Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Theme Discussion

Jantrix

I have to get in on this one year or another and some great suggestions so far (Erik actually took one) but mine are:

1. Inliners - anything straight 4, 6, 8 cylinders (or more) - from the factory or a transplant - as long as its an inline (for inspiration there was a great build a while back of a big turbo 4-cylinder Cuda).  Turbos, superchargers, etc are allowed.

2. Phantom drop tops - any convertible, roadster, barchetta, etc - as long as the factory DID NOT build one that way.  Concept cars would be ok as long as it never made production.

Am definitely looking forward to see where this goes.

1 - Oddities and wild rides - Make it out of the ordinary. The wilder the better, but must still be road legal.

For purely selfish reasons, I like this one. It's unlikely I'll be starting any new projects next year, but this might align with one I've been kicking around.

Thought of another one. 

"Scratching The Surface" - can be anything, but a significant portion of the build must be scratchbuilt. I know a lot of people here are great at scratchbuilding, but I think they are even more people who do amazing work, but don't scratchbuild anything. Then there's the mediocre builders like me, who have always wished for scratch skills! Good opportunity to "force" us to bust out the Evergreen!

Thought of another one. 

"Scratching The Surface" - can be anything, but a significant portion of the build must be scratchbuilt. I know a lot of people here are great at scratchbuilding, but I think they are even more people who do amazing work, but don't scratchbuild anything. Then there's the mediocre builders like me, who have always wished for scratch skills! Good opportunity to "force" us to bust out the Evergreen!

Dan, I admire your pioneer spirit, but participation in any CBP is always hit or miss. To force someone to jump out of their comfort zone more than usual isn't a way to insure a completed model in December. How many times have you, over the course of your modeling life, said "that's not coming out like I want" and back in the box it goes, never to be seen again. Speaking for myself, it's happened plenty. Doing themes is already pushing comfort zones. I've only finished three racers in nine runs. The no-shows were from life intervening or not inspired by the theme, in equal portions.

In any case, the Cannonball IS a competition. As such, it has always inspired builders to heavily modify or scratch build parts for their model.  You cant turn your average model car into something that can cross the country in 35ish hours without doing so. 

How many times have you, over the course of your modeling life, said "that's not coming out like I want" and back in the box it goes,

You've just described pretty much every kit I build! lolz

But I eventually finish everything, because the OCD in me cannot stand an unfinished build. 

Maybe I'm different, but I like being forced out of the comfort zone, and seeing what I can come up with. And when I see a deadline, I meet it. Call it conditioning from working in sales and management.

:)