Model Cars Magazine Forum

What has this world become?

BIGTRUCK

Nope, I'll never understand how a man can do a senseless thing like this. He was obviously deranged in some way, but to choose to fire upon complete and total strangers is just way beyond anything I can imagine. And since he was a coward and chose to end his own life, we'll probably never know the whole truth.

I'm working from home today so I have the TV on in the den across from where I work as background noise.  It's been non-stop news coverage since I woke up, same reports over and over, just ending about an hour ago.  The one thing that got my attention was the list of the top massacres, and that the Luby's Cafeteria massacre of 1991 was way down at the bottom of the list.  This was the top loss of life massacre at the time, and the count of  23 dead, 20 wounded was astounding at the time, but has been eclipsed many times over since. Sad.

I knew JoJo Hennard, the perpetrator of the Luby's Massacre.  He lived directly across the street from me as a kid.  We were both US Army brats in Pirmasens, Germany.  He was a year older than me and his brother was a year younger. They were a bit mischievous, and got away  with it since their father was a colonel. He wasn't my friend, just one of the kids in the neighborhood.  There was no indication that he'd ever do something like this.  Scary.

My mother ( God rest her soul ) always said in her later years " I am glad I am my way out ". She had a big problem with all the stuff that was happening.

I know exactly what she meant. I've said to my own son many times, "I'm glad I'm my age and not your age."

The world has become a very dangerous place to live. On one side we have those who's desire to to create mayhem. On the other are those who are too myopic.  They are the ones that think it is more important to text while driving that pay attention to what is going on.  There are also the ones who ignore speed limits or other traffic laws because they just don't care or consider the consequences of ignoring said laws.

It seems these days one runs the gauntlet when you leave your house. Unfortunately I see things getting a lot worse before they get better.

It seems these days one runs the gauntlet when you leave your house. Unfortunately I see things getting a lot worse before they get better.

Sometimes the gauntlet comes into your front yard and slaps you in your house...

As long as there's irrational hatred, a range of antisocial personality disorders, and criminal greed in the world, some people will find ways to wreak havoc and sow death and destruction among their fellows.

The TOOLS people use to do these things are NOT the issue. The REASONS are.

Some fundamental flaws in human nature and various human cultures need to be addressed...if we want events like what we're seeing more and more frequently to stop.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy