Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Monogram Midget Kit

Straightliner59

I started work on this almost twenty years ago, moved on to something else, and put it back in the closet. Last night, I decided to get it out and take some better photos of it. It began as Monogram's old off-scale Midget kit. Inspired by the old Belanger Special Indy car, I cut it apart and lengthened it, to better represent one of the "big cars". I am considering finishing it up, as I don't think it would require too much time (relatively speaking) to do so. The radiator is completely scratchbuilt. The firewall, hood and seat support are aluminum sheet. Evergreen styrene tube and half-round were used to represent the chassis tubing. The dash has photo-reduced gauges, is covered with "tooling aluminum" found at a crafts store, with bezels (one of which has detached and departed) made from aluminum tubing. Most of it is from the kit, with some modifications and/or enhancements. I've said before that I love these old Monogram kits! I've also been told that I do much more work on them, than they deserve! For me, they capture a real sense of Americana and nostalgia, and, given some attention, they look pretty cool, sitting in the display case. Comments and questions welcome. Thanks for having a look!

IMG_3291cr.jpg

IMG_3293cr.jpg

IMG_3294cr.jpg

IMG_3296cr.jpg

IMG_3297cr.jpg

IMG_3299cr.jpg

IMG_3301cr.jpg

IMG_3303cr.jpg

IMG_3304cr.jpg

IMG_3311cr.jpg

IMG_3314cr.jpg

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3310cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I started an almost identical project, also about 20 years ago, also inspired by the Belanger car!  This one is looking excellent.  The thing that really impresses me is the improvements you have made to what is a very basic lump of an Offy.  Your injection and plumbing detail has given me inspiration to have another go! With numbers and signwriting this thing is going to be a knockout!

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

That's cool, Art. I guess I wasn't aware that it was their first!

Really enjoying what you're doing here. Like you, I've started a couple of championship "big cars" in 1/24 scale using these guys, 'cause they're so big. I'm still in the research phase for the most part, but I amassed a bunch of these kits over the years...including an original first-issue acetate kit that very surprisingly isn't all warped out of shape.

Really enjoying what you're doing here. Like you, I've started a couple of championship "big cars" in 1/24 scale using these guys, 'cause they're so big. I'm still in the research phase for the most part, but I amassed a bunch of these kits over the years...including an original first-issue acetate kit that very surprisingly isn't all warped out of shape.

Now that is cool, Bill! I didn't have a ton of research, when I started this, but found enough to get this close. I'm glad you like it! Thanks for saying so!