Model Cars Magazine Forum

83 Hurst Olds , put a fork in it , done

jeff f

I just received the Slixx Warren Johnson Black 83 Olds decal . Started mockup of wheel / tire to body . Using cut down Monogram Goodyear Frontrunners on old MPC front wheels . Backs are nylon with aluminum rims and an old AMT center from the 55 Chevy sedan . I got rid of the hump on the hood and enlarged the back wheel wells and reastablished the flair . Using the Charles Carpenter 55 for the rest .Hope it turns out ok .

Thanks for looking Jeff .

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

Edited by jeff f

Thanks everyone , I machine my slicks from nylon . I was shown this tip by Dave Fletcher at Portland Modelfest this spring . Mix liquid glue and bits of evergreen to make a filler . Awesome , No shrinkage at all . You can teach an old dog new tricks ! The scoop is Monogram with the droop removed .

Thanks Jeff .

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

Michael , I'll do my best explain . I use plain back nylon round stock , drill and bore to size . I E , 15 " is 15.75 to 15.875 lip to lip = .634 in 1/25 scale . Part off and mount on an expanding mandrel , then finish OD . I made some form tools for the sidewalls . Also make the OD slightly curved like a tire with air in it .Last I mill flats across the OD to show weight on them . 

The rims are made from aluminum bar stock T73 7075 .

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

A small update , chassis pan and dash fitted . I weathered the tires , fronts more so . Tipped the back of the scoop downward  , still need to fill in as needed to match windshield . I robbed the valve covers from the 88 Olds PS kit . It looks like the Monogram Camaro PS roll cage side pieces will work out as a starting point . Thanks for looking in , Jeff .

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

Weekend update while at Lake Chelan enjoying the vintage unlimited hydroplanes . Pretty happy with the stance and tire placement in the wheelwells . I really like the valve cover and axle decals , thank you Slixx .  Time to start painting .

Again thanks for your time Jeff .

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG