Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texaco gas station from Greenlight with old Mopars

Vietnam Vet67

Nice little diorama with four interesting cars too. Are you planning on adding another building, or roads? This gas station could be the start of a project. My Hooper & Co diorama started out with just the building but then took off as something larger, and I don't see me ever finishing it !

David in U.K.

Ed- That's a nice station, those Mopars look period perfect!  

Mark- I happen to be working on  one of those MRC stations. Those kits as they come are a little incomplete (no roof, interior or back walls). I'm trying to make one into a 2-bay, and I have made the baseplate larger as well ( by carving up two baseplates...).

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

• 1 month later...

Mark , you too David . the money you're going to waste on the MRC station can be well spent on enough Foam core to d something a sight more accurate and much better quality wise . Mark , I'm surprised at you especially because we have had this very same discussion on the phone as well as here . Ya'all wanna throw away a hunnert , fine .

I offered this very same plan to Greg years ago and I was ignored then and I have no doubt , I'll be ignored now too. Any time ya'all want me to do a tutorial on building small commercial buildings , let me know . I'm about to do TWO buildings in 1-24th scale for a invitational show in November 2018 . One is a three story Victorian built i 1906 , the other , a Triangular service station built 1921 .

Amoco Projek laid out flat.jpg

Amoco Projek lewis Ginter 2017.JPG

Eshaver,

the service station you have pics of here look a lot like the service station up the street from me that I am trying to replicate, the station was a Sinclair station from the late 40s I believe and was a 2 bay station, the bays were on the left side like your pics above, I think I saw somewhere on here a while back that you had blueprints or plans for several stations, would you happen to have plans or blueprints like the Sinclair station I am trying to build?

Thank you

Rod.

Here is a picture of the Sunoco gas station I worked at in the early 1960's. This is where I met my wife. That's her 1964 Corvair Monza at the pumps. Check out the price of gas!!

The station had 2 bays and was a full service station in Detroit. Across the street was a Mobil station and way in the background was a Sinclair station.

5a0f945d2d563_Anns_Corvair_at_Sunoco_gas

Mark , you too David . the money you're going to waste on the MRC station can be well spent on enough Foam core to d something a sight more accurate and much better quality wise . Mark , I'm surprised at you especially because we have had this very same discussion on the phone as well as here . Ya'all wanna throw away a hunnert , fine .

I offered this very same plan to Greg years ago and I was ignored then and I have no doubt , I'll be ignored now too. Any time ya'all want me to do a tutorial on building small commercial buildings , let me know . I'm about to do TWO buildings in 1-24th scale for a invitational show in November 2018 . One is a three story Victorian built i 1906 , the other , a Triangular service station built 1921 .

cool stuff on your site as well. Not sure I would be able to do it even if I had the instructions.

Eshaver,

the service station you have pics of here look a lot like the service station up the street from me that I am trying to replicate, the station was a Sinclair station from the late 40s I believe and was a 2 bay station, the bays were on the left side like your pics above, I think I saw somewhere on here a while back that you had blueprints or plans for several stations, would you happen to have plans or blueprints like the Sinclair station I am trying to build?

Thank you

Rod.

Rod , no , I wasn't the one who provided the Blueprints . They were posted here in this area via another member . I'm happy to send tiy dimensions in a P-M . I tried several years to get people at the magazine to at least look at doing this station and was IGNORED .

Hope you don't mind me chippin' in on this topic, but I totally agree with Ellen, in that making your own accurate buildings from foam core ( we call it foam board here in UK ) is far more satisfying than buying a ready-made scale model building. Having got to the stage where the building in my diorama is almost finished on the outside, I am now enjoying the process of detailing the inside space. Foam core is my material of choice to fabricate the walls and the sides of the staircase, and I am finding it such a wonderful material to work with. Watched a few videos to observe how model makers who know what they're doing tackle the design and build of a real building. I particularly want my Hooper & Co building to look exactly as it was in 1958 and this applies to the surrounding streets, vehicles, people and street furniture. Of course I understand that if someone wants to create a diorama in 1:64 or 1:43 or 1:76 scale, then maybe there are some good ready-made buildings available, unlike working in 1:24 scale.

David Watson

David , I refer to Foam Core as Foam Board myself and Heavens no I love anyone like yourself who can add energy into a conversation ! With that said , I just want to caution everyone in that you need to be careful as to what adhesives one uses !

If you adhere something to the Paper face , no worries ! However , BE VERY careful in that any Cynoaccrainate glue , uh Super glue to you in Rio Linda is DEATH!!!! Use either White glue  or Epoxy . Now if ya'all need my help in doing small commercial structures like service stations and dines , let me know

Around here the materials are not easy to find if one can..evergreen etc.  Some of you have more scratch building talent than others like me..I need a place or structure to start with and modify it into what I want it to be.  Ellen has been a great insperation to my ideas on building a diorama.  I think everyone would love to see any of your works or plans for them here.

Thanks Ellen for mentioning the adhesives.... Only last night I super-glued two small pieces of foam board together to support a 3D printed street lamp. This was paper side to paper side, so I've survived! When I used contact adhesive with foam board I did notice that the core between the two layers was eaten away by the adhesive.... Yikes !!!

David

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 9:47 AM, Eshaver said:

Rod , no , I wasn't the one who provided the Blueprints . They were posted here in this area via another member . I'm happy to send tiy dimensions in a P-M . I tried several years to get people at the magazine to at least look at doing this station and was IGNORED .

Hi Ellen,

Yes please PM me the Information.

Thank you

Rod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 3:16 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Ellen I do not understand why they would not want some info of a gas station from the 20's - the 70's  at some point in the magazine. Even if you only want the face and pumps for a shelf. 

They sure missed the boat that is for sure. 

I've managed to rub too many the wrong way in the magazine and model car site forums the wrong way