Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 69 Bacaruda

shoopdog

Built my Barracuda box art box stock. Painted Testors One Coat Inca Gold with Future brushed on. Experimented with doing all the trim with a silver Sharpie and am pretty pleased with the results, thanks Snake. Enjoyed that more than BMF!  Under hood shots not justified due to my lack of detailing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Excellent job! Looks really nice. I have 2 of these to build and a third will be a donor for my notchback body tribute.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. First, I'm a re-newbie to the hobby after about 50 or so years, but I've seen reference to "box art" kits or "box art" cars a few times. What's that about?

Secondly, looking at your build, I noticed you applied the "Bacaruda" decal over the door opening line. Is that the usual way to do that? I've wondered if you place the decal over the line, cut the decal in pieces then apply, or apply the decal then try and cut the line. Not a lot of my builds will have decals on them, but there will definitely be occasions.

I also really like the way the "chrome" turned out using the silver Sharpie. I'm going to have to use Sharpies and Molotow pens as opposed to using BMF. You did a great job with it. Looks good to me!

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Excellent job! Looks really nice. I have 2 of these to build and a third will be a donor for my notchback body tribute.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. First, I'm a re-newbie to the hobby after about 50 or so years, but I've seen reference to "box art" kits or "box art" cars a few times. What's that about?

Secondly, looking at your build, I noticed you applied the "Bacaruda" decal over the door opening line. Is that the usual way to do that? I've wondered if you place the decal over the line, cut the decal in pieces then apply, or apply the decal then try and cut the line. Not a lot of my builds will have decals on them, but there will definitely be occasions.

I also really like the way the "chrome" turned out using the silver Sharpie. I'm going to have to use Sharpies and Molotow pens as opposed to using BMF. You did a great job with it. Looks good to me!

Thanks Steve. The box art build is just referring to building the kit as seen on the box.

As far as placing the decals over panel line I imagine most builders would slice the decal on the line after applying it but I did not on this. Maybe someone else can weigh in on thisI have cut the decal before applying in the past and that's probably what I should of done. Now that you point it out I might go ahead and slice it and see how that turns out.

This looks great. Love the Gold and the trim work too. That decal cracks me up. I missed it until you mentioned it.

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure where the Bacaruda comes from and googling it all I see is that Bill Cosby can't pronounce Barracuda correctly,LOL.

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure where the Bacaruda comes from and googling it all I see is that Bill Cosby can't pronounce Barracuda correctly,LOL.

Haha, I missed that one too! I was talking about the upside down Hurst decal...Now, with the two decals, this is even more of a unique build. Love it.

Thanks Steve. The box art build is just referring to building the kit as seen on the box.

As far as placing the decals over panel line I imagine most builders would slice the decal on the line after applying it but I did not on this. Maybe someone else can weigh in on thisI have cut the decal before applying in the past and that's probably what I should of done. Now that you point it out I might go ahead and slice it and see how that turns out.

Thanks, Keith.

Very cool! Good color ! I've tried Future once and it looked fantastic until the next day when it dried fully and and wrinkled. Not sure why, someday I'll give it another try. Are those the kit wheels and tires?

Definitely give the Future another try. They are the kit supplied wheels and tires.