Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Theme Discussion

Jantrix

Related image

It's time to kick around next years theme. I will be running it and hopefully participating.

So I'd like everyone who is planning on participating suggest TWO themes. Just two. We need to keep this thing manageable. Later on I'll tally it up and we'll vote. I'd also like an explanation of what your idea is. For instance if you're gonna suggest musclecars, tell us what years and level of technology allowed. Give us specifics.

I'm gonna chew on it for a while and get back to you.

I'll be in Rob. I need to get back on my entry for this year......

Anyways, my two cents worth..

1-- Race cars...its a race..full on race cars, any kind, NASCAR, Vintage, GT, Le Mans, F1, Moto GP (yes bikes), 

2-- Vintage Rally...google Peking to Paris Rally.... these guys host other ones too. Rules for cars on their site, but basically its a vintage car, no 4x4s, turned into a rally car

Thanks for taking this on Rob. Great idea for limiting the themes to two each.

1 - Oddities and wild rides - Make it out of the ordinary. The wilder the better, but must still be road legal.

2 - I like the idea of a vintage rally but with no limits on drivetrain modifications.

hmm... we've had some excellent themes in recent years so it makes it kinda hard to come up with any... if i had to dream up 2..

1. Vannonball! All van entries. Anything from a 25 Model T panel to a late model Ford transit. Any mods as long as the final product is a van. Off-road, race, etc. Basically unlimited as long as it's a van. (I'm a little biased to vans, as my profile pic may show)

2. Econo- boxball! Everything is a crappy little grocery getter with no performance upgrades whatsoever. Pacers, Gremlins, Valiants, Accords, Civics, basically anything lame and lackluster as heck. 

Well, I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for this year's CRB.

I don't know what the themes have been over the years, but here are my suggestions.

1. Life In A Dumb Decade - whether it's a car from the 80s, or an 80s-inspired build, let's celebrate the ridiculousness of the 80s. The colours, the fashions, the over the top styles, the emergence of technology, you name it. TResults will either be rad and gnarly, or they'll gag you with a spoon.

2. Spies Like Us - if you were a secret agent, what would you be driving? An Aston Martin or BMW like James Bond? A Challenger RT like Sterling Archer?  The Saint's XJS? Let's see your secret agent build. Stealthy and discreet, bulging with weapons and tech, whatever

:)

Edited by iamsuperdan

1 - Oddities and wild rides - Make it out of the ordinary. The wilder the better, but must still be road legal.

I like Dennis' idea. Here's my two.

1. Wacky Races - oddball cars, like the man said. I've got some cool ideas.

2. Pro-touring/resto-mod - A car from the past (pre-1980) with modern power plant and suspension (post-1990). Cuz everything from 1980 to 1990 was junk and not worth wasting time on.

Edited by Jantrix

I like the Spies like us, or Pro-touring. There are some cool ideas. Heres my 2.

1. Gum-Ball - Basicaly like the Gumball 3000, exotic & sports cars with playboy owners & loud graphics.

2. 4 cylinder-ball - No V8s! Only 4 cylinder engines, could be a muscle car with 4cyl transplant. anything goes as long as its got a 4cyl engine.

Really need to get stuck into my project from this year, kinda think im outa time now tho... 

I like these ideas so far ...

1. Life In A Dumb Decade - whether it's a car from the 80s, or an 80s-inspired build, let's celebrate the ridiculousness of the 80s. The colours, the fashions, the over the top styles, the emergence of technology, you name it. TResults will either be rad and gnarly, or they'll gag you with a spoon.

2. Spies Like Us - if you were a secret agent, what would you be driving? An Aston Martin or BMW like James Bond? A Challenger RT like Sterling Archer?  The Saint's XJS? Let's see your secret agent build. Stealthy and discreet, bulging with weapons and tech, whatever

3. 4 cylinder-ball - No V8s! Only 4 cylinder engines, could be a muscle car with 4cyl transplant. anything goes as long as its got a 4cyl engine. (I get ideas from this!)

