Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fairlane1320

1/24 DeTomaso Mangusta

Wow, those images from Japan look awesome. It seems like there is quite some movement on the manufacturers' side to go for "yesterday's heroes" once in a while instead of only the usual modern hypercar stuff. Beemax, for example, seem to be working on quite a bunch of interesting new releases (of old cars): Porsche 935 K2, Audi Quattro S1, Lancia Delta S4, to name but a few. Some images can be found in my German forum:

http://wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=790390#post790390

As regards the Mangusta, it remains to be seen what the market price will be - and if there will be enough stock for the interested modellers. Thanks anyway to Dann for the "warning" about the old kit. Up to this day, this has been ranked very high in my wishlist... ;)

I want to get ahold of that engine and tranny to use for a Pantera kit or two.  I hope they will sell it separate otherwise it might fall into a resin mold by accident if I buy the Mangusta kit.

I want to get ahold of that engine and tranny to use for a Pantera kit or two.  I hope they will sell it separate otherwise it might fall into a resin mold by accident if I buy the Mangusta kit.

Hi,

I'd think it would be easier and cheaper to take a Ford Windsor 351 from some Revell kit etc... and scratch build some stuff onto it.  Probably more fun too.

PS Take the tranny from a Fujimi GT40 MK1 as well.  There you have it, complete engine bay, bayam!

Some reference;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Tomaso_Pantera

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZF_transmissions

Edited by aurfalien

You can use the transaxle from Revell's Shelby Series 1, it's the 6-speed version of the ZF RBT.  Clearly Scale also casts one.

Sheesh.  If Brad from HRM did a simple kit WITH an engine it would be maybe $125 at most.  It is a shame the price is based on the limited supply and that there are no other reasonable alternatives.  

So the Japanese kit does have an engine and looks very detailed and has photoetch so at around $200 it seems more reasonable.  I guess given the limited interest in a mass market it is this or the very rare slot car ish alternative.  If someone would cast the body it would not be hard to kitbash the rest from a Pantera.

IMG_1297.PNG

Looks like a pretty sweet kit, but i'm gonna play the "crazy" card, and use the shitty kit to build my Mangusta still.