Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge “Country Charger” R/T by round2

Nick Notarangelo

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Saw this in a store yesterday, Weirdness to a new level. :blink: From the side panel

MPC-R2-878-3.jpg

Hmmm...that buildup actually looks dark blue, while the illustration on the box looks black. 

I ended up cracking and buying one of these. Yes, it has it’s shortcomings, but I still like this kit. I just wish they would find the correct hood and grille inserts one day. 

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

What does this include for wheels and tires?

The same old MPC Goodyears and so-so Vector wheels that have been in every other Dukes issue, along with the nice new Torq Thrusts that were put in the recent ‘69 Cuda and ‘67 Charger kits.

Just now, CapSat 6 said:

The same old MPC Goodyears and so-so Vector wheels that have been in every other Dukes issue, along with the nice new Torq Thrusts that were put in the recent ‘69 Cuda and ‘67 Charger kits.

Thanks, I was looking for 70's era Van type wheels, guess I'll look elsewhere then.

1 minute ago, Joe Handley said:

Thanks, I was looking for 70's era Van type wheels, guess I'll look elsewhere then.

No problem! The Vectors could serve as ‘70’s Van Wheels, but maybe better ones could be found in MPC’s recent ‘67 and ‘72 GTO’s- those turbo mags are maybe more suited to custom vans.

8 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

No problem! The Vectors could serve as ‘70’s Van Wheels, but maybe better ones could be found in MPC’s recent ‘67 and ‘72 GTO’s- those turbo mags are maybe more suited to custom vans.

I've been thinking about the S&H Torino as one source, as well as looking for some of the MRC MuscleCar big and little sets to use on the "That 70's Van" kit that may get built for my club's 2018 build contest.......which is to build something from the year of your birth......  Luckily I have 2 of the flat box '76 Gremlins and the 3 different 70's Chevy Van kits are of the pre '78 models, which basically are the same from I think '71-'77!

It seems that big and little Cragars and “Turbo” style mags seemed to be the most common to be used on vans back then. The MPC GTO kits have nice “Turbo” style mags. I would not be surprised if they show up at model swap meets reasonably from time to time, but to be honest, I haven’t really been looking for them lately.

One thing that I always try to remember is that running a model company is a lot harder than me as an armchair CEO thinks. I do hate seeing certain kits reissued over and over, but I also understand that the companies see a dwindling pool of customers and they have to do what is most cost-effective. With licensing and tooling costs being what they are,  I'm sure it is hard to find the balance between the need and desire to put out exciting new tools or retooled old kits and the need to move product as cheaply as possible.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:30 PM, Classicgas said:

PC bs has gone too far.:angry:

No, this about licensing from Warner Brothers, period. Was it "PC bs" when Revell did something very similar with the ProModeler '69 Dodge Charger R/T kit over twenty years ago?

No, "bs" is when a person publicly lashes out at a forum owner, has his membership deleted, then sneaks back in a few months later under a new name.  That is B.S.

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I don't recal Revell marketing a Dukes kit then removing the decals, plus Casey, I was not aware when I said that that there was a licensing issue.

The original issue had a Confederate Flag on the decal sheet for those so inclined. The reason for the General Lee licensed kit to be replaced with this is that after Dylan Roof shot and killed all of those parishoners, including South Caroline State Senator  Clementa C. Pinckney at the The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church and his Facebook showed him branding guns, that flag, racist statements, ect prior to his murders and giving a good window into why he did what he did.  Warner Brothers pulled the licensing for newly produced Dukes of Hazard merchandise after the first of 2016, because of the show's connection to the flag, even though it was used under a different light through out the run of the show and round 2 did do a good job of not making it obvious on any GL merch. Basically, don't blame the PC Police, blame Roof for his actions that had consequences that reached much further and in different ways than he expected.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:10 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Is there a person alive - who's young enough to have seen the show enough - who HASN'T built a General Lee yet?

Uh no.

You can debate the PC of Warner Bros no longer licensing property from the Dukes of Hazard, but can we all stop treating it like it's some piece of historical National TV treasure.

I got a kick out of it when it was on tv, but now it"s a bore, and a waste of some perfectly good Mopars.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:21 AM, Joe Handley said:

The original issue had a Confederate Flag on the decal sheet for those so inclined. The reason for the General Lee licensed kit to be replaced with this is that after Dylan Roof shot and killed all of those parishoners, including South Caroline State Senator  Clementa C. Pinckney at the The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church and his Facebook showed him branding guns, that flag, racist statements, ect prior to his murders and giving a good window into why he did what he did.  Warner Brothers pulled the licensing for newly produced Dukes of Hazard merchandise after the first of 2016, because of the show's connection to the flag, even though it was used under a different light through out the run of the show and round 2 did do a good job of not making it obvious on any GL merch. Basically, don't blame the PC Police, blame Roof for his actions that had consequences that reached much further and in different ways than he expected.

The DOH kit was originally marketed by MPC, not Revellogram, even though their 69 Charger had that ridiculous flag in it too.

It's a shame that Dylan Roof will not get the same treatment that he did to those innocent people.

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The DOH kit was originally marketed by MPC, not Revellogram, even though their 69 Charger had that ridiculous flag in it too.

It's a shame that Dylan Roof will not get the same treatment that he did to those innocent people.

It wasn't intended t be a Lee kit, but the original issue did have the flag on the decal sheet and the instructions showed that it was aupposed to be out widthwise across the trunk lid.

13 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Like to see it on the model :lol:

Not sure what would be more interesting, the Anti-Flag comments, Pro Flag comments, the "You put the flag in the wrong place, and painted the car the wrong color!!!" comments or the "But that's not the General Lee?!?!?!" comments ......

And as I finished that edit, Extreme Lee owner Kenny Wayne Shepard came on the radio......odd timing there:blink::lol:

Edited by Joe Handley

Some people just don't get it.

Many times showing mine I make an off handed remark when some one comments on how it turned out.

"Yeah, not a lot of trouble, just had a tough time getttin' the flag off the roof.":blink:

:lol: I'm the second owner. Got it from my Mother In Law, thanks Mom.

20170203_172719.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers