Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo P1800

Well I was tickled silly when this showed up at my front door the other day! I used to own a 1:1 '65 model of this car and thought there would NEVER be a model of it!

At least one I could find as Palmer made one in '61 but I could never find one on eBay.

Anyway, this is one of my "grails" and one I'd like to build in the next year or so, as I've got the next couple models planned out now. Here are some pics of what you get...................

P6212337-vi.jpg

P6212339-vi.jpg

Nice and very accurate body of what looks to be either a 1961 or '62 model year version of the P1800. Some minor flash around the windows and engine bay can be cleaned up with an Exacto blade.

The car barely changed from '61-'72 so the only changes were detail things such as wheelcovers, interiors, trim, etc. A wagon version (1800ES) was the only one offered after '72, as the line came to an end in '73.

P6212345-vi.jpg

Interior pieces of the kit. There's flash that'll need cleaned up, but this'll be no problem. The seats look pretty well defined as well as the door panels.

P6212341-vi.jpg

P6212342-vi.jpg

Chassis floor..............this is the way I like 'em! No interior tub to fiddle with, as the seats will be assembled on the flip side of the chassis floor. Here some cleanup will be needed too.

Chassis underside has acceptable stamping and ribbing detail. The only drawback to the kit is there is no front or rear suspension. You'll want to pick up an Aoshima MGB, or it's equivalent to rob the suspension, or raid your parts box.

P6212348-vi.jpg

Front and rear bumpers as well as grille surround.

P6212349-vi.jpg

Wheels depict the '61-'62 version..........I may or may not use these as I've seen P1800's in some really spiffy Borrani's which go with its Italian looking lines!

P6212352-vi.jpg

Engine as well as dash and steering wheel. When I get around to building mine, I'm going to add a few more detail items as I've got a ton of parts in the parts box which I can use.

I should tell you that there's no glass with the kit...............That's no trouble for me as I can fashion glass out of plain clear stencil sheet------but that may be a problem for some. Also Tapani gives you headlights and tailights which look excellent-------I just forgot to take pics of them.

Okay, and now for the bad news for us U.S. folks..............................the price is 90 Euros which as of today is $140.00 US.

That'll be pricey to some............but this will be a one of a kind kit for me for what I intend so the price was worth it!

Who knows, I may scrub the plans for my next kit, and build this one right away anyway! :lol:

Edited by MrObsessive

Glad you got it Bill! I've seen two of the kits here in Georgia, I got the Saab 96 that's somehow going to end up looking stock but running Subaru WRX STI drivetrain. The Anglia is also a neat little model. I'm anxiously awaiting Tapani's Citroen DS 19 :)

Glad you got it Bill! I've seen two of the kits here in Georgia, I got the Saab 96 that's somehow going to end up looking stock but running Subaru WRX STI drivetrain. The Anglia is also a neat little model. I'm anxiously awaiting Tapani's Citroen DS 19 :huh:

Bob,

Do you know a source for the SAAB 96 kit! Me must have!

Andy Martin

:lol: WoW Bill, My English Lit. Teacher in high school had on of those.Really a nice car, we used to do tune ups for it in auto shop.Never ever thought anyone would do a model of one, though I always thought it would make a great one.Yep, couldn't agree more, It's in the best hands possible to make a showstopper out of it.Get er Done!(my apologise to Larry the Cable Guy!) :lol: