Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima MGB rubber bumper

cobraman

First model I have built since I quit building a few months ago . My friend bought one of these cars at a estate sale . After a search I finally found a reasonably priced example of this model . What you might expect from a curbside kit . Not bad and I think the wire wheels are done nicely . Painted it with Duplicolor Flame Red which looked like a close match . Built stock except for the luggage rack that I bought on the bay since the kit does not come with one . Ignore the wires if you can , they are to hold it in the case when I get one . Could be better but I guess my skills are not as good as they once were , not that they were ever great !

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Very nice. Two questions, though. Did you modify the ride height? Can I see a profile picture at a lower height, maybe door handle level? I'm struggling with my MGB. It's mostly done, but I'm building the chrome bumper version, and wondering if I should lower the ride height.

Very nice. Two questions, though. Did you modify the ride height? Can I see a profile picture at a lower height, maybe door handle level? I'm struggling with my MGB. It's mostly done, but I'm building the chrome bumper version, and wondering if I should lower the ride height.

The chrome bumper MGBs rides 1-1/2 inches lower than the rubber bumper models. The ride height was raised to meed federal bumper standards. 

Edited by Dave Ambrose

Thanks for the comments fellows. As for ride height, it is stock from the kit. Now with the real cars the ride height on the rubber bumper cars were 2 inches higher to meet safety standards.

The chrome bumper MGBs rides 1-1/2 inches lower than the rubber bumper models. The ride height was raised to meed federal bumper standards. 

^^ this is true, for North American spec MGBs '75 and newer. They jacked them up to meet North American bumper height requirements. 

I had an '80 MGB for almost a decade. While I would have liked an earlier chrome bumper car, it worked out- the electronics on the last few model years were less problematic. From the looks of the Aoshima kit, that isn't a North American spec MGB (only two windshield wipers, lower ride height, RHD).

Edited by gman

Exactly. The question was basically at which height does the kit ride? Low, high, or in-between? There's no indication in the instructions of which height, nor any way to adjust it. Not that adjustment would be hard, it's just not described.

Thanks guys . Good luck finding a cheap one but they can be had . After about a two month search and only finding one on the bay for 60.00 plus 15.00 shipping I saw this one for a buy it now for 25 dollars with a ship of around 7 bucks. Wrong side drive but I heard there is one with an option for both .