Model Cars Magazine Forum

WHERE TO BUY SHARPIES IN CANADA......

As of late you boys using silver Sharpies to trim out your cars have got me intrigued....I have been addicted to BMF for decades, but for building quick, fun shelf  models your method seems to be the way to go....but where in Canada can I get just the met. silver ones, and what particular tip, style, whatever,  do you guys suggest....before driving all over town wasting gas and time, fill me in if you would....thanks in advance.....the Ace....:D

I get mine at Walmart. They used to sell singles and 4-packs, but now it seems they only have 2-packs.

They're much cheaper than Molotow (though probably not quite as good). DO get several--at least 4--because sometimes you'll need to have them standing on their heads to "drain down" while you use one.

They don't last forever, but they're (relatively) cheap. I buy a pair at Walmart every month whether I need a new one yet or not, just so I never run out.

I've gone through 8 or 10 or 12 of them so far--I've lost count.

Here's what you're looking for:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sharpie-Metallic-Permanent-Markers-Silver-Set-of-2/14906303

Edited by Snake45

I get mine at Walmart. They used to sell singles and 4-packs, but now it seems they only have 2-packs.

They're much cheaper than Molotow (though probably not quite as good). DO get several--at least 4--because sometimes you'll need to have them standing on their heads to "drain down" while you use one.

They don't last forever, but they're (relatively) cheap. I buy a pair at Walmart every month whether I need a new one yet or not, just so I never run out.

I've gone through 8 or 10 or 12 of them so far--I've lost count.

OK, I will check the joints you mention, hoping here the stores have the same as U.S. stores,,, but I doubt it. Is there a particular tip or style stated on the pack that I should get, as I guess there are different sizes....and, just how precise are these at trimming a model, that is to say if you need to do fine trim, moldings, whatever, without ending up with some to wipe off if necessary.....the Ace...:huh:

OK, I will check the joints you mention, hoping here the stores have the same as U.S. stores,,, but I doubt it. Is there a particular tip or style stated on the pack that I should get, as I guess there are different sizes....and, just how precise are these at trimming a model, that is to say if you need to do fine trim, moldings, whatever, without ending up with some to wipe off if necessary.....the Ace...:huh:

They're great for window frames, wheel moldings, wheel trim, etc., not so much for fine emblems unless they're pretty pronounced.

Rubbing alcohol takes them right off.

I've never seen any tip size except the ones I buy. It's pointed, I guess you might call it "semi-fine."

If you are doing trim work, look for the fine tips.  As far as applying it, use minimal strokes.  The ink will remove itself if you go over an area too many times before letting it dry.  Sometimes you have to give the area a couple of coats for good coverage.  Hope this helps.

If you are doing trim work, look for the fine tips.  As far as applying it, use minimal strokes.  The ink will remove itself if you go over an area too many times before letting it dry.  Sometimes you have to give the area a couple of coats for good coverage.  Hope this helps.

Yes, you usually have to at least double-coat, but the stuff dries so fast you can usually do the whole job in one sitting.

.....Thanks, boys, for jumping in here with tons of great info......I will grab some on the next trip out for other errands.....that's the great thing about this hobby and the great things about our forum....friends always weigh in with help galore....the Ace....:D

I've actually thought about doing a Silver Sharpie tutorial.

If you're going to buy, buy AT LEAST four. I've found that not all of these are created equal. One might work well for a model or two, and then BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out. Another will do three or four or five models before giving it up. Yet another might be junk from the start. That's why I like to always have several new 2-packs on hand.

.....Thanks, boys, for jumping in here with tons of great info......I will grab some on the next trip out for other errands.....that's the great thing about this hobby and the great things about our forum....friends always weigh in with help galore....the Ace....:D

Hey Ace, you need to try the Molotow pens. I had read here and in other places just how well they work but I was still skeptical. I bought some at the Group 25 show a couple of weeks ago and I am amazed. They actually produce a reflective coating that looks just like chrome. For touching up the sprue attachment points on parts these things are perfect. Goes on almost invisible. I have found that if you rub hard enough with your finger, it will dull and start to come off but that can be said of any paint. As has been stated above Wheels and Wings in downtown Toronto probably carries them and I know that Dailey Hobbies carries them because I bought them from Randy at the show. Not cheap at $11 each Canadian but after I tried one, well worth it. I even went back and pulled a few cars off of the shelf that I had previously built and touched up the sprue attachment points with a silver Sharpie and went back over them with the Molotow pen and they look way better. The stuff won't replace your BMF but it's sure going to be an excellent tool to use along side it.

Hey Ace, you need to try the Molotow pens. I had read here and in other places just how well they work but I was still skeptical. I bought some at the Group 25 show a couple of weeks ago and I am amazed. They actually produce a reflective coating that looks just like chrome. For touching up the sprue attachment points on parts these things are perfect. Goes on almost invisible. I have found that if you rub hard enough with your finger, it will dull and start to come off but that can be said of any paint. As has been stated above Wheels and Wings in downtown Toronto probably carries them and I know that Dailey Hobbies carries them because I bought them from Randy at the show. Not cheap at $11 each Canadian but after I tried one, well worth it. I even went back and pulled a few cars off of the shelf that I had previously built and touched up the sprue attachment points with a silver Sharpie and went back over them with the Molotow pen and they look way better. The stuff won't replace your BMF but it's sure going to be an excellent tool to use along side it.

Outstanding, Chris....I haven't bought anything yet but they sound like the ticket...thanks for great info and have a great turkey week end,,,,oh, by the way,,,I missed the show this time, any good or even great kits for sale ,or generally what's the scoop.......the Ace...;)