Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Hell This is COOL!!!!!

As cars get lighter, this may be an option for the extremities such as the front and rear.... or for flaring in poor styling features for better aerodynamics at speed.

Maybe even covered wheel openings that can flex as the front wheels steer.

However, the taught surface covering the whole car becomes one BIG drum and how could it not? I would venture to bet that it makes a lot of noise going down the road. Not to mention the pressure of the air-stream vibrating the skin like a strap or tarp over a flatbed trucks load.

No, we won't see a whole car covered in such "moveable" surfaces like GINA anytime soon. But the technology will undoubtedly show up somewhere on some car pretty quick.

Actually, I can see Nissan swiping those headlights! :unsure:

:unsure: That thing wount last 5 min here in Deeetroit!As SOON as the punks saw it they'd pull a slice an dice on that skin,it would look like Andy Warhols Frankenstien! Who comes up with this crazy sh8t? It sure looks good and different,but it's not really practical unless it can be made 1000% puncture proof!!! :lol:

:lol: That thing wount last 5 min here in Deeetroit!As SOON as the punks saw it they'd pull a slice an dice on that skin,it would look like Andy Warhols Frankenstien! Who comes up with this crazy sh8t? It sure looks good and different,but it's not really practical unless it can be made 1000% puncture proof!!! :P

:P:P:blink::lol::unsure::o:P How mad would you be to buy one of those and come out of your house the next day and find your car in shreds????? :P Thats just toooooo funny!!!!

As cars get lighter, this may be an option for the extremities such as the front and rear.... or for flaring in poor styling features for better aerodynamics at speed.

Maybe even covered wheel openings that can flex as the front wheels steer.

However, the taught surface covering the whole car becomes one BIG drum and how could it not? I would venture to bet that it makes a lot of noise going down the road. Not to mention the pressure of the air-stream vibrating the skin like a strap or tarp over a flatbed trucks load.

No, we won't see a whole car covered in such "moveable" surfaces like GINA anytime soon. But the technology will undoubtedly show up somewhere on some car pretty quick.

Actually, I can see Nissan swiping those headlights! :)

50 years ago a hand held calculator had only four functions, add, subtract, multiply, and divide. It took a separate chip for each function. Now we have hand held devices that can do darn near everything.

With the rapid advances that we have seen, nano metrics, carbon fiber, kevlar, memory foam, etc... I would not be shocked if I lived to see something similar to this. But it sure wouldn't come out of Detroit.

Interesting concept, but (fortunetaly) "edge' design has about run it's course. I just can't reconcile with all the hard edges and sharp angles- people should really stop designing concepts solely on the computer.

Well, we've caught up to the past again. This is a very cool technology twist on a very old idea, that was a short term fad used by coach-builders for about 4 years in the very early 30's. I.E - using cloth for car bodies.

I'm only mentioning this for some of you guy's who didn't know, not to play this very cool idea down.

These are pics of a scratch-built 1935 Duesenberg SJ Airflow Coup', I had at the 2007 GSL. At the time of "Inspiration" - LOL :D , I was captivated by the colors and the idea of an all-cloth body. I built the car so that others could be exposed to the same things.

The original one-off car, car was built in Pasadena Calif. in 1935 by coachbuilders Bowman & Schwarts at a cost of $20,000 dollars for just the body! Chassis was extra. About $14,000 extra - in 1935 !!!

Just a bit of trivia.

Funny how things like this evolve :lol:

2008_0118ebay20070040.jpg

2008_0118ebay20070039.jpg

2008_0118ebay20070038.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

I don't think that you could do a 'Dice and Slice' number on this car. If I remember correctly, one of the remarkable things about this car is that the 'cloth' is Kevlar fabric. I may be mistaken though.

I think the idea goes all the way back to covered wagons. Weren't those metal frames wrapped in canvas? Any way, great job stretching (sorry, no pun intended) technology. I do think some of the remarks at the bottom are funny, especially about the hood opening.