Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ride height on AMT '58 Impala

I'm preparing to start building the AMT '58 Impala Coupe. It will be a showroom stock build. I have read over the instruction sheet a couple of times and each time noticed that this kit includes the ability to change ride height via a 3 holed "king pin" piece. I'm wondering if anybody that has built this kit could tell me if using the "stock" position will result in the car having the correct stance. Since this is going to be my first build after around 50 years or so I'd like to avoid having to do any disassembly if I could. I'd like to pin it right the first time.

Without having one of them right in front of me, my guess would be to go with the stock height as stated in the instructions.

Usually the "highest" hole will be for the lowered version & the middle one for stock.

My advice would be to just play with them a bit until it looks right.

I've built a few old annual kits that have 4 different holes for ride height.

With no instructions in most cases, you just have to try them out until you get the height that you want.

Steve

Over the last 30 years or so I've built two of them.  I used the middle pin hole for the stock ride height and was satisfied with the result.  

If you absolutely need to verify the ride height, you could assemble the front and rear suspension components with white glue, set the tires on their respective pins/axles, then put the interior bucket and chassis into the body.    

Thanks, Monty. Considering this is my very first build after getting back into the hobby, I was hoping to avoid doing any type of test fitting to determine if the middle holes were OK. I think I'll just use the middle holes and if it turns out for some reason I'm not happy with the stance, I'll know better on the next kit I build. If you think it looked OK, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I just didn't want to end up with a finished build where either end was way too high or low.