Edited by Foxer

I like these ideas so far ...

3. 4 cylinder-ball - No V8s! Only 4 cylinder engines, could be a muscle car with 4cyl transplant. anything goes as long as its got a 4cyl engine. (I get ideas from this!)

The following is my opinion.

1. Life In A Dumb Decade -  A major problem is a distinct lack of viable kits from that decade.

2. Spies Like Us - The options are sooooo varied, you might as well call it Unlimited again.

3. 4 cylinder-ball -  Again a lack of kit options. How about six cylinders or less and leave it at that?

These are all good ideas guys, but lets make sure we have kit options available.

I like the 4 cyl ball. Which leads into my opposite idea. "Can you drag it?!" Lets see some big blocks and wide tires on a bmw isettas and triumph spitfires. No muscle cars allowed. Only cars that came as a 4 cylinder in full 8 second quarter mile pro street dress

1. Life In A Dumb Decade -  A major problem is a distinct lack of viable kits from that decade.

2. Spies Like Us - The options are sooooo varied, you might as well call it Unlimited again.

3. 4 cylinder-ball -  Again a lack of kit options. How about six cylinders or less and leave it at that?

These are all good ideas guys, but lets make sure we have kit options available.

Your right there arnt many 4 cyl kits avaiable, but isnt that part of the challenege... But yeah I'd be happy with 6cylinders or less, that opens up GTR's, Supra, NSX, Ford GT etc. Not sure if there are many american v6 kits tho.

I like the 4 cyl ball. Which leads into my opposite idea. "Can you drag it?!" Lets see some big blocks and wide tires on a bmw isettas and triumph spitfires. No muscle cars allowed. Only cars that came as a 4 cylinder in full 8 second quarter mile pro street dress

I was considering which of the 924/944's I had would be right, but of course, a 968 with BIG turbos would be it. Porsche 968's had 3.0 liter four cylinder's ... largest production 4-cylinder. My 944 S2 ... the last 944, had the 968 3-liter.

It would make sense to have 6's also. Maybe make it

1. 4 cylinder anything

2. 6 cylinder - no turbo or supercharger.

I was going to suggest the Pro Touring originally but it seems each year there are a number of pro touring builds. But I'd definitely be interested in this as I have an idea already.

Since this is a race in America, how about an import only theme? No American muscle. Japanese, British, Aussie, German, could even be a Ford as long as it isnt build in the US. 

I know, I know, only two suggestions.

I like the vanball and the 6 cylinder or less ideas. Here are my two.

1. Convertiball - convertibles, roadsters, phaetons, anything with the option of open air motoring.

2. 21st Century ball - Anything built from 2000 onwards. 

Well as the inventor of the sleeperball. I will throw my thoughts out there.

Some of the themes are great I like the pro-touring, the 6 or less, and the van-ball.

I like the truck idea, with anything from a Ford Courier to a Kenworth.

Rob, being it is a cross country race on public roads we need to keep with the street legal rule.

Tim

I don't know, I think there are a lot of kits of 80s products. And like I said, 80s-inspired builds would work too. A new Challenger with some 80s style paint? Have a look at Car Craft or any 80s movie, and throw that inspiration on old Bronco or something?

As for spies...James Bond mods on something, not quite unlimited class, but I see what you're getting at.

A think maybe a lack of kits could make for some interesting builds.

Not arguing, just discussing. :)

Rob, being it is a cross country race on public roads we need to keep with the street legal rule.

Tim

Oh  yes, that rule will never change.

Not arguing, just discussing. :)

No worries. That's what this thread is for.

Okay, so far the themes that have the most support are

Vannonball

80's

Pro-touring

4  or 6 cylinder 

Trucks

Keep it going. I'll leave this up for another 10 days or so.

I like the ones mentioned above...

I'll throw 2 in for consideration

Beaterball... barnfinds, grocery-go-getters, etc... with a surprise inside.

Fabulous Fifties.. all the fins and chrome you can handle.

Edited by KWT