Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's has big car kit sale - see attached ad.

Have the day off and the wife said " If you're near Ollie's, stop in and get some dishwasher soap, that last box you bought lasted a long time". Well, I listened and went in there and much to my surprise, they had the dishwasher soap AND some new model kits! The only Lindberg kits I saw were some Crown Vic police cars, but they did have the one pictured in the ad above as well as some AMT 63 Corvettes, 2013 Camaros and others that escape me now. I did grab one of the 63 Vettes and passed on the others. I did manage to stop at the Hobby Lobby next door and score a 83 Camaro kit and with my 40% off it was $18.00. The cashier remarked "They sure have gone up in price over the years! I remember when they were less than $3.00." and my response was "So do I!"

It would be interesting to know what week that flyer is for. The latest I've been sent by Ollies is August 31. Ollies is a a bit weird. If its available for sale on let's say September 29, some stores will stock the shelfs as soon as they get the shipments in while others will wait until the night before or the morning of the 29th. It will be interesting to see what pops up this time. As for the Jawbreaker, did this reissue have pad printed tires?

It would be interesting to know what week that flyer is for. The latest I've been sent by Ollies is August 31. Ollies is a a bit weird. If its available for sale on let's say September 29, some stores will stock the shelfs as soon as they get the shipments in while others will wait until the night before or the morning of the 29th. It will be interesting to see what pops up this time. As for the Jawbreaker, did this reissue have pad printed tires?

This is also weird: I'm in "Ollie's Army" and on their e-mail list.  But I didn't get that flyer in e-mail yet, either.  Got one a few days ago, but it was pushing boring stuff like bed sheets and towels. I wonder if this is a regional thing, and not all stores will get the models?  I might run down there tomorrow or Wed.  At the same time I can see if the nearby Hobby Lobby has re-stocked yet. 

Over in Trading Post, I'm thinking about starting an "Ollie's Trade" thread.  Where those of us who didn't get the good stuff in the last sale can trade other kits we found at Ollie's.  

Went to the one on Airport Road in Allentown, Pa. Had some Lindbergs and Revells left over from last time: Revell '94 Mustang, '32 Ford Finkwagon, Porsche Boxster, Lindberg S/S Dodges, Bugatti, Mercedes SSK roadster. This is what they had new: AMT '25 T Fruit Wagon, '53 Corvette, '63 Corvette, Carl Casper Cosmic Dragster thing, Jawbreaker Dragster, weird VW dune buggy thing......The one on Tilghman St had some Lindberg and Revell left over stuff from last time. New stuff : '53 Corvette,Jawbreaker dragster, Carl Casper Cosmic thing, Weird VW dune buggy thing and even weirder Pirahna show car. 

I got a '25 T, a '63 Corvette and a Jawbreaker..... I will go back in a day or two to see if they add anything ......   

Woo-hoo!  Went to Ollie's in Anderson, SC today (Fri. 9/29) and they had a few of those new kits!  Even though our area did not get the circular advertising models.  This store had the Revell VW Rabbit and AMT "Nestle" '23 Model T Delivery Van.  Didn't see anything else new.  Lots of Lindberg 64 Dodge Mavericks, but they always have those. 

But this sounds good - I asked the checker if they were getting any more kits.  She said, "Probably. Our stockroom is stacked to the ceiling with pallets full of boxes that just came in.  They're all marked "TOYS," since we're getting ready for Christmas."  Told her I'd be happy to help them inventory all those boxes, but she didn't fall for it... 

Also stopped at Hobby Lobby today.  It had the Foose '53 Cad and a couple of other new ones.  No '66 Suburban yet, but the slot is marked for it.  Asked the lady straightening up the model shelves when the Suburban is expected.  She said probably next week, they're expecting more models then.

I stopped at the Ollie's in Florence, KY tonight and found the 2013 Camaro and also grabbed another '25 Fruit Truck. They also had the Piranha Spy Car, which I don't think anyone else has come across yet. They only had about 9 of the spy car, maybe 3 of the fruit trucks, and 3-4 of the '23 T truck. There were plenty of Camaros, Tee Vee buggies, and Jawbreaker dragsters, as well as the Lindberg police car. I have two other Ollie's in Cincinnati to still check out.

Edited by DanR

Yeah, big sale! The one near me had four, counted them, four model T kits! That's it! Either someone came in and scarfed up everything early to flip on eBay or this was all they had to begin with. Didn't bother to ask because there was really nothing I could live without.?

Mine actually had some of the Good Stuff, for a change. Got two '63 Vettes, two TV buggies (who knows when we'll ever see those again), and a Fruit Wagon T, always a parts mine. Forgot to get a Jawbreaker! Oh well, gives me an excuse to go back next week. Maybe they'll have the Piranhas then.