Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Ivy Gold Interior Paint Help Needed

Wondering if anyone knows of a source for paint that replicates the Ivy Gold interiors on mid '60's Pontiac GTO's.    I'd like to replicate the old '68 GTO I had way back in the day that was painted Verdoro green with an Ivy Gold interior.   MCW carries the verdoro green but can't find a good match for the Ivy color.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don  

Edited by drifterdon

The MCW prices seem kinda steep considering you only get 1 oz of paint.   I ended up ordering a 12 oz can of spray from Classic and figured I'd decant and airbrush.   I'll probably do the same with the verdoro green.  That should be easy to get from my local paint guys.   Thanks though for all the suggestions.   Now I need to update the Monogram interior to represent a '68.

The MCW prices seem kinda steep considering you only get 1 oz of paint.   I ended up ordering a 12 oz can of spray from Classic and figured I'd decant and airbrush.   I'll probably do the same with the verdoro green.  That should be easy to get from my local paint guys.   Thanks though for all the suggestions.   Now I need to update the Monogram interior to represent a '68.

You're correct, MCW paints are a little expensive, but remember, they are formulated for model cars.

By that I mean that the metallic particles in the paint are much closer to scale than most touch up paints, which I assume "Classic" is.

Automotive touch up paints can have fairly heavy flakes & your 1/25th scale kit can wind up looking like a bass boat.

Stick with pearls or similar if possible.

Paints labeled "Metallic" are likely to be wildly out of scale.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Good point.   I'll test first to make sure I'm not getting gelcoat seats.  This is actually interior paint for the real deal from Classic Industries.   Supposed to be touch up for '68 Firebird interior which was the same color as my old Goat interior.  But your point is taken on the verdoro green touch up.   Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up the MCW paint.

Edited by drifterdon

Thanks Steve.  Good point.   I'll test first to make sure I'm not getting gelcoat seats.  This is actually interior paint for the real deal from Classic Industries.   Supposed to be touch up for '68 Firebird interior which was the same color as my old Goat interior.  But your point is taken on the verdoro green touch up.   Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up the MCW paint.

I got you, the Lime Gold is actually upholstery paint.

You might be ok with that as a lot of the old car interiors were more pearl in appearance than metallic.

Sometimes you're ok with touch up paints, but I've seen a lot of very nice builds marred by metallic flakes the scale size of dimes! :rolleyes:

Steve

You might be ok with that as a lot of the old car interiors were more pearl in appearance than metallic.

Sometimes you're ok with touch up paints, but I've seen a lot of very nice builds marred by metallic flakes the scale size of dimes! :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed it works out.  

Just saw this one, and it's funny but I just finished a build with those very colors.  The Ivy Gold I used came from "The Parts Place" and it worked perfectly - metallic but no discernible flakes.  The Verdoro Green is from "Automotive Touchup" and is the best rattle can paint I've ever used.  Both a bit pricey at $20 or so but I was very happy with the results.  Good luck with yours!

IMG_0333-vi.jpg

DSC_0695-vi.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 10/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, Curt said:

Just saw this one, and it's funny but I just finished a build with those very colors.  The Ivy Gold I used came from "The Parts Place" and it worked perfectly - metallic but no discernible flakes.  The Verdoro Green is from "Automotive Touchup" and is the best rattle can paint I've ever used.  Both a bit pricey at $20 or so but I was very happy with the results.  Good luck with yours!

IMG_0333-vi.jpg

DSC_0695-vi.jpg

Talk about dredging up and old thread.   I totally missed this reply!  I think this was right around the time I had my second knee surgery.   Anyway, you totally nailed this Curt!   This is exactly what my old '68 Goat looked like.   Except mine was so rusted out that only the hood, roof and trunk lid didn't flap in the wind when I went down the highway.   Fantastic job.

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Glad I could rekindle those memories, Don.  My buddy Bill owned the Verdoro Green GTO I modeled and I had the Meridian Turquoise convertible you see in my avatar.  Hours of fun in those hot cars!

I love those old Goats so much I went out and bought a numbers matching '70 GTO.  In modeling form I'm working on accurizing the old MPC kit to represent this car.  It's painted Atoll blue and the painter gave me some extra paint after I got the full sized one resprayed.  

At some point down the road I'd like to have a complete collection of GTOs from 1964 until 1972 in 1/25 or 1/24. 

Thanks again and I'd love to see pics of your Meridian Turquoise if you have them.

Don

Edited by drifterdon