Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford Crestline

cobramike

Just finished this a couple of days ago and was waiting for a nice day to shoot some pics of her. Hope you all are kind to her. But as for me...I can take it, lol. 
Not my best but...have a look see.
I flocked the floors with a combo of red and white to give it a kick, before I hear it for the distributor...it's white because this was a custom and I thought that having a white cap would go with the scheme, almost installed a 351 with a blower, thought that would be excessive for this cruiser. Used molotow for the trim...I hate using or even attempting to use foil! UGGHHH  The interior red is over flat black.   
BTW this was a excellent kit, my only complaint is that it's really hokey to fit the firewall to the floor to the dash.  PIA!!!! Oh and the left front end wouldn't sit right to save beans. Took some grinding to convince it. Also the very hokey way the wheels are supposed to fit the so called axles, so I used some clipped finishing nails to make my own axles including the front mounting to the spindles. HA! fixed them permanently!

IMGP0016 (2).JPG

IMGP0029.JPG

IMGP0019.JPG

IMGP0020.JPG

IMGP0027.JPG

IMGP0030.JPG

IMGP0026.JPG

IMGP0025.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG

I really think a bad foil job is better than a good Molotow pen job. The stuff is quite fragile, and if protected, it gets less Chrome like. I just use it for smal details and touch up. 

A lot of people do say foiling is their less favorite part on a build, but with some persistence and a little care, it can be the coolest part, and even can get very relaxing. 

Good results don't come overnight, just don't let the learning process to scare you off of the stuff. 

I really think a bad foil job is better than a good Molotow pen job. The stuff is quite fragile, and if protected, it gets less Chrome like. I just use it for smal details and touch up. 

A lot of people do say foiling is their less favorite part on a build, but with some persistence and a little care, it can be the coolest part, and even can get very relaxing. 

Good results don't come overnight, just don't let the learning process to scare you off of the stuff. 

i have tried foiling in the past but I had terrible experiences with it.  Like you said "results don't come over night".  I think If could have finished this kit with foil this would have been allot better looking car.  Maybe I should attempt foil again.

i have tried foiling in the past but I had terrible experiences with it.  Like you said "results don't come over night".  I think If could have finished this kit with foil this would have been allot better looking car.  Maybe I should attempt foil again.

I think the BMF scare is in great part psychological. You hear horror stories about the stuff, and without noticing you get yourself convinced it's super herd to do. 

I started foiling models when I was 10 or 11 years old. At this age I first went to a hobby shop, and while there, and noticed many built models inside a glass cabinet. Not all, but most had chrome like trim. To say I was impressed was a understatement. I asked how that was done, and the owner of the shop said it was done with foil and white glue, and that he was doing it like that since the '60s. I was like, "How didn't I think of that!!" and started foiling. First you had to apply the white glue to the model, then the foil, then had it laid down the best possible, then the excess foil had to be cut, and then the excess white glue had to be wiped from the model with a wet cloth. THAT was hard. When I first got a package of the BMF you know about, I thought it was like cheating. Easy? Not exactly easy, but foiling a car like a AMT '64 Impala could be done in 30 minutes, instead of three hours.   

I think the BMF scare is in great part psychological. You hear horror stories about the stuff, and without noticing you get yourself convinced it's super herd to do. 

I started foiling models when I was 10 or 11 years old. At this age I first went to a hobby shop, and while there, and noticed many built models inside a glass cabinet. Not all, but most had chrome like trim. To say I was impressed was a understatement. I asked how that was done, and the owner of the shop said it was done with foil and white glue, and that he was doing it like that since the '60s. I was like, "How didn't I think of that!!" and started foiling. First you had to apply the white glue to the model, then the foil, then had it laid down the best possible, then the excess foil had to be cut, and then the excess white glue had to be wiped from the model with a wet cloth. THAT was hard. When I first got a package of the BMF you know about, I thought it was like cheating. Easy? Not exactly easy, but foiling a car like a AMT '64 Impala could be done in 30 minutes, instead of three hours.   

perhaps it's time to revisit foiling.  Winter is quickly approaching here and that would be a great time to learn about it. Thanks for your comments and giving me a push to try again.