it lying around (I have been in and out of the body-shop biz for the last 40 years myself), so I'll have to give it a try.

Another idea occurs to me...one thing that's usually conspicuously absent on opening panels like doors and decklids is any representation of weatherstrip. A fine slice of black striping tape could be very effective.