Model Cars Magazine Forum

The marketing/SPAM calls are getting weirder!

peteski

That's funny. I know a new trick they are doing is spoofing the same area code and prefix number as your own. I once had one that spoofed my own number. I knew I wasn't calling myself. LOL.

I get a lot of those..same CO area code and prefix as my cell.  They never leave a message.  I block the number, another appears in a few days.

I got so many spam/scam calls on my cell phone, I had the number changed. I would occasionally chat for a few minutes and then say really nasty things to them.

I recently got an e-mail from the Illuminati, offering to let me join.

I recently got an e-mail from the Illuminati, offering to let me join.

Don't do it. Oh, sure, you get to help run the world, but they NEVER leave you alone with calls and emails to "upgrade" to Life membership, then Patron, then Endowment, Platinum, Diamond, and on and on and on. AND they want you to host "parties" in your house to sell soap, toothpaste, herbs, and all that. They're ALMOST worse than AARP.

Scumbag dirtballs with a new twist on spoofed numbers. Got a call on the machine with some BS about my computer having been compromised, bla bla bla. Same old same old. New twist is that the reverse lookup on the number is an OLD woman out in the suburbs here, and unless it's her grandson making calls from the basement, it's pretty lame for these a-orifices to use some old lady's number. I bet she gets a bunch of screaming angry calls every day.

One bit of advise... if you buy a domain  (that's a web address)  don't use your own name!  My web provider (GoDaddy) offers a service that puts the domain in their name, masking it's owner.  I didn't understand why until I went alone!  The minute I bought the domain, I got tons of spam calls on my cell phone from companies hoping to offer me web services, programming etc.  I couldn't answer my phone for weeks.   

There was one that bothered me for months.  They would spoof the incoming phone number to appear the call was from California, New York, Texas, Washington DC and even local towns near me.   There call was a recording that said, "Hello this is Jennifer Taylor calling for Google and Bing!  We've been trying to reach you and this is your last chance to respond before we delist your website from the internet......"

I finally pushed 1 to connect to their operator and got connected to a guy who was obviously in a call center with tons of background noise.  I yelled at him and told him to take me off their call list. The calls kept on coming!   Finally I did the same again, and was greeted with a message to hit 3 to opt out. I think they must've gotten threatened from the authorities!   Finally the calls stopped.

What I don't understand is how a company thinks that they can spam you several times a day for weeks to months and that you will eventually do business with them?

These same calls started up again this week.  Spoofing numbers in the same town that my cell phone's exchange is located in.  Same recorded message.

I've been having fun lately trying to get these goofs off-script. Even asking them a question like "Where are you calling from?" or "What do you do for a living?" (in the case of those wanting money for a "charity") seems to completely blow the fuses on their 2-watt brains. It's as if you suddenly started speaking a foreign language. And I'm talking about the AMERICAN callers!

Here's another line that brings the show to a sudden and entertaining halt: "According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, you're a racist hate group. Why are you bothering me?"

Got one earlier this week on my cell phone claiming to be the IRS and it was the final notice before they were going to file a lawsuit! Listened to the end and waited for their "representative" to come on the line but alas all I got was a number to call. Haven't called it yet, waiting to pick up an air horn before I do so I can blast some idiot in a third world country with it as I am giving him my Visa card number! LOL!

Misery loves company!  I've been hit lately by a rash of those spoofed Area Code/Prefix calls on my cellphone.  Very easy to spot - 2 years ago I re-located from Los Angeles to the East Coast.  Kept my old L.A. cell number.  So whenever that Area Code/Prefix pops up, I immediately block the caller and delete the call.  Some friends from L.A. call occasionally but their numbers/names are in my approved list.

For the "Unavailable" pests and zombie-debt collectors on the landline:  I used to amuse myself by answering the phone with something like - "Tele-Com Crimes Task Force. How can I help you?"  

But that's not really a good idea.  Simply answering the phone tells these clowns that the line is active, and you'll stay on their call list forever.  Even worse, they'll probably sell your number to other crooks.  So now I just don't answer.

Misery loves company!  I've been hit lately by a rash of those spoofed Area Code/Prefix calls on my cellphone.  Very easy to spot - 2 years ago I re-located from Los Angeles to the East Coast.  Kept my old L.A. cell number.  So whenever that Area Code/Prefix pops up, I immediately block the caller and delete the call. 

Same here.. I've kept my Denver cell number though I haven't lived there in almost 10 years.  I get these calls with the same area code and prefix..they never leave a message.   I block them.