Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Model

ranma

Wow... I never knew such a thing existed! Great build up here:

https://culttvman.com/main/michael-danz-chitty-chitty-bang-bang/

Of course, you could also build the original illustrated book version:

https://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2015/feb/22/chitty-chitty-bang-bang-50th-anniversary-ian-fleming-john-burningham

which would  involve cutting up several Bentleys in your scale of choice: 1.32, 1/24 or 1/12.

Or even the actual Zborowski Chitty Chitty Bang Bang racing cars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitty_Bang_Bang

Just need a big Mercedes chassis and a WW1 vintage aero engine...

It would be nice to see the movie car back, though...

best,

M.

I have the Aurora kit that was issued back in 68/69  (car has been built) Since Moebius has some of the Aurora kit's I was hoping  that the molds for it were still around. So one could update the tires from plastic to "rubber" , And also add an engine. Opening the hood to see a engine.

I have that kit.  Back in the days when the Toledo Toy Show was still a big event,  I was killing time until we left on the second day by going through the vendors for the third or fourth time.  I noticed one vendor had his kits stacked two deep so the bottom ones on the back row were not visible.  I moved the front row and the very bottom kit on the back row was Chitty!  This was a military kit vendor so he didn't know what he had.  The box was all warped like it was wet and inside was a half built unpainted kit.  All the parts were of trees and rolling around in the damaged box.  He said it wasn't complete and wanted $10.  That was worth it even for a parts kit!   When I got it home I did inventory and the only part missing was the gas cap!  Amazing that this kit sat there the entire event!

IF someone had this tooling complete, it's marginal if it's worth reissuing.  It's a car from a 50 year old movie, and there still would be licensing to pay.  It certainly isn't worth creating a new tool.

The movie is 49 years old! And my 22 yearold son love's both the movie and car, Beside's it did become a broadway show as well a few years back. Not to mention O'l Chitty went o auction about  6 years ago and fetched a hefty sum of money! The kit is very rare, And I'm lucky that I have a copy of this famous automobile. You might be suprised on how many people would love to see it as a model kit once again. Who know's Moebuis brought back the old aurora Monster kit's, and being 2018 would be the 50'th for the movie they could remake the kit for that reason , Just as Round 2 has with some of the Star Trek kit's that hadn't been around since the 1970's!

Anything Aurora that Moebius has done is new tool. Monogram bought all of Aurora's assets back in the 1970s. There was a train derailment on the way to Morton Grove and a few of the tools were damaged, but more were just plain scrapped. That said, there are still a few of the tools in existence. But Monogram would be the folks to ask. I'm thinking we'd have seen it back by now if the that tool was still around.

This is one of those rare kits that would have crossover appeal. Not only would model car builders want one, but also collectors of movie memorabilia would buy them as well. I would love to have one, either a reissue or a new kit. Even a simplified one as long as it looked good on the shelf.

I've seen a list of the molds that were destroyed and the Chitty, Chitty kit wasn't one of them although that's not to say it wasn't damaged. Some of the old Aurora molds were just scrapped and I would guess that this was the fate of this one. Monogram would have looked at this one and decided that it had little market since it was based on an earlier movie and they would have had to pay royalties so I suspect the decision would have been made quickly to scrap it. I think our only hope would be a reverse engineered kit as were done with a small number of kits by Polar Lights and I'm not holding my breath. It's a kit that remains on my wish I could find one list.

I have that kit.  Back in the days when the Toledo Toy Show was still a big event,  I was killing time until we left on the second day by going through the vendors for the third or fourth time.  I noticed one vendor had his kits stacked two deep so the bottom ones on the back row were not visible.  I moved the front row and the very bottom kit on the back row was Chitty!  This was a military kit vendor so he didn't know what he had.  The box was all warped like it was wet and inside was a half built unpainted kit.  All the parts were of trees and rolling around in the damaged box.  He said it wasn't complete and wanted $10.  That was worth it even for a parts kit!   When I got it home I did inventory and the only part missing was the gas cap!  Amazing that this kit sat there the entire event!

IF someone had this tooling complete, it's marginal if it's worth reissuing.  It's a car from a 50 year old movie, and there still would be licensing to pay.  It certainly isn't worth creating a new tool.

That was a hell of a great price for that kit!!!!!........my wife got me one a few years ago as a surprise, and it was still sealed in plastic!! She wouldn't tell me how much she paid for it until last year.....$425.00.

Anything Aurora that Moebius has done is new tool. Monogram bought all of Aurora's assets back in the 1970s. There was a train derailment on the way to Morton Grove and a few of the tools were damaged, but more were just plain scrapped. That said, there are still a few of the tools in existence. But Monogram would be the folks to ask. I'm thinking we'd have seen it back by now if the that tool was still around.

It was Polar Lights (part of Playing Mantis back 15-20 yrs ago) who was "reverse-engineering" old Aurora kits.  As for doing a model build of a "real" Chitty, those cars (and there were at least 3 of them built back in the 1920's, those used pre-World War I Mercedes grand prix car chassis, greatly stretched, with Maybach and/or Benz aircraft engines left over from that war.  Versions "I" and "2" were purely race cars, built for events at the famed British high-banked oval at Brooklands.  "Chitty III" was built along the same lines, but its builder, Count Louis Zborowski later rebodied it as a road-going tourer, drove it in Western Europe on public roads.  "Chitty IV" was the largest, and after Zborowski's death, was sold to Englishman Parry Thomas, who gave it all new LSR style bodywork, ran it on a beach in England, where it crashed.  Nicknamed "Babs", the car was buried in the sand there, until it was retrieved, and restored-now on display in a museum in the UK.  Here's the story of the real Chitty's:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitty_Bang_Bang

Art